Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's face it. I am not a big Andy Roddick fan. He is a terrible sport and not that great of a player these days. But does he have a point about analysts? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rEFARVhg4Q

Why is it that so many analysts are clueless these days? Not about Roddick but just in general. Do we need better analysts or are players just wussies these days and can't handle the truth?

Should Brad Gilbert or Patrick Mcenroe not criticize Roddick because of their relationship with him in the past?

http://www.sbnation.com/tennis/2011/9/1/2397409/andy-roddick-us-open-tennis-2011-espn-analysts-video

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Fowler was very good-natured about it and said that if analysts can criticize players they should be able to take it when players criticize analysts.

·
Registered
29,376 Posts
Every analyst in every sport is like that. :shrug:

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Roddick needed to tell everyone for it to be known? I figured this was common knowledge. It's an analysts job to analyse, even if there's nothing there. I mean, they have to say something, and alot of the time they are forced to waffle.

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
Who really pays attention to them? If I could mute just the commentary when I watch matches, I would do that every single time I watch a tennis match. I really think some tennis fans would make better analysts than the ones who are paid to do so on TV.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
This would honestly mean a lot more to me if it wasn't coming from Andy Roddick, who continually ignores the fact that his ranking is falling because he refuses in any way to acknowledge he's not doing the right types of things to win matches. And what kind of criticism is "If it works, all you have to say is it's a good thing." That's pretty much the definition of analysis, from sports through scientific, etcetera. Maybe if Andy focused on things other than analysts and chair umpires, his results would be better.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
This would honestly mean a lot more to me if it wasn't coming from Andy Roddick, who continually ignores the fact that his ranking is falling because he refuses in any way to acknowledge he's not doing the right types of things to win matches. And what kind of criticism is "If it works, all you have to say is it's a good thing." That's pretty much the definition of analysis, from sports through scientific, etcetera. Maybe if Andy focused on things other than analysts and chair umpires, his results would be better.
thing is Roddick is not a great athlete
he doesn't have great footwork
he isn't fast no matter how hard he works at it and I believe he does but it's not in his DNA much less like Davenport or Querrey or Isner:tape:

his backhand "slice" floats in the middle of the court
his forehand "slice" to the opponent's forehand is returned by better movers and returners
that backhand "slice" down the the opponent's forehand is also predictable

he doesn't approach the net well and you've seen his "volleys" get returned to him

those "tactics" of his will work against those it should work against but not against the better players.He can't be aggressive by serving and "volleying" because he can't volley and he can't win a backhand to backhand rally and he won't win a backhand slice with any of the top 4:shrug:

Roddick needs to go back to what works for him.Serve big.Flatten his forehand :shrug:

as for John McEnroe he is wasting his time quite frankly on Roddick:shrug: and maybe Roddick needs to be reminded that he has 6 less slams than McEnroe:tape:

Reactions: jayjay

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
This Roddick is fearless about speaking the truth :rolleyes:

Fowler was looking at him as if to say "you twit Andy".

But, like a good interviewer / analyst / MC, Fowler managed to make everyone look good and not make it look too awkward.

Andy basically just needs to grow up. Everyone over the age of 2 understands "how things work".

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
He makes good points.

Some analysts are okay but a lot just fill the air with empty sound.

Whatever the losing player is doing is wrong and if they were just doing this or that, they could be winning. Often this involves an exhortation to get to net or serve-volley since a lot of them have the simplistic belief that this would solve everything.

Very few of them approach a situation with the concept that one player is often just BETTER than the other and whatever the lesser player does, unless the better player plays down a few levels, the lesser player has no chance.

I could go on about this but the fact is that a lot of the analysts just feel the need to say SOMETHING that they think sounds insightful, but often not only contradicts other things they have said before, but are also factually inaccurate or downright illogical.

As some of the Eurosport commentators occasionally acknowledge (in between spouting a lot of hyperbolic drivel): "We've never lost a match from the commentary box position".

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
This fuckin clown is at it again.. Give it up Roddick. You suck.. No game outside of a serve. Whats this Roddick talking about "grinding and winning?" How often has does this guy "grind" his way to a "win". Hes a one dimensional MUG. Take away his serve and hes a junior level player if that.

This clown shouldn't even get any airplay. He barely got by a 4 foot midget. He reinvented himself as a grinder? No Roddick we don't believe that.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
thing is Roddick is not a great athlete
he doesn't have great footwork.....
...But, Roddick has been consistent top 10 for 10+ straight years. Maybe that means nothing to you or the average fan that only counts slam titles and head-to-head against Federer, but I think it says a lot.

·
Registered
976 Posts
There is a problem with announcers that don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, the past stars of the game tend to be bad announcers because they don't follow the sport at all. When Chris Fowler is commentating with John McEnroe, Fowler is more informative for me which should not be the case. People like John and Chris Evert should really take their job more seriously and at least know who the players are or they shouldn't commentate.

That being said, Andy came off as obnoxious and whiny and Chris handled it well. He should have said it in a better way.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It says.. Despite being in the top for that long he has almost NOTHING to show for it.
mmmmmmm.....I'd take his "nothing". As would nearly every ATP level player (to say nothing of all players that didn't even make it to "the major leagues") in the past 10+ years. Not every player is Federer, Nadal, Sampras, Agassi, Hewitt. The fact that you (implicitly) seem to be comparing him to this group says a lot IMO.

If it's so fucking easy to be in the top 10 for 10 straight years, give me a list of other players that have done it. My guess is that it will be a list of tennis' elite.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Roddick makes a really good point. Can't think of a recent example but I know there have been many instances in the past (especially with the good players) where there's a lot of ass-kissing about how good these players are when the truth is that the opponent is just playing like shit. I mean, if Murray is pushing all day and just keeping the ball in play and the opponent is teeing off and making a billion UEs, just say so, don't keep fawning over the nonexistent good play.

There's so many of these types of things. Player X plays well and wins the first set before going down in the second and they say, oh player X should go back to doing what he did in the first set. You think player X purposely changes a winning strategy? It's usually they can't keep up that level of play or the opponent changes something to disrupt their rhythm.

I get Roddick's point, a lot of times the commentators fawn over whoever's winning and shit on whoever's losing. Unfortunately this happens regardless of whether someone's playing crap or someone's playing great. Oh well, at least it makes me appreciate the little tidbits of actual insightful commentary we get every once in a while.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
roddick is a fighter and he has full right to blast incompetent clowns who make money out of him. it should be done every now and then imo. and whoever feels injured and disappointed coz he didnt win more should not feel that way because roddick never was a slacker, meaning he didnt let anyone down, it wasnt like he didnt care.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
It says.. Despite being in the top for that long he has almost NOTHING to show for it.
:facepalm: isnt being a top player for that long in itself a worthy achievement?

also he has a slam, thats faaaaar from "almost nothing".

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
mmmmmmm.....I'd take his "nothing". As would nearly every ATP level player (to say nothing of all players that didn't even make it to "the major leagues") in the past 10+ years. Not every player is Federer, Nadal, Sampras, Agassi, Hewitt. The fact that you (implicitly) seem to be comparing him to this group says a lot IMO.

If it's so fucking easy to be in the top 10 for 10 straight years, give me a list of other players that have done it. My guess is that it will be a list of tennis' elite.

For someone in the top 10 for around 10 years with only 1 slam to show for yourself says alot IMO. Im not asking the guy to be in the Category as those guys. They are all superior talent wise in every way imaginable to Roddick. Im not expecting the guy to have 8-10 slams.. But I expected him to have at least 3-5.(with or without Fed.. He should have stole 1-2 from Fed anyways Wimbeldon 2009 lets it slip through his fingers, and bad losses throughout the years to other players) And that many years in and around the top, to only have that sole USO slam is just not that good.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If it were anyone else delivering this message, I would agree 100%

1 - 20 of 76 Posts