Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guillermo "the little butcher" Coria cuts down Horna 6/2 6/2 to the finals of Idea. Is he going to have enough for the hardcourt season???

Rafael "too good to be playing challengers" Nadal reaches the finals of Castilla, brushing past Paul Baccanello 7/6 6/4.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Coria's game might not be enough for the hardcourt season. I'd really like to see him improve on hardcourt because he'll have to in order to be a really elite player.

I cannot believe the scores he has been racking up.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Coria has done well on hardcourts before, so I don't know wtf everybody has been going on about lately. No, he's not going to beat Andre on hard like he can on clay...but Andre quite obviously isn't going ot beat him on clay like he can on hard, so where is the problem here?

Coria made the 4th round in Australia, beating a couple decent players. I mean, that is played on a hardcourt of some sort... or did they change it to clay and nobody told me? He also had mp to win a hardcourt tourmant last fall (Brazil) but failed to convert. Again, I might be making this up, but that victory would have been just as good as Ferrero winning Hong Kong or whatever else was. Did he not also rech the 4th round in Miami?

Nah, ignore me. Coria can't win off of clay.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guille!

Coria defeats Ferrer to win title in Sopot
Sopot, Poland (Sports Network) - Third-seeded Argentine Guillermo Coria beat unseeded David Ferrer of Spain in straight sets, 7-5, 6-1, to capture the championship at the $575,000 Idea Prokom Open.

Coria earned $63,000 for his victory and collected his fifth-career singles title.

The 21-year-old Coria improved to 2-1 lifetime against Ferrer. In their previous meetings, Ferrer defeated Coria in three sets in a quarterfinal encounter on clay at Umag in 2002, while the Argentine crushed the Spaniard, 6-1, 6-1, in Stuttgart this year.

The red-hot Coria has won the last 32 sets that he has played. He has captured his last three events, also winning in Kitzbuhel and Stuttgart.

Coria improved his 2003 clay-court match record to an impressive 38-5 and also extended his match winning streak to 15 with the victory.

The 21-year-old Ferrer played in his third-career final and failed to win his second title. His lone championship came in 2002 at Bucharest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts