81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yes, in my heart, he is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A guy who only had an awesome serve & literally no backhand is an atg just to make it seem like Vulterer didn’t play in a weak era....got it;)
(Make a thread about how Nalbandian, Davydenko etc were atgs as well after this to nail the point home:sneaky:)

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Imagine Wimbledon 2009 Rodduck vs Wimbledon 2019 Rogie. Choking and sun shinning only on one part of the court would be out of charts.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Roddick deserved to win 1 or 2 slams (USO-2003 that he won and W-2009). He was consistent enough to profit from very weak draws and go deep in slams. Hewitt before injuries was for sure better. I am not even sure he is the best 1-slam champion, Stich and Chang should be in contention for this title.

Now the question is how many players are you ready to call ATGs? Because he is probably between top 20-30 in Open Era.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Roddick was a Hall of Fame type of player no doubt, all time great as a server for sure as a whole i dont know but saying that he wasnt good shows you are biased or have low tennis IQ (Same with complaining about servebots but that is an argument for other time).

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
I am not even sure he is the best 1-slam champion, Stich and Chang should be in contention for this title.
Roddick was better. Got to number 1 and had 5 GS Finals vs 4, and 10 GS SFs to 8. The weird thing about Chang is that he was totally done at 26.

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Stitch really isn't in the ballpark 3 GS Finals, 18 titles, only 6 GS SFs

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
HoF inductee for sure as he is american, but ATG??
never knew the bar would be considered that low, the only thing that stood out was his serve.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
It’s kind of funny you ask almost anyone who was following tennis in 2003, and they’ll tell you they expected USO 2003 would be the first of many for Roddick. It just never materialized unfortunately

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
It’s kind of funny you ask almost anyone who was following tennis in 2003, and they’ll tell you they expected USO 2003 would be the first of many for Roddick. It just never materialized unfortunately
Do you think in 10 years we'll have the same comment about Sasha Zverev? 😯

81 - 98 of 98 Posts