Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sir Andy Murray became so addicted to video games that it affected his performance on court.

Murray, the former Wimbledon men’s singles tennis champion and winner of two other Grand Slam titles, admitted that he had been obsessed with gaming and would stay up into the early hours playing before big matches.

He never travelled to tournaments around the world without his Playstation. Late-night sessions of games like Pro Evolution Soccer left him feeling tired when he took to the court hours later, he said.

He gave up gaming while at big events a few years ago, just before the most successful period in his career.

“I would travel with a Playstation everywhere until probably I was like 26,” Murray, now 32, said in an interview with the BBC online.

“I was playing way too much. I had to play tennis the next day and I was playing until like 2 or 3am. It would be hours, not minutes. Pro Evolution Soccer is what I used to play.”

Murray’s former coach Brad Gilbert said that the Scot played video games for seven hours a day when they were working together in 2006 and 2007.

He said that the player’s “obsession” with the games had caused rows between them.

Murray is now playing again after undergoing a hip resurfacing operation in January and he and his wife Kim had their third child, a boy called Teddy, last month.

An Amazon documentary on his comeback released last month shows the impact the injury had on his professional and family life.

In the film, Murray is seen playing with his daughters Sophia, three, and two-year-old Edie at home in Oxshott, Surrey, and dancing to the children’s song Baby Shark. However, the fiercely private sportsman had the girls filmed from behind throughout the documentary and their faces are not shown.

In the documentary Murray reveals how tennis helped him deal with the Dunblane school massacre and his parents’ divorce. He was in the school at the time of the shootings and knew Thomas Hamilton, the killer.

Murray has also admitted that the injury which threatened to end his career put a strain on his marriage. He said his chronic hip pain left him feeling “down” and affected his relationship his wife, Kim, 31.

·
Registered
16,211 Posts
Well his games would normally be in the afternoon, shouldnt be too much of a problem, but I guess there is more to do to get up early

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Good taste

Reactions: educasian

·
justice for all
15,126 Posts
Interesting read. You bet Sir Andrew Barron Murray would be sitting at least on 10 slams now if not for this Pro Evolution Soccer. Now I know why he always looked dead tired after only a couple of games played.

·
Registered
268 Posts
How can anyone play 7 hours a day on a football game ? That’s what I like about sports games actually, you can spend some nice moments but it is strictly timed. Thank god he’s not into truly addictive games like strategy, mmo or arpg!

·
Registered
371 Posts
How can anyone play 7 hours a day on a football game ? That’s what I like about sports games actually, you can spend some nice moments but it is strictly timed. Thank god he’s not into truly addictive games like strategy, mmo or arpg!
If he's into those highly addictive types of game he would not sleep at all, like I used to do when I was young.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I saw another interview where he said he used played Football Manager. that game is well known for taking considerable hours out of people's lives.

Reactions: NextGenKing

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Every sane person on this planet knows that winning in Pro Evolution Soccer 4-5 on PS2 results in winning in life. Murphy would've had 20 slams by now if he stopped after PES 5, but given that he must've played PES 2008 it's miracle he hasn't become a fixing challenger mug.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,537 Posts
When I saw the title I wanted to ask what kinds of games he likes, but it turns out it's some shitty sports games. Fan card revoked :mad:
He did play Mario Kart before that exho WTF match with Djokovic

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I saw another interview where he said he used played Football Manager. that game is well known for taking considerable hours out of people's lives.
Saw that too... i lost years to that game haha

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wasn't it the video games that almost made Andy break up with Kim years ago before they had any children at all?
I do think so.

Glad it didn't affect him more seriously than what it did, could have been worse had he not realised to stop it at certain stage.
Worse for his success, family etc.

Now you can just consider it more or less funny.

And I bet Andy's Aussie mate Nicky boy still has some hope left there regarding his staying up and playing all night long (not commenting the other stuff though) ;).

You, who are more familiar with playing than me, how would you compare the addictiveness of these games to drugs and alcohol btw?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,537 Posts
Wasn't it the video games that almost made Andy break up with Kim years ago before they had any children at all?
I do think so.

Glad it didn't affect him more seriously than what it did, could have been worse had he not realised to stop it at certain stage.
Worse for his success, family etc.

Now you can just consider it more or less funny.

And I bet Andy's Aussie mate Nicky boy still has some hope left there regarding his staying up and playing all night long (not commenting the other stuff though) ;).

You, who are more familiar with playing than me, how would you compare the addictiveness of these games to drugs and alcohol btw?
While they share some of the same pleasure reward pathways, drugs and alcohol are far worse from a psychological and physiological perspective, because it actually hurts to remove yourself from the source (in terms of neurochemistry - leading to dependence, and associated withdrawal upon cessation), and of course tend to come with more severe and undesirable social and behavioural side effects. A lot of the time, this is a systemic addiction closely linked with depression, sexual abuse and poor parenting - sometimes the addicts were exposed to it as children. That's why it's so tough to treat because you likely also have to deal with root causes.

I've seen some people who can play games on end. That isn't great too. It's actually fairly easy to do that as well. The effects tend to be on school and work performance and motivation. I believe that it is easier to overcome this kind of addiction with proper safeguards and planning. For one thing, games rarely tell the user to "You've played X hours. Please consider taking a break." (would also equally apply to workaholics!) This kind of implementation would be very helpful. They are considering something like this to help people with ADHD as well in their gaming experiences. Perhaps one of the trickier aspects of dealing with gaming addiction is the social side of things. A lot of people play online multiplayer because they can "interact" with other people around the world. I suppose this forum finds existence from the very same. In fact one could expand to say social media and mobile phone usage is becoming an addiction by means of positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Kyrgios got this from Murray as he likes to play FIFA until 3 am. No wonder Kyrgios likes Murray.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
They can be even worse. Unlike with alcohol or smoking, there's no negative feedback aside from the eventual boredom. Modern games are made to be addictive; simple, easy and with flashy popups telling you to keep playing. Then comes the online aspect of beating the "asshole" on the other side of the screen, which can even get people to spend money on ingame items like better guns, tanks, whatever. At least video games won't kill your liver or lungs, I guess.

I believe that it is easier to overcome this kind of addiction with proper safeguards and planning. For one thing, games rarely tell the user to "You've played X hours. Please consider taking a break." (would also equally apply to workaholics!) This kind of implementation would be very helpful.
That won't work. Every addict knows deep down they're addicted, but still keeps doing it. In fact could make it worse since blaming the addict will just make him / her angry, where they will default to their addiction again.

Are you familiar with the Rat Park? (http://brucekalexander.com/articles-speeches/rat-park/148-addiction-the-view-from-rat-park). It shows that stress and shitty life conditions are actually causing most addictions.

"We ran several experiments comparing the drug consumption of rats in Rat Park with rats in solitary confinement in regular laboratory cages. In virtually every experiment, the rats in solitary confinement consumed more drug solution, by every measure we could devise. And not just a little more. A lot more."
People today are working shitty jobs for way too long and too little pay, live in small apartments often with a family they hate, listen to "news" telling them about all the bad things that happened today (and never the good things), and deal with other nonsense of society such as overcrowding (a proven source of stress), traffic jams, unhealthy food and air, lack of nature access in cities etc. We're the caged rats, and we find escape in our addictions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts