Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Wonderful video! I don't think he is arrogant! In his on-court behaviour he is not arrogant, he just wants to win. I would say Nick Kyrgios is arrogant, especilly on the court.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Player of the Decade.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wonderful video! I don't think he is arrogant! In his on-court behaviour he is not arrogant, he just wants to win. I would say Nick Kyrgios is arrogant, especilly on the court.
Kirgios is like djokovic was when he showed up on the court, self confident, not arrogant.
Talking about coric, only Nadal and Djokovic were that strong at this age but I do not think he's one of those that makes you fall in love with tennis: plays very behind the backline, mainly in defense, he reminds me of murray.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wanted to open a thread about Ćorić but I'll put it in this one. It's about some things in his technique.

I noticed that he does not have stretched hands when he is hitting the ball. Neither on forheand but is especially noticeable on backhand side.

He plays it with curled hands in the moment of hitting the ball and it stays curled after swing. I always though this is wrong, and should be avoided and corrected but it seems to work for him on that backhand. Usually you have curled hand when you do swing before stroke, but you stretched it in moment of hit and it stays strectched after. Stretching gives you better reach and so on... It is sometimes unavoidable with some types of top-spins in certain situations but I've never noticed male player playes like this every stroke, maybe some woman now and then.

I think this is the reason why he hits so much forheand errors as he does not try to guide the ball like Federer in the moment of hitting, but rather he just goes with the turning of the body and his hand being curled just goes with it. It does work with the backhand, maybe because of the body follow up after the swing.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I wanted to open a thread about Ćorić but I'll put it in this one. It's about some things in his technique.

I noticed that he does not have stretched hands when he is hitting the ball. Neither on forheand but is especially noticeable on backhand side.

He plays it with curled hands in the moment of hitting the ball and it stays curled after swing. I always though this is wrong, and should be avoided and corrected but it seems to work for him on that backhand. Usually you have curled hand when you do swing before stroke, but you stretched it in moment of hit and it stays strectched after. Stretching gives you better reach and so on... It is sometimes unavoidable with some types of top-spins in certain situations but I've never noticed male player playes like this every stroke, maybe some woman now and then.

I think this is the reason why he hits so much forheand errors as he does not try to guide the ball like Federer in the moment of hitting, but rather he just goes with the turning of the body and his hand being curled just goes with it. It does work with the backhand, maybe because of the body follow up after the swing.
His forehand is plain ugly. That cramped technique is probably why he lacks power on that side.

·
Registered
724 Posts

You raise an interesting question! Borna Coric is a natural lefty and writes with his left hand. In the video he says that he uses his left hand more on his backhand. It is like a double-handed lefty forhand!!!Is it possble being a lefty to be the reason for his poor forehand? What do you think guys?

·
Registered
341 Posts
You raise an interesting question! Borna Coric is a natural lefty and writes with his left hand. In the video he says that he uses his left hand more on his backhand. It is like a double-handed lefty forhand!!!
I think majority of players are using more of the left hand on 2H backhand than right one. (If they are right handed)

Is it possble being a lefty to be the reason for his poor forehand? What do you think guys?
Could be, probably he doesn't have the same feel in the wrist as natural right-hander.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think majority of players are using more of the left hand on 2H backhand than right one. (If they are right handed)

I am not so sure about that one. They use the left hand but not more than the right one. The right wrist is leading the stroke while Borna's grip is different - he is leading with the left hand. Look at Monica Seles and you'll see the same thing.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am not so sure about that one. They use the left hand but not more than the right one. The right wrist is leading the stroke while Borna's grip is different - he is leading with the left hand. Look at Monica Seles and you'll see the same thing.
I am not sure either, I play 1H. But the majority of coatches here are telling me that you should try to use more of a left hand than right one with 2H. It's probably something that has evolved since early days of 2H backhand.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
His forehand is plain ugly. That cramped technique is probably why he lacks power on that side.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice his cramped groundies. It really bugged me when I saw him play so I want to watch him more to see how he makes it work.

Back when I learned to play (many decades ago) the coaches wanted a bent elbow throughout the swing (to be able to adjust to a sudden shift in trajectory apparently). I naturally fully extended my arm at contact on my forehand. Now I get less grief since a lot of pros, notably Federer and Nadal, use the extended arm on their strokes. The bent arm is still the dominant technique though. But not as cramped as Coric's strokes (his backhand specially).

Dadinjo is right. On a conventional two-handed backhand of a right-handed player, the left hand is the dominant force. The only player I can think of where this isn't the case is Roddick which explains why his backhand sucks.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Overrated.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I am not sure either, I play 1H. But the majority of coatches here are telling me that you should try to use more of a left hand than right one with 2H. It's probably something that has evolved since early days of 2H backhand.

:)
I hit one-hander. Coaches here telling me to do two-handed because it is more powerful but I can't, it was awlful when I did it, so I continued with the one hand. For my two-handed backhand is a mystery:worship:

·
Registered
14,490 Posts

Do you mean bend hands or bend arms? :confused:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Arrogant or not both are entertaining and fun to watch, if their style helps to win then why not?

To whatever I heard both are fun off-court and are not smugs like the way they are displayed inside the court, I would take that.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts