Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
What is the point in that when he has all the money he will ever need?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Sometimes money is not the end all be all for some folks and they like the intellectual stimulation of some things? And some people may have careers for the joy of their profession and not just for money? Money is not everything for some people. And with his history of injuries, etc. it is nice to see an athlete have an idea for what he wants to do when he retires outside of being "retired athlete." God forbid anyone ever have a backup plan or actually have more than one intellectual interest.

Sorry- I just think this is pretty neat.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I know solicitors, lawyers. None of them get a buzz out of defending heroin addicts in court. (as an example)
All for the money.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
Sometimes money is not the end all be all for some folks and they like the intellectual stimulation of some things? And some people may have careers for the joy of their profession and not just for money? Money is not everything for some people.
Shocking concept, ain't it?

Sorry- I just think this is pretty neat.
It is.

Mario :worship:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
At least he will be able to defend himself or any players that have an issue with the ATP.

Good for him that he completed his degree, he came from quite a comfortable background anyway.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Wow - congrats to Mario. I think it's wonderful that he continued studying and achieved this. Perhaps with all the injury and illness he has suffered, it gave him time to realise that tennis life can be over at anytime, and even with all the money, he wanted some other career to fall back on that would fulfill him should that happen. Or maybe he just enjoyed the intellectual stimulation of learning and studying. Good for him :)

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know solicitors, lawyers. None of them get a buzz out of defending heroin addicts in court. (as an example)
All for the money.
That's good to know that all attorneys are that way. My husband took a $50K a year paycut for greater job satisfaction and relevance. I have two other friends who left firms to work for non-profit organizations (let's just say that was a pay cut). I will have to tell them that they are just about the money. ;)

·
85,829 Posts
That's good to know that all attorneys are that way. My husband took a $50K a year paycut for greater job satisfaction and relevance. I have two other friends who left firms to work for non-profit organizations. I will have to tell them that they are just about the money. ;)
It's news to me too as i sit here working a temporary job that pays crappily just so that i can be available to take a low paying entry level job that will force me into massive debt just to do the kind of law that interests me.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Good for him if he wants to have career in sports associations like Olympic committee or ATP in future.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's news to me too as i sit here working a temporary job that pays crappily just so that i can be available to take a low paying entry level job that will force me into massive debt just to do the kind of law that interests me.
I know Deb! While you were attaining your law degree- I could just tell that you were all about fur coats and private jets. :)

·
85,829 Posts
I know Deb! While you were attaining your law degree- I could just tell that you were all about fur coats and private jets. :)
Oh yes, and I plan to own a house compound in Bel-Air and only eat at Spago and the Ivy. After I get my Bentley :D

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
That's good to know that all attorneys are that way. My husband took a $50K a year paycut for greater job satisfaction and relevance. I have two other friends who left firms to work for non-profit organizations (let's just say that was a pay cut). I will have to tell them that they are just about the money. ;)
that's some people's annual salary. you're husband is a good man, and so are your friends.

I will be finishing a graduate degree pretty soon (PhD), but I'm hoping to switch to law right after.

I like what I do, but my decision is motivated by the uncertainty of academic and research careers. But also to a great extent by money.

Anyone who's lived the graduate life will know what I'm talking about.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
All for the money.
I guess you know the wrong ones. :rolleyes:

Great achievement Mario! It's always nice to see people excelling in more than just one thing. :worship:

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
It is not the degree itself which impresses me, but doing it while playing pro-tennis is quite an achievement. Bravo, Mario, well done. :worship:

·
85,829 Posts
that's some people's annual salary. you're husband is a good man, and so are your friends.

I will be finishing a graduate degree pretty soon (PhD), but I'm hoping to switch to law right after.

I like what I do, but my decision is motivated by the uncertainty of academic and research careers. But also to a great extent by money.

Anyone who's lived the graduate life will know what I'm talking about.
I don't think the desire to make enough money to live on is quite the same as the kind of thing that Burrow was suggesting. Everyone wants to make enough money to live on, but to suggest that all lawyers become so just to make a lot of money and get rich is just plain ignorant and untrue. and considering Mario's already got plenty of money and will only make more as his career progresses, one would think he had other more intellectual reasons for completing his degree.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Well its not like a tennis career lasts forever does it?

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
That is so nice to read. A very nice achievement:D I especially admire the fact that he completed the degree while on tour:yeah:

Reactions: Puschkin
1 - 20 of 115 Posts