Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
As much as I love the guy, he’s really been through a lot over the last decade, I don’t know how he handles it psychologically.

Wish him all the best, even if he decides to come back and give us just one epic duel with the top tier players.

Reactions: MWW

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
He should really call it a day by now. His stuborness is admirable but does it make any sense to continue?
Depends. Is he doing that first and foremost for the sake of quality of life or because he's desperate to come back to competitive level? I have not been following his news in the past months, so I don't know. But if I had to guess, I'd say the former plays a bigger role.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
At this point, these surgeries just need to happen so he can live his life as pain free as possible. He really needs to call it a career as it’s beyond obvious he won’t be able to sustain playing beyond maybe a few months without getting a new injury. Sometimes it just wasn’t meant to be. At least he has a slam.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
All the best foor poor Delpo. I can feel his pain, just as well as the pain of his fans, and I hope that he'll be able to live a painfree life after this surgery. It's totally secondary right now if we'll ever see him on top level tennis courts again.

There are a few players who can surely relate to Delpo's pain. Andy and Kei coming to my mind first, then some former stars and stars-to-be, who were very promising but never made it to the top due to injuries.

I would never wish this kind of fate for anyone, but in this life we unfortunately rarely get to decide or choose on these things. We'll just have to learn to accept it.

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts

How can we go from 2018 to now?

He was just about to be back on track with the wrists, overall level of health and level of play. Del Potro was basically the 4th best player of the year.

Somehow he falls done and shatters something in the knee.

Just a few.

I have now been a fan for 11 years, which is crazy to think about... but its whatever at this point and we all now he is going to come back, again , again and again , until he is rolled out on a surgery bed in his PR R1 match US Open 2025...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
He should really call it a day by now. His stuborness is admirable but does it make any sense to continue?
He declared a couple of months ago that he wanted to end his career on his own terms and not by an injury. He also said that his parents never saw him play "live" in a GS tournament, and he would really love this to happen before he retires. My guess is that he will try at least to come back for a kind of "farewell tour" in 2021 and if the knee is not too bad, maybe for more.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Well, this is really sad, I hope he can make another comeback and retire on his terms, although at this point it seems unlikely. He, and maybe murray should think about retiring, is it worth it at this point? There is life beyond tennis, they are still young people, its not worth keep playing if you end up with a broken body or in a wheelchair by 50.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
That sucks. Del Porto has possibly been even unluckier than Murray over his career with injuries.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I lost count how many surgeries DelPo had and how many years on tour he missed.

And we're talking about a player from the Djokovic gen. How's Murray's metal hip doing?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts

1 - 20 of 35 Posts