Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Federer
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Former doubles world No. 2 Oliver Marach claimed Novak Djokovic was half an hour late for their doubles match at the Mallorca Open but the ATP didn't have the courage to disqualify the Serb. In the Mallorca semifinal, Djokovic and Carlos Gomez Herrera beat Marach and Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi 6-3 7-6 (4).

"What happened? After the doubles semifinal against the Serb (Djokovic and Gomez-Herrera) was scheduled for 1:30 pm, Djokovic did not arrive until 2 pm. -- the other participants had been waiting so long for the match to start.

The ATP didn't have the courage to disqualify him. And since we were not focused we lost. Djokovic then gave a walkover in the final. I have respect for all of his achievements but that was low, I told him that too."

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,143 Posts
In 2020 the Mallorca grass tournament wasn't even held.
Marach is just a sore loser... what's new. Saw the match, they lost fair and square. What if Djokovic notified the organizers that he had a legal/valid reason to be late by 30 mins?
Most probably this scenario.

Btw it should be another time OP should have been disqualified from posting in GM, should be banished for eternal ravishment by/in The Ruins.

·
Premium Member
22,285 Posts
Marach is just a sore loser... what's new. Saw the match, they lost fair and square. What if Djokovic notified the organizers that he had a legal/valid reason to be late by 30 mins?

Btw it should be another time OP should have been disqualified from posting in GM, should be banished for eternal ravishment by/in The Ruins.
Yup exactly. The fact OP suddenly cares about Mallorca doubles tournament is endearing tho

·
Registered
Federer
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup exactly. The fact OP suddenly cares about Mallorca doubles tournament is endearing tho
He could have forfeited or tanked and let the players he supposedly cares about have the opportunity for a winner's check. Instead he gave a WO for the final. Mr. PTPA ladies and gentlemen.

·
31,413 Posts

Regardless of GOAT status and all of that (I don't care to discuss) that, if this story is true, it is unfortunate Djokovic would do that. :( But I get the ATP not kicking him out as he is obviously a big draw for Mallorca (even though he has no fans :bolt:)

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,143 Posts
He could have forfeited or tanked and let the players he supposedly cares about have the opportunity for a winner's check. Instead he gave a WO for the final. Mr. PTPA ladies and gentlemen.
He gave a walkover because supposedly his partner Gomez-Herrera picked up an injury or he himself didn't want to risk overplaying right before Wimbledon, both valid reasons to withdraw.
(We don't actually know what happened, both versions were distributed on the internet.)

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,143 Posts
Regardless of GOAT status and all of that (I don't care to discuss) that, if this story is true, it is unfortunate Djokovic would do that. :( But I get the ATP not kicking him out as he is obviously a big draw for Mallorca (even though he has no fans :bolt:)
Actually there were quite a few locals who cheered for him and Gomez-Herrera. Not everywhere there are Arthur Ashe 2015 final conditions. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Former doubles world No. 2 Oliver Marach claimed Novak Djokovic was half an hour late for their doubles match at the Mallorca Open but the ATP didn't have the courage to disqualify the Serb. In the Mallorca semifinal, Djokovic and Carlos Gomez Herrera beat Marach and Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi 6-3 7-6 (4).

"What happened? After the doubles semifinal against the Serb (Djokovic and Gomez-Herrera) was scheduled for 1:30 pm, Djokovic did not arrive until 2 pm. -- the other participants had been waiting so long for the match to start.

The ATP didn't have the courage to disqualify him. And since we were not focused we lost. Djokovic then gave a walkover in the final. I have respect for all of his achievements but that was low, I told him that too."

First, Marach has history of bitching about Djokovic. I don't remember other examples, but I remember reading about it.
Second, top doubles tennis player nonchalantly says about opponent's late arrival to the match "since we were not focused we lost" 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
Federer
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found the culprit.

Carlos Gómez-Herrera is a Spanish tennis player. Gómez-Herrera has a career high ATP singles ranking of World No. 268 achieved on 7 May 2018. He has a career high ATP doubles ranking of World No. 195 achieved on 26 July 2021. Wikipedia
Born: April 30, 1990 (age 31 years), Marbella, Spain
Height: 1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)
Coach: Pepe Imaz
Turned pro: 2007

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
wasnt nadal also late for his match against donaldson in IW. Donaldson even made a joke that they wouldnt start without Nadal. Marach complaining about something so petty, many matches start late due to different reasons.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts