Mens Tennis Forums banner

701 - 720 of 732 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
He's going to get in trouble with this costume ---

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/01/andre-agassi-went-dressed-up-as-mr-t/

As a person of colour (though not black), I have to say I'm not personally offended because he's dressed as a specific person/character rather than a generic 'black person.' But still, I am very disappointed that he chose to go the blackface route -- he really should have known better.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sorry but I can't understand why all these issues about the costume especially since he is dressed up as a specific person.. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure what the issue is either. The costume is amazing and he looks great. Except for few, no one is going to take it in a negative way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ya it's a bit difficult to understand the issue I think if you're not aware of the very specific historical connotations associated with blackface. That is what creates the issue. I think the wikipedia article explains it quite well -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

I agree that because he has chosen to go as a specific person, rather than a generic black man, his costume is way less problematic, and as I said I wasn't offended by it. However, I wish he had just gone as Mr. T. without painting his skin darker.

It just seems a little bit crazy that, considering all the work he does for his school, which has a majority of black students, that he would even consider painting his skin in that way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Know what the 'Black Face' significance is what it is all about and not to hurt anyone's feeling here but there is a significant difference between what the history of Black Face is and what Andre did. Nobody would have even known about this if Cahill didn't tweet the photo. It is not as if Andre showed up to a meeting or some other stage show with his face painted, for all said and done, this is a halloween party at his home. People who have issue with him painting his face black will even have issues with a white 'Mr.T' saying how insensitive Andre is to depict Mr.T as a white person. Better to just accept it as a Halloween costume and move on.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
haha I lied - I have one final comment - I agree with what you say that in most of these cases, it's best to just accept as a costume and nothing more and move on.

701 - 720 of 732 Posts