Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roger was close to his peak level as we're likely to ever see from him these days. His serve was unbreakable, his groundstrokes were deep and heavy a lot of the time, his defending was immense, his net game and variety was great. He was unplayable...and Andy still made it a fairly close match. Sure, it was in straight sets but Andy's level made each set a close struggle and he played fantastic. Even if you hate him you have to commend him on an excellent performance. Surely? Despite the loss he's looking near his best and he'll be dangerous on the American hardcourts :yeah:

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Agree, pretty similar to 12/13 Wimby levels.

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
sad about the result but yes, USO, WTF, Cinci, Shanghai etcs all good chances

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I just said in the Muzz forum, I'm actually encouraged by how he served. I mean, I don't see how anyone can take away any credit from Federer today. We were all nervous about Andy's serving, but today: 74% first serves in, and he sure as hell wasn't rolling them in.

Ran into a monster today, but it's been a great 2015 so far, and I look forward to the rest of it. It's a far cry from 2014!

·
Registered
21,760 Posts
He played well, but he's still not as mentally strong as he should be. 2nd set was incredible from Fed, but when Murray was serving to stay in the 1st and 3rd, he made few costly errors. though Fed did raise his level too.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Agreed. Just got a little tight at the end of sets but when you're playing against the GOAT who is GOATing that can happen.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, Andy has an awful wide opening forehand that is of course loose and he has a pathetic 2nd serve so it was nothing but exploited. Fed just took an advantage and Andy was conscious about it and was very passive on the return. He was never a threat on return. Nole is on another level there.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
He still needs to be more aggressive. Even on neutral balls today he was rallying back to Federer instead of cracking it.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
No aggression whatsoever, either on baseline rallies or on return of serve. He was asking to be slaughtered and he was.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
The form seems decent, but he went away mentally vs Djokovic in the AO final, and he went away mentally today.

It took him a long time to put all the elements in his game together and reach his peak. The Olympics was the final piece of the jigsaw, that unique occasion gave him a final burst of confidence at the very top. Following that: US Open title, AO runnersup, Wim title.

Then he loses 18 months to the back injury. It's a short career - he's getting old now, and with an effort like today I'm guessing he won't win any more slams. It was that bad.

The only positive spin I can think of: before the match, I was wondering if he might not be coping with home pressure well post Wim2013 (think match vs Dimitrov Wim last year, and then the Fed performance at the WTF). If this was just another example of that, perhaps other slams are still on. I'm dubious, tbh.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
His second serve is still crap. Why he doesn't hire a serve coach boggles the mind. The difference with Novak's serve pre and post Becker is quite telling.

Rest of his game is decent though, a chance at the US Open.

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
Murray would today beat any other player in the draw just he was unlucky that Fed fluked Jesus out. Last time it happened in Shanghai SF, repeating it after 9 months, pretty harsh on Murray, even if i don't like the guy

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
His second serve is still crap. Why he doesn't hire a serve coach boggles the mind. The difference with Novak's serve pre and post Becker is quite telling.

Rest of his game is decent though, a chance at the US Open.
today his serve was fine, if he coupled that with a more punchy ground game then its really his peak level, he couldn't quite do the latter and was beaten soundly

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I think if Andy maintains this level, considering that Rafa is done and Roger probably retires in a couple of years, he could win a few more majors.

Murray would today beat any other player in the draw just he was unlucky that Fed fluked Jesus out. Last time it happened in Shanghai SF, repeating it after 9 months, pretty harsh on Murray, even if i don't like the guy
I think he would have beat both other semi finalists. Nole gets the best match up for the final for him ...

Reactions: decrepitude

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
No aggression whatsoever, either on baseline rallies or on return of serve. He was asking to be slaughtered and he was.
you or didn't watch the match or you don't have a clue about the game. From the ground this was as aggressive as it ever was Murray, on return couldn't have been aggressive because Fed served as lunatik

·
Registered
749 Posts
Agree totally. He let no-one down today. He surpassed the service stats I thought he'd need to win and he probably thought he'd need to win.

He was just up against a true great in form. Sometimes you just have to accept there's not a lot you can do.

He should take the positives into the hard-court season.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
errr, Roger hit plenty of errors and was far from perfect in this match. his serve was very good but Federer had weak points of his game

Murray was solid but nothing special really. the reality is that Federer is dominating this tournmament so far practically soley because of his serve. he's not winning a massive majority of baseline rallies he's just putting tons of pressure on his opponents because he's serving so well

people are really overrating Roger. I don't disagree that he's playing well based on the circumstances, his age, and in comparison to the field- but he's still considerably worse than he once was

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Andy played a superb match, with a couple of poorly timed points played which contributed to the defeat. He could have taken control of a couple more of Federer's 2nd serves when given the opportunity, but other than that he played extremely well. Federer gave him and the crowd very little to get involved in, other than the mammoth game in the 2nd set.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts