Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Jimmy Roberts says, "Roddick is No. 6 with a bullet!"

I guess this is good for American tennis. :) M-U-C-H better than watching Rusedski win last year. Hope the ratings are high.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Congrats Andy! :)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
OK is this a respectable win or is this just another mickey mouse tournament?

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Congratulations, Andy! :)

Too bad for Paradorn. :sad: I could tell he was depleted and the trainer had to come out for his thigh. I don't know if Andy wore him down mentally as well. I liked the way he came back from Love-40 down to save his service game in the second set. I liked that he was getting frustrated and angry with his play, too. I think it shows that he won't settle for where his rank and game are right now. I hope it motivates him to do even better.

tennischick, do you think this is a respectable win for Andy? I think a win is a win. But, the field wasn't as strong as Queens. This is good for his record and his confidence. But, I don't think it is a good indication of how well he'll do at the USO.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
tennischick said:
OK is this a respectable win or is this just another mickey mouse tournament?
well if u consider this win a mickey mouse tournament, then you have to also say the other 2 clay court events this week were mickey mouse tournaments as well, because they all had very similar points for the winners. Andy did beat the #3 and #2 seeds here, so its not a bad win. not a huge tournament, but not a mickey mouse one

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think this is a very good win, every tournemant win is good. Of course we can not predict is he will follow this up, but it's a good sign.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Well, I kept getting confused when you kept bringing up Jimmy Roberts in other threads.

And, yes, I can. I use my eyes when they caption the announcers and use my ears when they're introducing themselves. And then, you know, use my memory to remember who they are for future broadcasts in case I happen to miss introductions.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hurley said:
Well, I kept getting confused when you kept bringing up Jimmy Roberts in other threads.

And, yes, I can. I use my eyes when they caption the announcers and use my ears when they're introducing themselves. And then, you know, use my memory to remember who they are for future broadcasts in case I happen to miss introductions.
I admit you have better skills at deciphering NBC announcers than I do. I worship thee :bowdown:

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Respectable win for Andy. Queens is still his biggest, but this is 2nd. All the rest of his titles are pretty much crap.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
so far this year Andy has won three tournies on three different surfaces: St. Polten (clay), Queen's (grass), and now Indianpoulis (hardcourt). not too shabby for a prick who plays tennis wiith all of the intelligence of a fencepost. methinks Brad Gilbert has to be an underappreciated genius.

(note to Dickhead fans wiith too much time on their hands -- do feel free to corrrect any typos in the above). :eek:

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tennischick said:
so far this year Andy has won three tournies on three different surfaces: St. Polten (clay), Queen's (grass), and now Indianpoulis (hardcourt). not too shabby for a prick who plays tennis wiith all of the intelligence of a fencepost. methinks Brad Gilbert has to be an underappreciated genius.
I direct you to what Courier said on this subject in the RCA thread :D

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yesterday Andy was too good. I think he is improved a lot after Wimby with new coach.

Congrats Andy. :hearts:
Better luck next time Ball. :hearts:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Indianapolis: Not Available in Stores

Paradorn Srichaphan learned tennis from his father and from videotapes. For the most part, the players he studied offered good examples. But we can't help thinking that he needs to beg, steal, or borrow a lob. You can see in his game that he grew up on hardcourts and didn't face many netrushers.

It didn't matter in the quarterfinal, where he handled Scott Draper (who likes his courts much faster) 6-4 6-2. Life got a lot more complicated in the semifinal. There, he faced Nicolas Thomann, who, like Werner Eschauer at Kitzbuhel, was a long-service veteran having the event of his life. Srichaphan started sloppily, and Thomann played an aggressive match, but eventually Srichaphan managed to get his teeth into the match, at least enough to bring things to a second set tiebreak -- and Thomann doubles-faulted to give Srichaphan the minibreak he needed. In the third, Thomann started to have problems with his hand. The Thai finally won 4-6 7-6 6-3. But he'd been two hours on the court, and that was as Roddick Andy Roddick had needed in both his quarterfinal and his semifinal combined.

On a good day, Xavier Malisse's return can give Roddick trouble. Friday wasn't a good day; Malisse wasn't at his best even at the beginning, and he was having arm troubles at the end. Roddick slammed into a meeting with Sjeng Schalken (a 1-6 6-1 6-2 winner over Robby Ginepri) 6-4 6-1.

And Schalken is not the sort of player to threaten Roddick, even though he's ranked far higher than Malisse. To beat Roddick, you need some special weapon: A big serve, a big return, the ability to get everything back. If you have such a tool, you may be able to make Roddick look bad. But Schalken has a predictable and not overly powerful serve; a steady but not spectacular ground game, and doesn't set records for speed. Roddick picked him apart 6-3 6-2.

Our final therefore featured a well-rested Roddick against a tired Srichaphan. And Roddick was charging the net a lot, and Srichaphan wasn't lobbing. Srichaphan had a chance to break, and didn't convert, and that was about that. The rest of the first set went to serve, usually easily. But it was a hot day (and Srichaphan probably didn't help his cause by wearing black). Roddick was pouring sweat, but he seemed to have far more in reserve. Srichaphan lost a tired-looking tiebreak, and just didn't seem to be moving in the second set. He was broken on a double-fault in game five, and that was just about that. Roddick took home his third title of the year 7-6 6-4. Of course, it's another optional event, meaning that it hardly touches his ranking -- but it's impressive to note that his three titles are on three different surfaces (St. Poelten on clay, Queen's on grass, and now Indianapolis on hardcourts).

Even though he had never won a title before this week, Andy Ram of Israel seems to be turning into a significant force in doubles (you may recall him from the Wimbledon mixed doubles final; he aso made the men's doubles semifinal). He and Mario Ancic (who came in with a doubles record of 1-4 this year) won the doubles title, beating Robby Ginepri and Diego Ayala 2-6 7-6 7-5.

tennisone.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts