Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Agassi can win more big titles?! What?!
This was certaintly an incorrect suggestion by whoever it is that said it *too lazy to scroll up* I do believe that they were refering to Agassi's large number of Masters Series titles compared to Hewitts, and that he's won them on just about every surface. Indoors, clay, and hardcourt.

However in doing so they ignore Hewitt's two slams on different surfaces and his two Masters Cup titles.

Onward...

So he can win events when Lleyton gets tired out. He can win the Australian Open when half the top players are out or injured. That's not diversity.
Seeing as he beat Lleyton the last time that they played, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Did Hewitt play Madrid and Rome? What about Miami?

Maybe Hewitt only wins titles when Agassi is tired or not playing?

If we are going to cancel out grand slam titles that were won thanks to a weak draw, I suppose that we can throw out Hewitt's Wimbledon title as well? Sure he met good opposition in Schalken, but either than that it was all up to Henman who happens to be his "whipping boy".

Lleyton has won two different grand slams in the last two years. Agassi has won one. That speaks for itself.
Indeed it does. Mind you Agassi was injured for Australia last year, and I would have to think he'll be the favourite to win there untill the day he retires ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's not the number of t'ments they play, but what they win. After all only their 5 best "other t'ments" are counted. So if they play only 6 or 7 & get to the closing stages of all those, they have a good chance of being No. 1 at the end of the year as long as they have had fairly good results in the Slams & Masters.
Take last year, Andre didn't play Australia & went out in the 2nd round at Wimbledon, also didn't play a couple of the masters + think he actually played less t'ments than anyone else in the top 10, yet he had a good chance of ending the year at no 1.
Lleyton went out in the 1st rnd in Australia, certainly didn't play the last 2 Masters of the Year (& from what someone else said he either didn't play the 1st or went out early) & yet he ended at no 1.
Knowing Kafelnikov, he probably played the lot + more "other " t'ments than anyone else & ended up in the 20s.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Right now, I agree with you that Andre is the best player in the world but Hewitt is another matter. He has not played any tournaments bar AO. At this very moment, Agassi is definitely #1.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts