Mens Tennis Forums banner

Anna K. and Lindsay: Moscow Situation as of Thursday

3K views 66 replies 29 participants last post by  the cat 
#1 ·
PLAYERS IN WOMEN'S KREMLIN CUP IN FOR TOUGH COMPETITION

MOSCOW, SEPTEMBER 25, RIA NOVOSTI - World top-ten Lindsay Davenport of the United States and Russian Anna Kournikova face a tough challenge at the Kremlin Cup tournament - getting on the acceptance list.

At a news conference Wednesday, Alexei Selivanenko, who manages the women's competition at the tournament, explained it this way:

"The reason is, Davenport applied for the competition too late and Kournikova just doesn't qualify for the main events on account of her low rating." If Kournikova is keen to play anyway, the only option available to her is a wild card entry, that is, a personal invitation from the event's organizers, Selivanenko said.

However, competition is tough even for wild cards. Besides Kournikova, Elena Bovina and Dinara Safina are both bidding for the entry, among other Russian players.

Things are even tougher for Davenport, who Selivanenko said can only play if some player listed earlier quits the competition.

The star-studded Kremlin Cup tournament is due in Moscow from September 28 to October 6.

See less See more
#13 ·
if i were Lindsay,i refused to play there.it's a shame not giving a WC to a former N.1 in the world and Grand Slam Champion.when they said "u must wait someone withdraws cos u dont get a WC" Lindsay should have said "ok bye bye!"

#15 ·
Unfortunately there's a little more involved with Lindsay's situation. There are certain rules that have to be followed for the Gold Exempt stuff.

Wish List:
1. Someone withdraws ~ Lindsay is in!
2. Anna K. gets in main draw w/ 3 wins in Qualies
3. Bovina gets a WC

#16 ·
that's not her loss,Eggy...that's stupidity from Moscow tourney director.it's not a thingy Anna vs Lindsay,they both deserve a WC!

#22 ·
Any of the 32 women could win the title just as some of the 32 will go out in the first or second rounds. Nothing is for certain, Lindsay could have lost in the first or second round just like anyone else.

Also as in most tournaments the local players get priority - even Anna K wasn't sure of a WC such is the level of competition.

Whoever is in or out, this is sure to be a good tournament:D

#26 ·
After reasding y_s's post aboit what the papers are saying, I am thinking this is all a big tease; that they always meant for Anna to play, but wanted to play some sort of game for some God-knows-what reason, maybe to teach Anna some sort of loyalty lesson? Or to increase excitement ahead of the event?

In any case, at this late date, I have given up hope that Lindsay will play in Moscow, and instead I am looking forward to her next tournament. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.