Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good match excluding the third set. Kecmanov won the first set despite having to save 6 BPs while Sonegos was cruising on serve. In the second Sonego had to save a MP but saved it with 3 cosecutive service winners. Third set was a beatdown, which wasn't too unexpected though as Sonego basically was the better player the entire match and even won 8 points more in set 2 even without having a single BP.

Would have prefered a less anticlimatic ending, Evans-Albot style, but I guess players just wanted to get rid of this shitty torunament as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Sonego really throws me off.

Inferior player, botting through.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts
That was some tank from Kecmanovic in the end. Probably the heat and the 3 hours yesterday played a part
Sonego was better most of match but could have lost it in the first BP conceded

·
Registered
33 Posts
Awful tournament. Ugly court, weak field, almost no spectators. Just like the event in Istanbul which is now off the calendar. Seems like ATP events in Turkey just isn't a good idea - a random Future event can draw bigger crowds. Glad to see this one go to Italy or Sweden next year.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Congrats to Sonego. His serve made a big difference today. If his shot selection was better he could have won it in 2 sets, but he was still too good in the end, feeling physically better than his opponent too. I like his game, he has a very good serve, FH and uses variety too.
Quite similar to Berrettini.

Kecmanovic is very solid player, especially his BH wing is noticeable. A shot selection and play under the pressure is impressive for his age. He also looks very mature, I would give him 25, not 19. He doesn't have big weapons though and today he was too tired in the 3rd set.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Better match than I expected. Kecmanovic was pretty good, but exhausted after his survival against Thompson yesterday.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Good match excluding the third set. Kecmanov won the first set despite having to save 6 BPs while Sonegos was cruising on serve. In the second Sonego had to save a MP but saved it with 3 cosecutive service winners. Third set was a beatdown, which wasn't too unexpected though as Sonego basically was the better player the entire match and even won 8 points more in set 2 even without having a single BP.

Would have prefered a less anticlimatic ending, Evans-Albot style, but I guess players just wanted to get rid of this shitty torunament as quickly as possible.
Evans Albot was special , I'm saving that match for top 10 match this year even if MM tourney (as an example of what's tennis about)

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
That was some tank from Kecmanovic in the end. Probably the heat and the 3 hours yesterday played a part
Sonego was better most of match but could have lost it in the first BP conceded
Sonego played five sets today :shrug:

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
No, the match vs PCB was suspended at 5-5 in 2nd yesterday, so he played 3 sets plus 3 games .
Ah, my bad. Still, not a difference you can claim Kecmanovic was at a disadvantage because of it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Lorenzo clearly has an eye on the YEC that will be held in his hometown of Torino in the next few years :eek:h:

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts
Ah, my bad. Still, not a difference you can claim Kecmanovic was at a disadvantage because of it.
i believe it was some difference because the Kecmanovic match was longer, more grueling and also played at extreme heat, while Sonego match started later

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Sonego got away with this mainly due to his serve, still Kecmanovic did something (cross himself) before match point he shouldn't instead of focusing on returning the serve which was doable.

Kyrgios style tank in the end.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Sonego's grunt is really annoying and gets louder and longer at key points. It almost seems like he's trying to put his opponent off

·
Registered
419 Posts
Umpires really should start calling hindrance in extreme cases. They never do, and it's tragic. See Berretini on match point vs Auger-Aliassime.

In other news, Kekmanobitch wasn't complete garbitch today, but ever predictably lost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts