Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"It's tough because some days just now I'm playing well and then the next day I'm not playing well at all," he said.

"Even within matches I'm playing really well for periods and then other times not great at all."

"I need to become more consistent, my base level has to stay the same for a lot longer and that isn't necessarily going out there and practicing loads of stuff on the court, that is something where I need to be mentally stronger and a bit more switched on for longer periods in matches."

"The problem for me over the last few years has been the tournaments outside the slams I just haven't had that consistency at all for whatever reason and then when I've got to the slams I have played well pretty much all of the time."

"I don't know if it is a question of confidence or not. I don't feel like I'm low on confidence, which I have had at periods before in my career especially after losing in big tournaments or slams, but that is not how it feels right now."

"My coach is missing who was quite a big part of my team, but even when I was working with Ivan I haven't necessarily played my best tennis here last year or at certain periods."

"I'm not 100 percent sure what it is, but I need to sit down and think about that over the next couple of days and see what I need to do."

From last month
Ilie Nastase, who was US Open champion in 1972, RG winner the following year and beaten Wimbledon finalist in 1972 and 1976, said: "I don’t think these guys need a coach."

"They need a good friend maybe. Or a good-looking girl, I don’t know. I don’t think they [former stars] can help much. What can they do? He [Murray] knows how to play the game."

"I think he just needs someone to trust him and practice with him. Not necessarily a big guy or name, I don’t believe in that."

Nastase added: "Djokovic did well without Boris Becker. Maybe he’s using him to boost his image, I don’t know."

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/9303381/andy-murray-says-he-must-start-improving-outside-of-the-four-majors

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Murray needs a strong 'fatherly figure' in his life. Someone he respects and admires. Murray didn't give a rat about Gilbert or his own mother.

That's why his relationship with Lendl worked so well. Ivan was like a patriarch and Murray listened to him. So, maybe he should approach JMac. The only thing is that I'm not sure that would last too long because I can't imagine JMac traveling with Murray all the time etc.

By the time pro players reach their 20s, they are formed as players. A good coach can make some tweaks in their games here and there but that's it. It becomes all mental and players at the highest level need someone who is a friend, a confidant, someone who can channel their energy, analyze and spot weaknesses in their opponents game ...

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Murray needs a strong 'fatherly figure' in his life. Someone he respects and admires. Murray didn't give a rat about Gilbert or his own mother.

That's why his relationship with Lendl worked so well. Ivan was like a patriarch and Murray listened to him. So, maybe he should approach JMac. The only thing is that I'm not sure that would last too long because I can't imagine JMac traveling with Murray all the time etc.

By the time pro players reach their 20s, they are formed as players. A good coach can make some tweaks in their games here and there but that's it. It becomes all mental and players at the highest level need someone who is a friend, a confidant, someone who can channel their energy, analyze and spot weaknesses in their opponents game ...
I don't think McEnroe has the patience to be a good coach. Andy shoud try to get Ivan back, part time, at least.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
So Lendl left, Murray didn't fire him?

·
Your visions will happen
47,124 Posts
Pick up the phone and call McEnroe, or make up with Lendl.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
So Lendl left, Murray didn't fire him?
They split because they couldn't agree on the amount of time Lendl would give - Murray wanted more, Lendl wanted more time for his other interests - such as playing on the senior tour, and golf.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts