Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now can he take the momentum into the US Open, or will he burn out too quickly, like the Cat worries?

Will he pull out of Cinncinati?

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
I highly doubt he will pull out of Cincinnati. Roddick is the type of player that thrives on match play, IMO.

Besides, if he plays Cincinnati then USO....he should be predictable and make the semis of Cincinnati and then win USO. ;) I wouldn't mind one bit.

Congrats Andy Roddick.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Congrats Andy!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
Where is everyone who said he's overhyped?
They can drool for losses, but he gets the last laugh.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Overhyped. Yup.

I think he still has a battle to be number one, and who knows? He may never get there. He's got some stiff competition for that title.

Yet again, I think about getting tickets in Houston. But...... $800 plus the airfare...... dunno.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
way to go Andy. way to show them you deserve the hype of being one of the rgeats. now standing at a career high of #4, he has a legitimate shot at #1, and he has nothing to defend at the Masters Event in Houston. go Andy

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
It is mathmatically possible. It makes everything very exciting. Federer has a good shot at it as well. Andre is also a threat. I don't see Ferrero getting it.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Best of all would be Coria becoming number one. :)

I don't think that is possible at all though.

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
It's possible of course. It's possible as long as it's mathematically possible. ;)

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Re: Re: Andy Roddick, new Canadian Masters champion and threat for No. 1 ranking

1jackson2001 said:
It's possible of course. It's possible as long as it's mathematically possible. ;)

Is it even mathmatically possible? I suppose if he won the USO, it might be, but that's not in the realm of reality. :)

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Andy Roddick, new Canadian Masters champion and threat for No. 1 ranking

star said:
Is it even mathmatically possible? I suppose if he won the USO, it might be, but that's not in the realm of reality. :)
Outside being realistic, it is mathematically possible lol. If he wins every single tournament he enters from now on, he'd be a definite #1 by year's end. (Other players may have to cooperate by not making it too far in the tournies they enter)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Splendid!!! Andy rocked this week! I don't think he even played his best tennis against Federer--his 1st serve was not as great as it was during the grass court season, in fact, I was so mad at his serve that day. But he had to depend on other things and persevered. He definitely did not play his best against Kucera--he barely got out of the 1st set. But he won a match not playing his best tennis.

I think his quarterfinal and semifinal wins really proved how good enough he is to win a Slam. Today, he won his first masters series easily, and that is just such good news. This is turning out to be great year for Andy's fans. Let's hope he can take the next step.

Sooner or later he will, hopefully within the next year or so. People put a lot of pressure on him and forget the fact that he is very young. If other players should be allowed to take their time, Andy should too. He doesn't have to win the US Open this year. He's not even old enough to legally drink yet. I am not gonna put a deadline on him like the media or his naysayers. But I have the belief that he wil eventually win one, and I am just so happy for him that he has given his fans that belief. That's all I ever asked for!!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Congrats to Andy on winning his first TMS title! :D He deserved it. But I just hope he hasn't peaked too soon by the time the U.S. Open arrives. :eek: He played World Team Tennis for a couple of weeks right after Wimbledon. And Cincinati will be his fourth ATP tournament in a row. That is just a ridiculous schedule for any player to be playing. :mad: Andy has definately played too much tennis since Wimbledon. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. I hope he pulls an Agassi and pulls out of Cincinati. ;) But I doubt he will. He knows the fans in Cincinati are counting on him to be there and entertain them.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Andy will play Cincinati, without a doubt. but he won't really force himself if he gets stuck in a hole and is losing. i think he won't mind losing when he reaches the quarterfinals, but if he's winning his matches with ease, he'll go as far as he wants to. and also take a look at last year, his schedule was pretty busy before the US Open, and he still made the quarters with a pretty full schedule, and once again Andy doesn't waste much time nor energy in his matches, so he'll still be fresh

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
He's a young guy -- unlike Agassi. He should be able to play like this for this year. He's on a learning curve and he needs the matches.

·
SammySammySammy OiOiOi
12,534 Posts
Congratulations Andy.

I am no Andy fan (just don't like his game mainly) but I said that if he 1. won outside America; 2. beat Hewitt or Agassi and 3. won a masters, then I would take him seriously as a hot prospect for a slam. So I would like to announce that following the last 3 months, I officially now regard Andy as a serious top player. (Not that he cares what I think, I'm sure, but just wanted it on the record.)

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
hmm..one person who believes and respects him now

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Re: Andy Roddick, new Canadian Masters champion and threat for No. 1 ranking

Only one thing to say:

:worship: :worship: :worship: Brad Gilbert :worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Brad Gilbert has to have a talented player or he can't do anything. He's not the one hitting the ball.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts