Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He won Hamburg, posting a 6-2 6-3 win over Rafael Nadal-Parera! He didn't lose a set all tournament and beat Larsson, Bastl and Hanescu. Congratulations Mario and welcome to the top 60!!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Well done Super Mario!!!!

But is it necessary to open a new thread every time he wins? :confused:

That's a bit annoying (at least for me)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Just so I don't look stupid - in case he gets his ranking up another oh, ten spots by the summer, and I can see him in Montreal - how do you pronounce his last name?

I always get a kick out of listening to the people around me at tournaments attempt to pronounce foreign names, so I can't mess them up myself ;)

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Well, I can understand why names like Krasnoroutskaya and Barabanschikova on the women's side could cause problems, but really... it's so simple, like most Croatian names.

It's An-chitch, just like Ljubicic is pronounced Ljubi-chitch, and NOT Ljubi-chick, as the commentators on Eurosport insist on pronouncing it.

Mind you, I have it on good authority that the Sjengster's surname should actually be pronounced Sk-alken instead of Sch-alken, so what do I know?

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I don't have problems with the really long womens names like that - they just sounds as they appear usually.

I just wasn't sure if both C's were to make a "ch" sound or not - I likely would have made the "An-chick" error.

So thanks.

But what is this about Sjeng's surname? Have I had it wrong all along?

Am I right up there with the people who often sit around me talking about such players as "J-iri" and Thomas "Jo-hansson"?

The best mispronounciation of all time that I have heard, must have been when after his match somebody called out "GO Yev-Jenny!"

This should really have it's own thread.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Of course they just 25K challengers.

When you combine that with the fact he's taken a top 10 or top 20 (Federer, Schalken) scalp in 2 of the 3 slams he's played, it's all the more impressive ;)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
King Scotso of Aragon said:
No, when you combine that with the fact he's taken a top 10 or top 20 (Federer, Schalken) scalp in 2 of the 3 slams he's played, it's a wonder that he's playing challengers.
I assume that he was doing it to work his ranking up, so that he could qualify for bigger events.

I may be mistaken, but his ranking has moved into the top 60 mainly on the strength of his Oz performance? Perhaps he committed to this challenger before winning Oz?

Of course this is all assumption. Perhaps he plays challengers because he's lazy ;)

Regardless - he'll be forced to play main tour events all the time soon enough.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good job!! I hope you play some main draw events soon and win so that your ranking goes us faster!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sjengster said:
It's An-chitch, just like Ljubicic is pronounced Ljubi-chitch, and NOT Ljubi-chick, as the commentators on Eurosport insist on pronouncing it.

Well, almost. *g* The second 'c' as becca calls them is different from the first one. It's, ummm, softer I guess you could say. There is absolutely no word in english that has that sound, so i can't even try to write it.

As for the 'c's, they're not actually 'c's but different letters that are not in the regular latin alfabet. You see, Croatian has separate letters for all its sounds (though, technically that's debatable, but it's way bayond the scope of this post). Computers always have trouble printing our special characters, so they, it seems, gave up on it altogether.
The first one has a, a tick on it, I guess (like š, if that goes through, or an up-side-down ^), and the second one has just half a tick atop it (right half). So you have è and æ, but I doubt many will be able to see those properly.

And that concludes todays lecture on the intricaties of the Croatian language and spelling.
Thank you, and good night. :)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Rebecca said:
Perhaps he committed to this challenger before winning Oz?
:eek:

And here I was all this time thinking Mr Baldy won the OZ!!!

Silly, silly me. :eek:

:p

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
What about Sss-JENG! :p
It took like four years for the guys here to discover they were making fools of themselves.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
King Scotso of Aragon said:
No, when you combine that with the fact he's taken a top 10 or top 20 (Federer, Schalken) scalp in 2 of the 3 slams he's played, it's a wonder that he's playing challengers.
i think he wanted to warm-up for DC. he probably didn't play Milan (altho he was committed) because he didn't get a WC and didn't want to go through qualies

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Scott - there is a large difference between correcting a funny typo, and being a buttfuck and doing something that I have asked your not to do 1029381290832 times.

Please - if you don't want to talk to me anymore, and like you claimed in a PM, not utter another word to me - do so. If not, don't take every opportunity to show how incapable you are of logical reasoning at times.

Hitman - That was a fine typo wasn't? :hearts:

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Yes, Becca, it was priceless. I couldnt resist! :D Sorry :eek: ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts