Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excellent stuff. The win streak continues.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Not a great match overall, but Andy did what he had to do. Tiafoe hit some great shots, lots of drop shots, but was far too inconsistent with 49 UE's. Andy needs to have a better first serve % but some nice signs from him that his game is OK. Alex Zverev in round 2. Hoping for an upset.

·
9,619 Posts
Needs higher first serve percentage and make more returns to go further. What a legend though. Tiafoe has really got worse

·
justice for all
16,245 Posts
A breadstick in the decider is a good sign for Andy fans.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
How I loved to see this Andy on court without any signs of any pain on his hip, just like he keeps saying.
After seeing that, I was almost willing to accept any kind of a result.

But win is always a win (even though slightly gifted by Tiafoe, which is exactly what I expected from him though).

And those who expected to see Andy's A or even B game at this stage, I don't know in which world they live in. He's been out from the competitive tennis for such a long time, so what I saw tonight looked good enough to me by far.

He just needs to think more about the strategy of his game when going forward and get more 1st serves in, and if some signs of the rusty play can be wiped off, who knows how far he'll go here.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Pretty low quality overall, especially that first tie break, that was some godawful stuff by both players but glad Murray pulled it out. Always happy to see him winning after all that he’s been through in the past few years.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Good win with an excellent deciding set breadstick. First serve percentage suffered badly but apart from that he moved reasonably well and looked like the Murray of old. The main question will always be - how does he feel after a match like that? If he can beat Zverev next round then I'd say he will be happy to have played three competitive matches against very good opponents. Then we will see how his body recovers for the US Open.

Interesting that this tournament is basically the US Open with BO3 (same courts/stadium) so all the players will be well prepared for the real US Open 2020.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Tiafoe choked that first set TB.

Murray will gift Zverev his first win in Cincy(although he'll technically be winless since this is in NY)

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,438 Posts
That could've been a lot better but it's a decent start to Andy's return. Keep it up!!

Reactions: Rik1001

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
a bagel decider, lol. good for murph, good for the game.

foe's tennis IQ remains wanting and it's pretty obvious he hasn't been putting in the hard yards during lockdown.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
LMAO on people looking for high quality tennis... it's like the first day of tennis of new season and already expecting a high intensity tennis?
Having high standards and expectations from The Olympic King is only natural.

·
6,613 Posts
Tiafoe faded badly in the last set, but a win is a win, and Andy's experience was too much for Tiafoe to deal with.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I thought his Andy's hip had made it impossible for him to compete at a high level. He looked fit. Last time I was reading about him some Swiss random doctor was warning him that playing with a hip replacement could be very unhealthy, but he is out there.

I still think he should have just retired in like 2018, but even though Im officially bit of a hater Im happy that he looks healthy

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Tiafoe was dire. Good work by Murray to get it done, but a low quality match.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts