Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad is not Melzer.

Dad is allegedly Konstantin Korneev.

Russian tennis player Anastasia Myskina, 26, has announced that she is four months pregnant with her first child. Anastasia was previously in a relationship with hockey player Konstantin Korneev but refuses to state the name of the father.
That topic is closed. I’ll just say that I am not getting married in the near future. I am a single person. I don’t know about the baby’s gender yet, and I haven’t decided yet where I will give birth -- in Russia or abroad.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :aparty:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Congrats..So I guess shw won't comeback soon.. :(

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Thats what I was thinking. Looks like no tennis for her in 08.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
a lot of celebs seem to get pregnant these days....
congrats to her!

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Congratulations to her - as long as she is happy that is all that matters :)

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Congratulations to her - as long as she is happy that is all that matters :)
Seconded. There's more to life than tennis. Hope she's very happy indeed and that her child will be healthy.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Congratulations to Nastya. :) I hope Anastasia has a healthy baby and a wonderful life after tennis. :D And congrats to the father.

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
Hopefully she will be back. Just because a woman has a baby doesn't mean that she's tied to the house. She can still have a career. It's the 21st century...the vast majority of women have a family and a successful career at the same time. Some of the guys on the ATP have families and that doesn't end their career...the women can do the same thing. :yeah:

·
Registered
55,432 Posts
congrats Nastya :D the father is not important and i'm sure she will be a great mother :D

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Not necessary. Look at Davenport.
I personally think Davenport is the exception though. She is also supported 24/7 by her husband, who travels with her and helps with the baby, which is something Anastasia does not have.

Of course, women can continue to have a successful career after giving birth, but, in my opinion, there's a hell of a lot of difference between returing to the top of a sedentary job or in business (where you can effectively remain working until the last minute), and doing so as a top-class athlete :shrug: With the best will in the world, no pregnant woman can train as hard and rigourously as a non-pregnant one, so Anastasia wll lose 6-9 months of training and fitness, during whch time, the other girls will overtake her in rankings, strength and fitness. Add to that the fact that most of the tennis circuit involves non-stop travelling, long-haul flights and changes of routine/Hotels etc, it is not the best start in life for a baby under a year old. Most of the male players I know with families rarely take their partners and babies on tour with them for the first year of a child's life, unless it is a "local" tournament, as the baby needs stability not constant travelling and changes of routine.

I would say she may come back in 2009 to play the odd exhibition and maybe some smaller tournaments, but I don't personally see iher returning to the top echelons of the game, when she will be a single Mother who is not getting any younger (in tennis terms), and younger women with more time to train will be coming up all the time.

I wish her all the best though - as ClayBuzza said, there is more to life then tennis, and giving her baby the best start in life must surely be way more important and fulfilling than the tennis circuit. Good luck to her.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
^^ I also wonder if her last 2 years of lackluster results has fueled her decision in any way. Even tougher to come back when you were already having troubles.
Either way I wish her and her family the best.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
I personally think Davenport is the exception though. She is also supported 24/7 by her husband, who travels with her and helps with the baby, which is something Anastasia does not have.

Of course, women can continue to have a successful career after giving birth, but, in my opinion, there's a hell of a lot of difference between returing to the top of a sedentary job or in business (where you can effectively remain working until the last minute), and doing so as a top-class athlete :shrug: With the best will in the world, no pregnant woman can train as hard and rigourously as a non-pregnant one, so Anastasia wll lose 6-9 months of training and fitness, during whch time, the other girls will overtake her in rankings, strength and fitness. Add to that the fact that most of the tennis circuit involves non-stop travelling, long-haul flights and changes of routine/Hotels etc, it is not the best start in life for a baby under a year old. Most of the male players I know with families rarely take their partners and babies on tour with them for the first year of a child's life, unless it is a "local" tournament, as the baby needs stability not constant travelling and changes of routine.

I would say she may come back in 2009 to play the odd exhibition and maybe some smaller tournaments, but I don't personally see iher returning to the top echelons of the game, when she will be a single Mother who is not getting any younger (in tennis terms), and younger women with more time to train will be coming up all the time.

I wish her all the best though - as ClayBuzza said, there is more to life then tennis, and giving her baby the best start in life must surely be way more important and fulfilling than the tennis circuit. Good luck to her.
Jon, Davenport's husband supports her return to the tour but he doesn't travel with Lindsay. She mainly travels with a nanny and her mother to Indonesia for her first tour.

I agree the same support system is not there for Myskina (a husband and a mother) but if she is determined enough, she can do it. Although as mentioned by you and Sue, her will may not be there.

·
Banned
105 Posts
My first thought was worry for the child :sad:

I wonder how badly the baby will turn out if she stays the way she is. I think there is likely to be some complications if she doesn't start changing her lifestyle. Someone of her weight is already virtually underweight and I hope she wises up and eats well and puts on enough weight during the pregnancy.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts

:p

I just posted, on another tennis message board, a congratulations to/about Evonne Goolagong Cawley: belatedly given the #1 ranking.

She, came back, after childbirth, to win Wimby. I remember her...:D

If, the most important thing in Anastasia's life is G-o-d...I imagine she will be back, at the top. Isn't life too good there? Drawbacks: she doesn't apparently have a male life-partner (what do I really know about her family?--) or even where she'll grant the child's citizenship.

...but, best of luck Anastasia!! :wavey: ...I always thought you were a cutie.;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts