Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...i'm not sure if this kind of thread is allowed and if it's not i'm really sorry, I don't really know the rules very well, but I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on what political party Andy belongs to? Maybe it's just me, but i've always wondered:)

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
I don't think he belongs to any, and honestly, I've never wondered. Thankfully, he has kept his public commentary to sports, the area that he can best comment on, followed by music, movies, tv and books. I don't even know if he votes, and if he is on the road all the time and can't educate himself on the issues properly, that may be the best thing for him.

By the way, what political party do you belong to?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I don't think anyone really knows for sure, but I've heard he leans more towards the Democrat side. I personally think he doesn't interest himself much in politics, but he got a kick out of Stephen Colbert's book :shrug: :lol:

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Colbert's book seems pretty funny. I have it but I only read the first 3 pages or so, I was nearly in tears from laughing. I need to find that thing and finish reading it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a democrat. I guess i've wondered because he's from Texas which is generally considered Republican, but I always thought of him as liberal, but you're right maybe he doesn't even belong to a party:shrug:

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
I forget where he said it but he said in a press conference not terribly long ago that he doesn't get involved in it at all. So I think it'd be best - if you really care - to assume nothing either way :lol: as for liking Colbert, my dad does too, and he's very conservative so I dunno if that means much :p Plus Andy's buddies with Bush Sr and Mattress Mack and is from the midwest. Yes he's from Texas, but Austin is liberal as far as Texas goes. He also makes a lot of money and super rich people tend to be conservative - at least fiscally.

So I really think it's impossible to say. Can't really assume a person's political leanings unless they say so themselves. So I think that'd be the safest thing to do about Andy :) If I had to guess, I'd guess he leans Republican, but it's just a guess and I wouldn't say it with any confidence whatsoever :shrug:

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Colbert's book seems pretty funny. I have it but I only read the first 3 pages or so, I was nearly in tears from laughing. I need to find that thing and finish reading it.
I'm almost done with the book and it's probably the funniest thing I've read. It makes up for the show not being on.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
This girl I know who's met him at a bunch of tournaments (aka she stalks him :tape: :lol:) overheard him bashing the Iraq war as "stupid", so that's why I said leans towards Democrat :) but I could be completely wrong for all I know. I'm pretty sure he belongs to the Apathetic party ;)

I need to read it. I asked for that as a Christmas present :lol:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I recall Andy saying that he did not vote in the 2004 presidential election because he was not familiar enough with the issues. Based on those comments, I would Andy in the indifferent/apathetic non-party.

If I had to guess, I would bet he is somewhat libertarian - moderate/liberal on social issues and conservative on fiscal issues.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
If Andy belongs to any party, it's the 'Let's party.' Just my guess.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
It's possible that he leans either way and I'm sure he has at least some opinions about a few of the issues, but I doubt he votes if he doesn't feel strongly about a candidate and/or an issue.

I think that he's doing the right thing in not disclosing anything related to politics because it would just polarize people for or against him because of his opinion in an area that he's not very educated. He's a smarter person than he pretends to be, but that doesn't mean he should give his opinions about volatile issues that have nothing to do with tennis.

I saw President Bush's daughter Jenna do an interview about her book and they were trying to get her opinion about political issues. I was pleased to hear her say that she doesn't feel she knows enough about the issues to comment one way or another - I can respect that. I think Andy takes a similar stance.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
he's a commie.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
nat |X

ok something about this whole discussion gave me deja vu, so i searched the forum for republican and found a discussion from over 3 years ago when Brad (who was still andy's coach remember) went on Sean Hannity's radio show and said Andy leaned republican.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=772129#post772129 and following many posts - I listened to a repeat of it and summarized in this post.

:shrug:

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
he's a bushie.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Wow Deb, nice digging :lol:

·
Registered
11,307 Posts