Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andy Murray wins just two games against Novak Djokovic in Australian Open practice

Britain's Andy Murray won just two games in a practice match against world number one Novak Djokovic as part of his Australian Open preparations.

The Scot, whose movement was laboured, held serve only once and was trailing 6-1 4-1 when they called it a day.

Three-time Grand Slam champion Murray, who missed most of last season after hip surgery, has tumbled down the rankings to 230th.

Murray has lost four times to Serbia's Djokovic in Australian Open finals.

Murray's expectations 'tempered' before Australian Open
The practice set and a half - curtailed because another practice match was booked to follow them - was watched by around 2,000 people on the Margaret Court Arena show court at Melbourne Park.

Murray, 31, who has played only 12 matches since returning from surgery last year will find out his first-round opponent later on Thursday.

He has used his protected ranking to enter the first Grand Slam of the year but will not be seeded and so could face a top-ranked player early on.

Murray's first tournament since September ended last week with a second-round defeat by Russian world number 16 Daniil Medvedev at the Brisbane International.

The Australian Open starts on Monday and runs until 27 January.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46809771

Andy still looks unfit for slams :|

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
We joke about retirement, but in Murray's case, it might be time to seriously consider it. This is not just about tennis, and the here and now. If his injury will affect him after he stops playing, then it might be better to stop now. Only Murray and his doctor know his situation, so we should just wait and see what the next few months bring. Sadly, I'm not optimistic. I think people are starting to appreciate the great Scot more, which is the only positive here.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Andrew Castle (he is a BBC commentator for those who don't know him) is relentlessly gushing, never says a bad word about anyone, and is contractually obliged to worship Andy Murray. And he said he thought he wouldn't ever recover from this injury about 12 months ago.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Andy's gait walking now doesn't and hasn't looked normal to me. I know he loves tennis and wants to play, but he needs to be thinking long term now.

·
Registered
21,279 Posts
I hope Murray realises that he may get a lot of physical issues post retirement which may be pretty dangerous if keeps up at this rate. Only Murray knows his conditions but from what we see with his body language it doesn’t look good. Don’t want him to end up on a wheel chair

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
I hope Murray realises that he may get a lot of physical issues post retirement which may be pretty dangerous if keeps up at this rate. Only Murray knows his conditions but from what we see with his body language it doesn’t look good. Don’t want him to end up on a wheel chair
I know we are all worried about Murray, but this is a bit ridiculous. The worst that will happen is that he cannot compete at the elite level, but he's not gonna end up in a wheelchair because his hip is uncooperative.

·
justice for all
13,116 Posts
Sad, but hopefully Andy didn't play seriously not to hurt himself before AO.

He is the better player than the Serb or at least used to be the much better player.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I know we are all worried about Murray, but this is a bit ridiculous. The worst that will happen is that he cannot compete at the elite level, but he's not gonna end up in a wheelchair because his hip is uncooperative.
Agree.
At worst he could end up having total hip replacement in his 40s/50s.. but still can have quality life (with limited movements but without pain).

·
Registered
21,279 Posts
So I had too :p

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sad, but hopefully Andy didn't play seriously not to hurt himself before AO.

He is the better player than the Serb or at least used to be the much better player.
Only person like YOU would post that kind of trolling and delusional comment to diss and downgrade Djokovic in this kind of thread in which all of us discuss and be worried about Murray's physical condition. You don't care about him at all, you just wanted to use your chance to take a jab at the Serb. Pathetic.

·
justice for all
13,116 Posts
Only person like YOU would post that kind of trolling and delusional comment to diss and downgrade Djokovic in this kind of thread in which all of us discuss and be worried about Murray's physical condition. You don't care about him at all, you just wanted to use your chance to take a jab at the Serb. Pathetic.
It's only your twisting assumption. I truly hope Andy comes back to his best level again. As simple as that.

·
Registered
990 Posts
BBC must be quaking in their boots, with Murray still struggling and Edmund with an extremely difficult opener they might actually have to report on some of the other 100+ players in the draw.

Hopefully Evans qualifies though, please don't show the standard is so bad at the moment that a 37yo grinder can still win 3 matches to get to a slam.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Not the actual match, but the warm-up.

ByeJZHsYsa0

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Practice matches are irrelevant and Nole without pressure is very aggressive. Wouldn't read to much into this.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Murray is done unfortunately. Even though people like to compare him with Djokovic, Nadal and Fred when it comes comebacks, the reality is that his injury was a much tougher one and I don't see him ever recovering properly from it.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Murray is done unfortunately. Even though people like to compare him with Djokovic, Nadal and Fred when it comes comebacks, the reality is that his injury was a much tougher one and I don't see him ever recovering properly from it.

Well,he might still make some sort of a comeback and be at a level similar to Hewitt some years ago.The question is if he will be happy to be out there on the tour with a world ranking of 50 without any chance to win the big titles.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts