Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If in an era there are 3 slam winners with 25-23 and 21 slams, there is no real dominant of an era, while Pete won almost twice as many slams as his biggest rival, despite retiring like 4 years earlier.

Which makes the Goat claim get back to Pete.

Any opinions?

·
Your visions will happen
48,556 Posts
It's still Laver

·
Registered
556 Posts
Like @Johnny Groove says it's still Laver. The only man to dominate two slam seasons against his contemporaries. There is no counter argument.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
The truth is there is no greatest of all time - I am not sure why fans care so much. I can understand why tennis and sports media drum it up so much. Maybe fans just want to get one up on someone, but that's kind of laughable considering that it is not your achievement. That's why I will never understand MTF's "congratulations to X player and his fans".

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Don't see how you can be GOAT when the next best player of your era was on crystal meth for much of his career.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
so someone who failed to make RG final even once is now considered GOAT?
k, whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Like @Johnny Groove says it's still Laver. The only man to dominate two slam seasons against his contemporaries. There is no counter argument.
At least one counter argument is that the first one holds little significance, given that the best players were playing on the pro tour at that stage. The 2nd one was far from a dominant display, he is of course up there in the argument. In fact if you look at things logically Bill Tilden probably is or maybe Anthony Wilding.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Stats wise hard to debate against Laver.. At the same time, given Novak had to go through Fedal.. All that is remaining for Nole to accomplish is majors stat.. and he will consensus GOAT, imo. And I am a big Federer fan, will always remain. But credit where it is due, Novak will be GOAT as soon as he gets majors stat. As his masters record and some other records are simply unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
48,556 Posts
Shouldn't we be throwing Tilden & Wilding in here?
I have Tilden #7 and Wilding #10

Tilden- 14 slams, 7 YE #1, 368 weeks, never won wood slam, 2 finals, won grass/clay, 138 titles

Wilding- 9 slams, 5 YE #1, 244 weeks 123 titles

Laver- 19 slams, 6 YE #1, 332 weeks, 2 CYGS, 200 titles

1 - 20 of 38 Posts