·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the record (imo):

1) Roddick is a great server
2) Roddick is a great competitor and on the big points generally plays well
3) Roddick is a good mover (laterally)

Roddick is clearly not great from the back of the court, and his returns leave a little to be desired. However, he is not Karlovic one-dimensional and although his FH has fallen away a bit over the years, his BH has become a bit more consistent.

As long as he is 100% fit he will always get his share of wins, and if he gets beat, his opponent normally has played very good tennis.
Always admirable in a player to at least make your opponent beat you. ;)

(edited through my over exaggeration)

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
1. His major strength
2. Depends on what surface he plays the big points well, but as a competitor for the most part he is very good in that field.
3. You are kidding.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the record (imo):

Roddick is clearly not great from the back of the court, and his returns leave a little to be desired. However, he is not Karlovic one-dimensional and although his FH has fallen away a bit over the years, his BH has become a bit more consistent.

As long as he is 100% fit he will always get his share of wins, and if he gets beat, his opponent normally has played very good tennis.
I think thats more realistic, he is a good mover.
Just watch the point against Dima at Queen's for proof, im always impressed with his guts and determination. He doesn't have the footwork of a Federer or the quick steps of Hewitt/Canas but he gets to a lot of balls especially on the FH side with the squash shot!

·
124,507 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Watch his serve, grounstrokes and movement on clay.
I'm talking generally here, over the course of an ATP season and clay doesn't make up the 12 months.

·
124,507 Posts
Watch his serve, grounstrokes and movement on clay.
We're talking generally here, over the course of an ATP season and clay doesn't make up the 12 months. ;-)
I only made reference to his movement and nothing else, the other 2 factors I already made my points on.

He is not that good a mover and he never will be, he has other facets to his game.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Movement= anticipation/flat speed/footwork/heart

Imo Roddick gets to enough balls and keeps enough rallies alive to be qualified as a good mover.
(imo of course, i respect your' GWH)

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
For the record (imo):

3) Roddick is a very good mover

:haha: Even his fans said that one of his problems is that he always stand there and let his opponents hit shots pass him.

·
124,507 Posts
He gets a lot of short balls from that huge serve, so he doesn't have to move that much to put them away, but he doesn't have great anticipation or movement.

He'd be as fast as Safin now and Safin has had 2 knee surgeries.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Was this thread started before Andy^s match today? Andy has a great serve, a good forehand, is a fair mover, poor backhand and not very smart on court. He is, unfortunately, an underachiever. If Andy doesn^t pick it up at the USO, Connors will be gone as a part time coach.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I started it after the match, Roddick gets panned on here and for what im not sure?????
He's a good tennis player, nothing spectacular and I dont think he has underachieved winning a slam.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Was this thread started before Andy^s match today? Andy has a great serve, a good forehand, is a fair mover, poor backhand and not very smart on court. He is, unfortunately, an underachiever. If Andy doesn^t pick it up at the USO, Connors will be gone as a part time coach.
Do you mean Connors will quit or Andy will fire him?

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
Roddick's movement has gotten worse as he has gotten older and heavier. He was a good mover when he was 20, 21, 22. Physically speaking, he's still pretty fast and athletic, but has poor instincts and court positioning. There are few players in the top 50 that are easier to hit a winner off of the ground against than Roddick.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Roddick's movement has gotten worse as he has gotten older and heavier. He was a good mover when he was 20, 21, 22. Physically speaking, he's still pretty fast and athletic, but has poor instincts and court positioning. There are few players in the top 50 that are easier to hit a winner off of the ground against than Roddick.
Too much cheetos? :p

·
Banned
253 Posts
For the record (imo):

(edited through my over exaggeration)
Listen here, Jimmy. The eagle has landed -- and carried off the duck.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts