Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...according to this article. Neil Harman is well respected so it wouldn't surprise me if there is some truth in this. I hope he stays with Gilbert, but if it's not working then there's no point. Andy is not the easiest to deal with I expect, but maybe Brad's not either given that Andy Roddick parted with him even though it was a successful partnership.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article2866628.ece

Andy Murray reaches break point

Neil Harman, Tennis Correspondent

Andy Murray is ready to part company with Brad Gilbert after falling out with the high-profile American coach who helped to build the 20-year-old Scot into one of the finest tennis players in the world.

When Gilbert was appointed in the summer of 2006, Murray was ranked No 36 in the world, had introduced himself as one of the brightest young talents and was on the threshold of turning potential into prizes. He believed that the finishing touch was to bring in the man who had driven Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick to the summit of the game and who was acknowledged as one of the sharpest of tennis brains.

Murray completes this year as world No 11, but the pair have not been the happiest of co-travellers for a while. There were strong rumours that they would separate before the US Open at the end of August, when the Scot was trying to piece his year together after the wrist injury that caused him to miss three months and two grand-slam tournaments.

Theirs has been a tempestuous relationship and, at the end of a period in which Murray was within one victory in Paris this month of qualifying for the Masters Cup in Shanghai, it is believed that they prefer to go their separate ways.

Gilbert, 46, normally a verbose individual, was reluctant to discuss his situation last night. “I don’t really want to talk about it,” he said from California. “I haven’t spoken to the LTA [Lawn Tennis Association].” Murray is believed to be on holiday in the United States, but not on the West Coast.

Murray has never been shy of making decisions that he feels will best benefit his career. On his emergence as a teenager with more natural talent than Great Britain had produced for years, he asked Mark Petchey, the former Davis Cup player, to become his coach, but the pair parted company in April last year when Murray heightened his aims.

This decision does, however, leave the LTA in a deep dilemma. The national governing body had appointed Gilbert and was happy to indulge him his wages of about £750,000 a year to make sure that Murray was content. In the weeks he was not overseeing the Scot’s career, Gilbert would help the coaching staff at the National Tennis Centre.

The contract was regarded as one of the most remarkable agreed in world tennis � that an association with a remit to build and sustain the sport would pay the wages of a coach who was ostensibly working with one player. Gilbert readily accepted the deal; the rest of the sport looked on in wonder. He brought in Mark Grabow, a fitness coach with the Golden State Warriors basketball team, to build up Murray’s strength.

Together they have worked at only three grand-slam tournaments, the US Opens of 2006 and 2007 and the Australian Open in January, when Murray extended Rafael Nadal, the Spanish world No 2, to five sets in a wondrous fourth-round encounter, after which Gilbert was reduced to tears, so remarkable was his charge’s effort. They would have spent more grand-slam tournaments together but for the wrist injury suffered in Hamburg in May, which forced Murray to miss the French Open and Wimbledon this year.

There is no doubt that, for as long as they have worked together, the partnership has been beneficial. Murray’s ranking soared, Gilbert was one of the best scouting coaches of his ilk and his reputation will not have suffered one jot from the prospective parting of the ways.

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
This was an odd couple pairing from the beginning. We need Gilbert back here in the states helping American players. Let the Brits fix their own tennis problems. :p

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Absolutely no surpise to me.

Paul Annacone is still on the LTA payroll, yeah? Might be a better fit. Stern, disciplined, but not nearly as 'there' as Brad Gilbert.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think Brad can be a great coach but I think his personality can wear on people. I think you love him at first and things change fast with him. So I'm not surprised.

I hope Andy finds someone who will keep him going with his fitness.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
We'll see if this comes about but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it did. I worry that there's a problem if Andy can't find a way to get the best out of a coach like Brad with a proven track record of success, but ultimately they must both do what they think is best - even if that means parting company. If for whatever reason they can't make it work there's no sense continuing.

I think it's a bad time to stop and have to look for a coach, though, when he was just getting some momentum back and should be looking to attack the new season strongly.

I do rather hope this is just the rumour mill working overtime but if not, then meh.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
This was an odd couple pairing from the beginning. We need Gilbert back here in the states helping American players. Let the Brits fix their own tennis problems. :p
:sobbing: We need your coaches more than you do.. :ras: :p

In line with Scoobs I do hope that this is only a rumour. Not really because Andy needs Brad Gilbert but because he needs to stick with the same coach for a period of time in which improvement can be seen [and therefore measured by..].

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Good move if it happens.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Holy crap, James, I just recognized your avatar! :lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Oh dear. Watch out Uncle Toni...the old coot is going to come after your job. He's always wanted to get his hands on "Ralph"... :eek:

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
I'm glad YOU like it. That's the second time one of my photos ended up in an avatar. I'm quite please with myself at the moment. :lol:

·
124,507 Posts
Not a Gilbert fan?
He has certain good qualities, like his scouting and you can tell he loves the game and believes in what he is doing.

But he is not the kind of guy to bring up developing players up to a top level, he does better with moulded players.

Lets say this when Vajda took over Djokovic at the start of the year, look how that ended up this season, ranking wise. He did the same with Hrbaty as well.

Lundgren did it with Rios took him from outside top 50 into the top 10 and what he did with Federer as well which went from 2000 to 2003.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I'm glad YOU like it. That's the second time one of my photos ended up in an avatar. I'm quite please with myself at the moment. :lol:
Well it is an honour.. :tape: :p

Although I now feel like I should have asked your permission to have used it [I had forgotten that it was an MTF posted pic..]. Can I continue to do so please? :angel: [belated, yes; genuine, also yes.. :p ]

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Of course you can use it. I might even be motivated to find you a better one (not tonight). I think I posted hastily that evening and did not go all the way through everything that I shot that day. Keep it, no problem at all. :)

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
True...Gilbert can be abrasive, annoying, and too "hip" for his own good. But if he can serve as a consultant to Rafa, I'm ALL for it. The man helped Agassi to reach a point where Darren Cahill could keep the wheels well-oiled...and from there, Andre became a legend. Just look at Agassi pre and post Gilbert. That says it all.

Message to Rafa's team: get this man if you can.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
True...Gilbert can be abrasive, annoying, and too "hip" for his own good. But if he can serve as a consultant to Rafa, I'm ALL for it. The man helped Agassi to reach a point where Darren Cahill could keep the wheels well-oiled...and from there, Andre became a legend. Just look at Agassi pre and post Gilbert. That says it all.

Message to Rafa's team: get this man if you can.
Gilbert has always seemed to have a certain fondness for Nadal. That is probably due to the fact that Nadal plays a similar, albeit a far more effective, style of 'winning ugly'. Perhaps this could work.

·
124,507 Posts
Gilbert has always seemed to have a certain fondness for Nadal. That is probably due to the fact that Nadal plays a similar, albeit a far more effective, style of 'winning ugly'. Perhaps this could work.
So Gilbert's beef with Muster was just jealousy then?

As for Nadal and Gilbert, it would be good because Toni doesn't understand English, therefore he would only be background noise.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts