Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another great run by Humbert, who won last challenger of a season in Andria without losing a single set by beating Filippo Baldi in a final.

Since late July, he made 6 (!) challenger finals, winning 3 of them. He's right now #84 in ranking.

The reason why I created this topic is that Humbert becomes the most underrated player of his generation. Without a match against Wawrinka at US Open, most of people wouldn't be aware of his existence, but he made some very solid runs in the second part of a season.

He started a year at #378, played over 80 matches (not counting qualies), won 3 ITF Futures tournaments and as many Challengers, and right now he's in top100 in age of 20. Other NextGen players, like Munar and Hurkacz, receive more showcase thanks to their appearance in Milan, but it's quite clear now Humbert's path of development is much more impressive considering he's up 300 places in ranking at the end of a season in comparison to its beginning, and he's whole year younger.

My only concern is amount of matches he played this year, because it was so Carreno-esque load. His effectiveness at CH level suggests he can be close to top30 player next year if he stays healthy and plays on some solid level on clay. That's solid sign for France tennis lacking any serious talents right now.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Damn, was hoping Baldi would pull off the win but whatever.

Humbert does indeed look like he could transition to the main tour very soon

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
My only concern is amount of matches he played this year, because it was so Carreno-esque load. His effectiveness at CH level suggests he can be close to top30 player next year if he stays healthy and plays on some solid level on clay. That's solid sign for France tennis lacking any serious talents right now.
No, winning lots of matches on the challenger tour doesn't suggest anything about top 30 potential. He beat one top 100 player in the three tournaments he won and the second best player was ranked 140!

I think he will stay in the top 100 next year which is good enough for someone who started the year playing futures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts