Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Andy murray and his advisors stupid? Why did he bother playing Washington? He just had a long clay court and grass court season plus davis cup. Novak and Roger are smart they know rest is so important yet Murray still does not realize this. You cannot over extend yourself or else you will get upset like he did last night. I am guessing murray got a huge appearance fee but the guy is extremely wealthy. Murray is a multi millionaire but he needs to realize he is 28 years old now. He is not a spring chicken. He complains about being tired because he does not have a good schedule.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Under Armour obligations.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I already said before the Wimbledon that he has overplayed first half of the season, and that it might bite him for the Wimby, and it seams it did.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Murray at Canada/Cinci since 2011

2011 2R/W
2012 3R/3R
2013 3R/QF
2014 QF/QF

Would not be too demanding for USO whatever year he repeated, but playing Davis Cup just a week/five-days after a possible 5-setter at SF or/and F, could be pretty exhausting.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
Murray isn't Federer. Andy doesn't try his best at ATP-500. At Masters he will be ok.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Always complaining about exhaustion for players, if you are a pro you should be able to play 24/7

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
I had the same exact thought and almost created the same thread. The guy is risking burn-out. He's played and WON a lot of matches this year, he shouldn't be so short on confidence that he needs to play Washington (granted this may have been due to Under Armour obligations), but any competitive top player hates to lose and you could tell that he really wanted to win last night's match, was barking like a mad man and expending a lot of energy between actual play on court and antics.

Meanwhile Djokovic looks to peak for the main events. No need for measly 500s.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I agree with the OP here. When I heard he was going to play Washington, I was like 'wtf'. Some people quoted Murray saying 'I feel rusty'. He hasn't played Washington since 2006 :confused:.

Also, if you enter any tournament you have to be committed. Some silly Brits say 'Oh, he tanked', right. I know shit happens but I'm not sure where Murray's brain is at this point.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe as other people said murray had to play Washington for contractual reasons. I am guessing Andy got a huge appearance fee but the man is super rich. The big three pace themselves they do not overdo it. Look at Novak he never plays an ATP event between the French Open and Wimbledon yet he is the two time defending Wimbledon champion. Novak and Roger are smart look at Roger he pulled out of Montreal because he felt he needed more rest. The top players like Murray already are wealthy no need to vulture so much. I think Andy can vulture but he needs to choose his schedule better.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
He chose Washington simply for PR crap with UA, he was then going to miss Cincinatti (maybe) Hopefully now he got kicked out, he can go back to plan B and play both masters. I'm actually glad he now has to re think the whole thing, missing masters for 500 events at this stage of his career is stupid.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Schedule hurt him? or a player capable of hitting through his pushing game hurt him? Imagine he was facing weaponless clown like Haase instead in first round. He would have rolled into Finals easily.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,452 Posts
Losing early in Washington isn't the end of the world. He'll have longer to prepare for the bigger tournaments. Playing three weeks in a row (if he had done well here) would have been asking a bit much, especially considering the US Open and Davis Cup are both right around the corner afterwards.
plus he s a pusher so that takes a harder toll
Incorrect, as usual.
I already said before the Wimbledon that he has overplayed first half of the season, and that it might bite him for the Wimby, and it seams it did.
The reason he lost Wimbledon is due to JesusFed showing up. It had nothing to do with scheduling.
Schedule hurt him? or a player capable of hitting through his pushing game hurt him? Imagine he was facing weaponless clown like Haase instead in first round. He would have rolled into Finals easily.
Gabashvili is one of those players that's terrible 95% of the time but can play a good match every now and then. Andy was rusty when it came to hardcourts and didn't have long to prepare...so he lost. It happens.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Murray is 48-8 Djokovic is 48-3 Federer is 48-7

I think OP has a point here, he plays so many matches it can hurt him in the long run.
He has played some matches at the start of the season which don't count into ATP tally, but certainly add up into his legs. Including those matches and the one yesterday, he has played 61 matches in total so far, while Djokovic is at 52, and Federer at only 47 (40-7, not 48-7). Nadal is second in total matches played, 53.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,385 Posts
Exhaust excuse? Pls! Murray's previous match was 2 weeks ago. Likely that he went for a small vacation and is a bit rusty.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Did you *see* how exhausted he was at and after DC?

Could the possibility of an extra 500 "easy" ranking points, in the chase for the 2nd seeding at the USO, also have been a factor?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts