Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novak Djokovic, Murray’s perennial rival, would have taken back top spot in the rankings if he had won this season-ending showcase event for the fifth year in a row, but the Wimbledon champion summoned up one last superhuman effort in the final match of the season to win his 24th match in succession and beat the Serb 6-3, 6-4.

“It was obviously a big match, a very important win for me,” Murray said afterwards. “It was a huge match to finish the year, to try and finish No 1. Obviously this is a major event as well, and one where I’ve not done well in in the past.”

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Probably the best 6 months (Queens, Wimbledon & Olympic Gold) and definitely the best 3 months of Murray's career winning 5 tournaments in a row (Beijing, Shanghai, Vienna, Paris & ATP Finals) to end that year with ATP finals title and as a World No.1.

Perhaps, helped by Federer's and Rafa's injury woes and them calling off that season earlier and him having only to deal with Djocovid. Nevertheless, an incredible run.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
When The King is on the top of his game like that there is NOTHING Djokovic can do to hurt him. Or anyone for that matter.
It is such a shame that the hip injury got too bad a couple months after this match as I think a period of domination was coming up.

·
The special one
14,696 Posts
Yes, i don't know where Andy found the energy from after the long match he had with Raonic the day before.

Whatever happens from now that win forever puts him in the history books as one of a select group of players to end a year as world no1.

·
justice for all
16,221 Posts
That was one of the greatest moments in Sir Andy’s illustrious career. And fully deserved. YE#1 beating his nemesis in a decisive match. Also, I won’t lie but he’ll have my lifetime respect for denying Djokovic YE#1 that year.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
First time since 1989 and Becker 2 GS vs Lendl 1 GS, the second ends with the YE1.

2017, 2 GS each was an exclusivity in the Open era, quickly renewed in 2019.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
That was one of the greatest moments in Sir Andy’s illustrious career. And fully deserved. YE#1 beating his nemesis in a decisive match. Also, I won’t lie but he’ll have my lifetime respect for denying Djokovic YE#1 that year.
No disrespect to the fiery Scotsman who i've aIways admired (onIy to certain infamous posters on MTF) but I Iike "denying" Murray 4 AO's a lot better.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
I get the argument, Djokovic won two slams and Murray one, which is fair. In terms of ranking points Andy didn't earn anything for the Olympics which did make his task harder.

Strange year 2016. Never thought he would have it in him.

Reactions: Tennis Library

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably the best 6 months (Queens, Wimbledon & Olympic Gold) and definitely the best 3 months of Murray's career winning 5 tournaments in a row (Beijing, Shanghai, Vienna, Paris & ATP Finals) to end that year with ATP finals title and as a World No.1.

Perhaps, helped by Federer's and Rafa's injury woes and them calling off that season earlier and him having only to deal with Djocovid. Nevertheless, an incredible run.
yes, me too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts