Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: foxsports.com.au/tennis

Courier backs Adelaide novelty

July 25, 2007 AMERICAN great Jim Courier is to invest and star in a new and novel Adelaide tennis tournament.

Former world No.1 Courier and fellowed retired stars such as Pat Cash and Mats Wilander are expected to headline the event to be held days before the 2009 Australian Open.

The former players will be joined by current and junior players in a round robin format of teams from Australian, Sweden, the USA and Russia.

The tournament is the brainchild of South Australian tennis identities Darren Cahill and Roger Rasheed.

Cahill said today they approached Courier, a four-time grand slam winner and now prominent television commentator, and the American promptly invested in the tournament and said he'd play.
Adelaide's Memorial Drive will change its surface from Rebound Ace to the Open-sanctioned plexi-cushion courts to cater for the event.

The players will compete simultaneously on two courts, separated by corporate areas and surrounded by huge screens.

"We are going to cater for all the people who have never seen tennis before, we want them to absorb it and love it," Rasheed said of the event titled the World Tennis Challenge.

Cahill said current players including Marat Safin, Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Joachim Johannson had indicated initial interest in playing.

The inaugural three-night tournament will be held January 15-17, 2009.
Intresting that retired players are going to play as well, should be a good tournament hopefully they show it in Australia.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
nothing like retired pros mixing it in with the juniors and current guys.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought both matches being played at the same time next to each other is a little silly in that one point finishes and people will cheer while another point is still progress.

Hope Lleyton plays.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Kafelnikov is fat now, I never expected him to get fat.

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
Kafelnikov is too fat as Jose Luis Chilavert :haha:

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
retiree, current and junior all in the mix, its interesting.
i think juniors can benefit from this the most.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
retiree, current and junior all in the mix, its interesting.
i think juniors can benefit from this the most.
Yeah, I think theres a good chance Bernard Tomic will play in it, by then he should be world no.1 junior and have won a couple of junior slams and playing pro tournaments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts