Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
48,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roddick was asked in his post Nadal match press conference the following question:

Q. You talked about negativity in the media a few times this week. How different do you think the media is now compared to when you grew up reading about Agassi and Pete and everybody?

ANDY RODDICK: Um, well, I just think the general -- it's not -- you know, even if you look at -- there's just so many more outlets. There are so many more outlets now. At the beginning of Pete and Andre, I couldn't go online and every person with access to a computer was all of a sudden a journalist. (Surely talking about MTF here!) You know, those are the facts of it. It didn't exist like that. My beef was just it's tough for me to sit back and watch a match and see a guy 20 in the world in tennis be referred to as a journeyman; but then you look -- let's take for instance a Major League Baseball All Star. There were 87 of them this year. But if you say you're an all star there is a certain amount of clout that comes along with it, correct? I'm not sure if it's a 12 or 15 person roster in the NBA, but if you're 24 in the world you're an all star in the NBA. You know, and I don't like people mispronouncing names of guys 22 in the world. I think just at a certain point we need to build it up and maybe show people how good these athletes really are. There's probably less guys making a really, really good living in tennis than there are major league all stars. You know, I think it's a hard thing to do, and I don't think it's always presented that way. It's not me being bitter. I'd rather, you know, point out how good some of these players are more than three guys or four guys.
What do you think?

Is Roddick correct? Is there too much negativity in the media? Do the media and commentators not know their shot, mispronouncing names like Dolgopolov when he's top 25 in the world?

I think Roddick has a real point here.

·
Registered
27,242 Posts
The media are glory hunters obviously to cater for their audience almost all glory hunters too.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
I liked the part where he said he's not being bitter. Almost as if he saw that thread calling him bitter. How eerie.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I'm sure players are aware of MTF. Hockey players and commentators reference HFboards from time to time and this place is just as big as that

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Roddick is 100% right about this. It's a shame he undercuts his moral authority with an entire career of reprehensible on-court behavior towards officials.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Maybe if Andy Roddick would spend less time reading his press--both postive and negative--then he'd still be in the top 10?

He's the one who "courts" the media for goodness sakes. Doesn't he have a twitter account? Isn't he always holding court at pressers or making comments like this?

If Andy is so bothered by the "media" including but not limited to blogs and forums, then don't read the stuff.

For a multimillionaire, Andy sure is sensitive!

And for the for record, I don't think a person can compare a team sport with a individual one.

I mean.. the top track and field stars, for example, probably don't make as much as Andy much less the ones who are struggling. And I know for a fact boxers don't make all that much--even some who are title holders! Sure there's the Manny Pacquio's, but most don't have his kind of success.

So Andy boo hoo. Cry me a river.

Oh, and I should have said a multimillionaire tennis player married to a super-model. How trite is that?

The thing is I'm sure his wife catches some grief, too, being a super model/aspiring actress and all, but you don't hear (or read) her bitching and moaning.

Dang, Andy, welcome to the world of being a public figure! For every positive written about a celebrity, I would imagine there is at least 10 negatives. It's just the nature of the beast.

And if he's going to get that bothered by it, then don't read the shit, retire his twitter account, and quit mouthing off at tournaments and pressers giving people something to talk about.

It's like Andy wants to control what people say. Forget about it.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Roddick was asked in his post Nadal match press conference the following question:

What do you think?

Is Roddick correct? Is there too much negativity in the media? Do the media and commentators not know their shot, mispronouncing names like Dolgopolov when he's top 25 in the world?

I think Roddick has a real point here.
:shrug:

I think he’s talking more about bloggers. If he were talking about MTF he would be pointing out that top 5 players are called mugs, talentless, craven, chokers, lucky, etc.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Roddick is a loser.

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
did smart tennis fans forget lil boy andy?

they aren't your mommy, rodloser. be grateful for your special guilt-ridden rich life, but don't be gracious to federer. :wavey: you are not popular...sorry.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
A-Rod you'd better practice and start winning some matches and stop reading MTF

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
98% of people who comment on Tennis and Tennis players aren't to be taken seriously. Many are casual fans that only know certain Top players.

True fans know and appreciate most players they watch.. it's just that they tend not to be the ones who comment. The most outspoken people who talk about tennis (and most sports actually) tend to be clueless, know very little outside the very best competitors (and in some cases only the complete elite) and largely say things slapped with a great deal of bias. MTF would be a great example of this, when you look at the sorts of things said by the majority of posters. Just go to a random thread now and read a random post.. I guarantee it's full of useless tripe.

Reactions: 36645

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts
Maybe if Andy Roddick would spend less time reading his press--both postive and negative--then he'd still be in the top 10?

He's the one who "courts" the media for goodness sakes. Doesn't he have a twitter account? Isn't he always holding court at pressers or making comments like this?

If Andy is so bothered by the "media" including but not limited to blogs and forums, then don't read the stuff.

For a multimillionaire, Andy sure is sensitive!

Any for the for record, I don't think a person can compare a team sport with a individual one.

I mean.. the top track and field stars, for example, probably don't make as much as Andy much less the ones who are struggling. And I know for a fact boxers don't make all that much--even some who are title holders! Sure there's the Manny Pacquio's, but most don't have his kind of success.

So Andy boo hoo. Cry me a river.

Oh, and I should have said a multimillionaire tennis player married to a super-model. How trite is that?

The thing is I'm sure his wife catches some grief, too, being a super model/aspiring actress and all, but you don't hear (or read) her bitching and moaning.

Dang, Andy, welcome to the world of being a public figure! For every positive written I'm a celebrity, I would imagine there is at least 10 negatives. It's just the nature of the beast.

And if he's going to get that bothered by it, then don't read the shit, retire his twitter account, and quit mouthing off at tournaments and pressers giving people something to talk about.

It's like Andy wants to control what people say. Forget about it.
did smart tennis fans forget lil boy andy?

they aren't your mommy, rodloser. be grateful for your special guilt-ridden rich life, but don't be gracious to federer. :wavey: you are not popular...sorry.
double account

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Roddick = SetSampras?

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Btw I get the feeling Roddick is trolling. Pretty sure a guy like him knows how people react to anything a player says in a wholly negative way.

It's about time MTF got trolled back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah personally I think he has point, not just journalists but tennis forums, blogs virtually any public forum ...I like to come to a place like MTF 'cos there is so much information here and some very interesting debates ... but the negativity is truly amazing so I don't post anything (usually). I mean I'm sure a lot of people here are just like me.... reasonable good at my job but not in the top 4 in my district let alone my city let alone my state let alone my country let alone the world. but a player like andy roddick or say andy murray is a mug .. I love tennis and just cannot understand these people. And most of us do jobs that actually based on value judgments not direct competition ...tennis is not music where value judgments can make an inferior musician much wealthier than an accomplished musician tennis you actually have to win and unlike say our local US sports NBA etc..tennis is truly international.
Any person can come up with an excuse why they can't play better tennis than andy roddick but whats your excuse that you can't do whatever job it is that you do better than he does his job

·
Your visions will happen
48,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah personally I think he has point, not just journalists but tennis forums, blogs virtually any public forum ...I like to come to a place like MTF 'cos there is so much information here and some very interesting debates ... but the negativity is truly amazing so I don't post anything (usually). I mean I'm sure a lot of people here are just like me.... reasonable good at my job but not in the top 4 in my district let alone my city let alone my state let alone my country let alone the world. but a player like andy roddick or say andy murray is a mug .. I love tennis and just cannot understand these people. And most of us do jobs that actually based on value judgments not direct competition ...tennis is not music where value judgments can make an inferior musician much wealthier than an accomplished musician tennis you actually have to win and unlike say our local US sports NBA etc..tennis is truly international.
Any person can come up with an excuse why they can't play better tennis than andy roddick but whats your excuse that you can't do whatever job it is that you do better than he does his job
Just 2 posts in 9 years? Wow, man.

You make some good points.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Btw I get the feeling Roddick is trolling. Pretty sure a guy like him knows how people react to anything a player says in a wholly negative way.

It's about time MTF got trolled back.
If that's the way he wants to spend his time, that's fine with me.

:wavey:

I still say he should spend less time trolling (or tweeting) and more time figuring out how to win another slam. I mean, success is the greatest revenge.

But he can go on ahead and troll if that's what he wants to do.:cool:

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
the tour should be bankrolling players ranked up to 450...it's the greatest scam getting about..any tosspot with half a pea brain Would have their kid play golf...the work to success to ratio in tennis is a fucking disgrace

1 - 20 of 55 Posts