Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Ace Loveforty
83,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a career plagued by injuries didnt prevent him being a hero in his country. some of you might remeber his dramatic match against Magnus Norman in DC final when his shoulder cracked at 6-6 in the 5th set

junior no.1 and winner of RG and USO juniors in 1990
highest ranked italian in the 90s, ranked 18th in 1995 (same as Camporese a few years earlier)
3 tournaments won and 6 finals lost
reached 1 DC final and 1 SF for Italy

his wins against top players

3 wins against Rios
3 Kafelnikov
2-0 Stich
2-0 Krajicek (1 on carpet)
1 Courier in US Open
3 Muster (1 on clay)
2 Bruguera (both on clay)
3-1 Korda
2 Schalken (both on hard)
1 Blake

and totally owns Schuettler 3-0

would have had much more satisfactions in his career if he wouldnt have got so many surgeries in his shoulder

well done champ

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

·
Ace Loveforty
83,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
124,507 Posts
Agassi Aces posts something else besides anything to do with Agassi or Agassi related, it's a memorable day on GM.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yuou've seen that DC final GWH?

·
Ace Loveforty
83,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
124,507 Posts
I have seen that one and I remember Gaudenzi of course.

When he won in Båstad.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
124,507 Posts

·
Ace Loveforty
83,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I remember also a funny story about the DC SF in 1996 when thye almost beat the french in France. After Furlan's victory which took them to 2-0, Gaudenzi went close to Furlan while celebrating and said something; an italian sports comedy program showed in slowmotion and what he said was "I'll give you a kiss in your mouth"

·
124,507 Posts
Here is the man in his job as an agent, yes he eventually got his M.B.A

·
Ace Loveforty
83,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is the man in his job as an agent, yes he eventually got his M.B.A

he's tha manager of Montano, the fencing gold medalist from Athens 2004?

didnt know that

he's getting good money from Montano anyway, the guy has had more TV contracts than fencing matches won in the past 2 years

·
124,507 Posts
he's tha manager of Montano, the fencing gold medalist from Athens 2004?

didnt know that

he's getting good money from Montano anyway, the guy has had more TV contracts than fencing matches won in the past 2 years
Well I am not sure if he is Montano's agent, but I assume he would be and there are a few players he manages. So he is using his business degree for something.

·
124,507 Posts
Q. Where was that match when you got up in the umpire's chair and said, "game, set, match"?

ANDREA GAUDENZI: Ivanisevic match in Paris the one I lost.

Q. When the umpire --

ANDREA GAUDENZI: The umpire went down and said "I have to go to the toilet," I said, "Yes, normally the players go to the toilet," so I went to the chair umpire.

Q. What did you think when he dumped the forehand in the net at the end of the match?

ANDREA GAUDENZI: I don't even remember how was the point because I thought every time I was serving I said, just concentrate. It is not match point. Play a normal point. I wanted to serve and volley I don't know if I did if I miss a few serves, I don't remember.

Q. That was the match point that you won?

ANDREA GAUDENZI: Yes, but --

Q. Second serve, he ran around --

ANDREA GAUDENZI: I don't remember. I was out of place.

Q. When you lost the sixth match point were you concerned that you might --
ANDREA GAUDENZI: That's what I said, I was ready to play the fifth set, but I know how these things go. It's going to come back and I have to be ready to play the fifth and not freak out and give it to him.

Q. Did you have a particular strategy going into the match against Courier?

ANDREA GAUDENZI: Yes, the most important thing was not to be passive but to be aggressive and especially to open the court with a backhand down the line because he turns around all the time the forehand so I have to open the court with my backhand down the line and come in on -- I cannot tell you everything, otherwise -- this is our secret. That's it.

Q. Did you have any sense that he might be a little vulnerable because he had been talking about retiring and all that stuff?

ANDREA GAUDENZI: Well, the way he played against Krickstein and I don't know what day it was, I think he played a very good match and he came here one year earlier, I mean, I think he's just talking. It's just words.

Q. Did you watch the Krickstein match on television?

ANDREA GAUDENZI: Yeah, a little bit.

Q. You won 90 percent of your points at the net. Was that intentional?

ANDREA GAUDENZI: I probably won three times.

Q. You won 33 times.

ANDREA GAUDENZI: What? 33? No.

Q. According to the numbers -- No. Not true.

ANDREA GAUDENZI: I don't know -- well, I don't know. I might be. I don't

·
Ace Loveforty
83,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts