Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLAYERS IN WOMEN'S KREMLIN CUP IN FOR TOUGH COMPETITION

MOSCOW, SEPTEMBER 25, RIA NOVOSTI - World top-ten Lindsay Davenport of the United States and Russian Anna Kournikova face a tough challenge at the Kremlin Cup tournament - getting on the acceptance list.

At a news conference Wednesday, Alexei Selivanenko, who manages the women's competition at the tournament, explained it this way:

"The reason is, Davenport applied for the competition too late and Kournikova just doesn't qualify for the main events on account of her low rating." If Kournikova is keen to play anyway, the only option available to her is a wild card entry, that is, a personal invitation from the event's organizers, Selivanenko said.

However, competition is tough even for wild cards. Besides Kournikova, Elena Bovina and Dinara Safina are both bidding for the entry, among other Russian players.

Things are even tougher for Davenport, who Selivanenko said can only play if some player listed earlier quits the competition.

The star-studded Kremlin Cup tournament is due in Moscow from September 28 to October 6.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i think Anna will prob get a wildcard!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
One of Moscow dailies says that by Friday night it was still undecided, but the decision will likely be made in favor of Kournikova.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anna should have been in qualies to earn a spot! And Lindsay- entered too late--tough!

I'm sure if it came down to it, Anna will get spot!

·
Registered
71 Posts
You think after her showing in the US Open they wouldn't give it to Bovina? And Dinara Safina is one of their rising stars. And Marat's Safin's sister.

More relevant, does the head of the Russian Fed Cup team have anything to do with the choice?

·
Banned
3,527 Posts
if i were Lindsay,i refused to play there.it's a shame not giving a WC to a former N.1 in the world and Grand Slam Champion.when they said "u must wait someone withdraws cos u dont get a WC" Lindsay should have said "ok bye bye!"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unfortunately there's a little more involved with Lindsay's situation. There are certain rules that have to be followed for the Gold Exempt stuff.

Wish List:
1. Someone withdraws ~ Lindsay is in!
2. Anna K. gets in main draw w/ 3 wins in Qualies
3. Bovina gets a WC

·
Banned
3,527 Posts
that's not her loss,Eggy...that's stupidity from Moscow tourney director.it's not a thingy Anna vs Lindsay,they both deserve a WC!

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
they don't both deserve one.. she could have entered
Vera deserved one as well.
Elena Likhovtseva is more deserving of a WC than either Anna/Lindsay

Sveta and Elena B rightly got one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Who told you that when you are russian you deserve a wild card better than Lindsay???

Its a shame for the tournament organizer not have Lindsay on the draw.

Come on Lindsay, its their lost not yours!!!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lindsay DESERVES the wildcard better than all of them!!!!!!
She could win the title unlike others who will just waste their entry in a lost in the first round or second round

·
Registered
49 Posts
If this was an american event lindsay would get a WC,

since this is a russian event, it only seems fair a russian gets the WC.

for me anyway ;)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts