Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should Roddick return to the tour?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Retired Roddick defeats up and coming Tiafoe in Atlanta in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. :eek: :worship:

Older Strong Era players > today's youngsters. :shrug:

But then we already knew that.

For sure, Andy Roddick should come out of retirement now.

He retired too soon. He didn't foresee that almost everyone good is declining and the youngsters aren't good enough.

He could be inside the top 20 for sure in this Djok. era.

Might even make the World Tour Finals if there are any more injuries to guys like Ferrer, Raonic, and Nishikori.

Look who he has to beat. He has to play better than #20 Troicki, #21 Robredo, and #22 Karlovic. Andy is 18-2 against those has-beens.

He could probably still make semis at Wimbledon. If Gasquet could do it, why not Roddick?

What do you think he should do?

Roddick 5-4 vs. Djokovic

:cool:

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, corrected score. Thanks.

Yes, he retired for a reason, but could he come back if things have changed?

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Why hate on Djokovic here? Also :haha: for Roddick being from the strong era.

The 5-4 H2H is skewed since the most of the Roddick wins (all except Dubai 2008) were during Djokovic bad time in 2009 and early 2010. Not to mention that despicable heat influenced match on AO 2009 that should have been played with the closed roof.

Before and after Djokovic simply owned Roddick. 6-1 6-2 on grass :haha: 2008 USO demolition :haha:, and so on, ...

Similar thing happened with other players vs Djokovic, say Tsonga - who beat Djokovic 4 or 5 times during the same period, but was unable to do is since (except when Djokovic is focused on his pregnant wife and upcoming child last summer) and their h2h is now heavily in Djokovic's favor.

It helps to look at some facts sometime instead mindlessly spewing meaningless hate.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I doubt he has the real drive anymore. At his peak he would easily be top 10 in this era I feel. But I like him a lot in the commentary booth (insightful, witty, pretty unbiased) so I think he's better off there now.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Why hate on Djokovic here? Also :haha: for Roddick being from the strong era.

The 5-4 H2H is skewed since the most of the Roddick wins (all except Dubai 2008) were during Djokovic bad time in 2009 and early 2010. Not to mention that despicable heat influenced match on AO 2009 that should have been played with the closed roof.

Before and after Djokovic simply owned Roddick. 6-1 6-2 on grass :haha: 2008 USO demolition :haha:, and so on, ...

Similar thing happened with other players vs Djokovic, say Tsonga - who beat Djokovic 4 or 5 times during the same period, but was unable to do is since (except when Djokovic is focused on his pregnant wife and upcoming child last summer) and their h2h is now heavily in Djokovic's favor.

It helps to look at some facts sometime instead mindlessly spewing meaningless hate.
Lol, only posted the H2H as bait I'm pretty sure, and look who's already biting.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Lol, only posted the H2H as bait I'm pretty sure, and look who's already biting.
So what are you saying here? Basher = masterclass?

Another hater double account.

Also baiting is against the rules here. You will be reported.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
So wwat are you saying here? basher=masterclass?

Another hater double account.

Also baiting is against the rules here. You will be reported.
Yes we are one and the same.

Respectfully,
Masher

EDIT: Just to add and not totally go offtopic. This topic isn't even about Djokovic. I'm a fan of Roddick but I'm ready to admit Djokovic would beat Roddick 9/10 times on anything besides grass, where I think Roddick has a fair shot. But you probably already think that is hating so whatever.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I doubt he has the real drive anymore. At his peak he would easily be top 10 in this era I feel. But I like him a lot in the commentary booth (insightful, witty, pretty unbiased) so I think he's better off there now.
I mostly agree with you here. The grind of the tour is probably not high on his list.

But if he decided to seriously make a comeback, where do you think he would fit in?

Could he be USA #1 and play in the Olympics in RIO in 2016 (assuming he met eligibility req.)? Could be another motivator... :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Yes we are one and the same.

Respectfully,
Masher

EDIT: Just to add and not totally go offtopic. This topic isn't even about Djokovic. I'm a fan of Roddick but I'm ready to admit Djokovic would beat Roddick 9/10 times on anything besides grass, where I think Roddick has a fair shot. But you probably already think that is hating so whatever.
Why did you mention Djokovic and H2H in the OP then? Why start the thread with the hate and Djokovic bashing if the thread is about Roddick?

The 2011+ Djokovic would beat any Roddick in straight sets 10/10 times on any surface. Saying anything else is underrating Djokovic and being extremely anti Djokovic biased.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I mostly agree with you here. The grind of the tour is probably not high on his list.

But if he decided to seriously make a comeback, where do you think he would fit in?

Could he be USA #1 and play in the Olympics in RIO in 2016 (assuming he met eligibility req.)? Could be another motivator... :)

Respectfully,
masterclass
Yes, I think he could. But that's also because American tennis has been pretty bad lately.

If he went for it full 100%, top 10 may still be achievable. Somewhat half-assed he could still get top 20 maybe.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Why did you mention Djokovic and H2H in the OP then? Why start the thread with the hate and Djokovic bashing if the thread is about Roddick?

The 2011+ Djokovic would bet any Roddick in straight sets 10/10 times on any surface. Saying anything else is underrating Djokovic and being extremely anti Djokovic biased.
and saying that is disrespectful to roddick

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Sure, he can come back so Djokovic can fix that H2H to a realistic 10-5.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, and by the way, I have a lot of respect for both Roddick and Djokovic.

I even mention and acknowledge in the OP, that this is the Djokovic era.
And then I simply compare the H2H and the image to show how competitive Roddick was with a great player like Djokovic.

In the opposite scenario, Djokovic might have had results like Roddick and Roddick, Djokovic. Roddick is given too little credit on this forum. He might have been a 7+ slam champion in other circumstances.

I have no idea where this hate rant is coming from. Far too defensive fans here. They should be happy I am comparing them in a respectful light.

P.S. Look at my avatar.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: Seingeist

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
You're very delusional. The fact that you can even put Djokovic in the same sentence as a weak-era mug like Roddick who is nowhere near as talented or good as Djokovic is laughable.
Pretty much this. Thanks.

This whole thread and attempt to disrespect Djokovic with a thread like this is a clear indication how desperate, delusional and butthurt Fedtards are at this point. I just couldn't believe my eyes when I read the OP. So much hate and delusion. Why? :shrug:

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ Simply sounds like more Roddick hating going on...

Reminder that Andy had to play against Roger at his peak and other strong era players, many of whom are still in the top 30 ten years later.

:shrug:

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
252 Posts
Pretty much this. Thanks.

This whole thread and attempt to disrespect Djokovic with a thread like this is a clear indication how desperate, delusional and butthurt Fedtards are at this point. I just couldn't believe my eyes when I read the OP. So much hate and delusion. Why? :shrug:
This guy, I can't:haha:

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One must discourage all of this disparaging talk regarding great players.
It is derailing and disrupting the point of the thread.

Players other than Andy Roddick mentioned here are only for purposes of serious comparison to gauge Roddick's possibility of returning to competition, and if he did, how he would do.

Hopefully,
masterclass

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You're very delusional. The fact that you can even put Djokovic in the same sentence as a weak-era mug like Roddick who is nowhere near as talented or good as Djokovic is laughable.
djokovic more talented than roddick? we are speaking about the guy, whose whole game is based on the opponents making errors.
In 2008, the same djokovic lost to roddick in straights in dubai, just few weeks later, after he supposedly beat healthy federer in ao semis...the same fed, that schooled djokovic in us open final couple of months ago

1 - 20 of 70 Posts