Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One real thing to keep an eye on over the next six weeks or so is Wimbledon seedings. Due to early exits by Nadal and Federer, plus Murray's excellence on grass despite a dip in form since, we could see a pretty big shakeup in the top eight seeds as compared to the rankings.

Math is not my strong suit but I think I've got it right here: 100% of grass points from 2013 + 75% of points from best grass tournament in 2012.

At this point it's a decent chance for Nole to be seeded #1 at Wimbledon, right? Finalist last year, semis the year before. If my math is right he'll "add" 1740 "bonus points" to his ranking points for seeding purposes.

Rafa's poor performances on grass notwitstanding, he's built up so many ranking points that he's still top on points if Wimby seeding were today, though he needs to make sure drops minimal points from now through RG. He'll only add 43.75 grass points :eek: on top of his ranking points.

Murray will probably make it into the top 4 by virtue of two grass titles last year and Wimbledon final in 2012. He'll also likely up his ranking before then as well, as he doesn't have much to defend on clay. Obviously he's not great on clay but even going into the second week of RG will be a big boost. His grass bonus points are 3150(!), if my math is right.

Federer will add 1795 to his ranking points for Wimbledon seedings.

If Wimbledon seedings were done today...

Rafa would have 12943.75 points
Nole would have 12780 points
Fed would have 7600 seeding points
Murray would have 7190 seeding points

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Stan will only add 167.5 points; today that would be good for 6747.5 seedings points.

Ferrer will add 630 grass points; would be good today for 5540 seedings points.

Berdych will add 438.75 grass points; good for 5158.75.

Could see a decent amount of movement outside of the top 10 but I don't feel like doing the math right now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Assuming your calculations are accurate the difference between Stan and Murray is only 450 points with most of the clay season still to go. I think it's 50/50 or even better that he outperforms Andy by that margin on clay this year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming your calculations are accurate the difference between Stan and Murray is only 450 points with most of the clay season still to go. I think it's 50/50 or even better that he outperforms Andy by that margin on clay this year.
Indeed. This will be something to watch, to be sure. Murray has 190 points to defend on clay. Wimbledon seedings are done after Queens/Halle as well, so he also has 250 to defend there. 440 points to defend before Wimbledon seeding.

Wawrinka has 1005 points to defend before seeding. (Rosemalen/Eastbourne aren't included in that year's seeding)

Obviously Wawrinka is in great form and is great on clay, whereas Murray is out of sorts and his clay play is merely adequate even when healthy. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Will Wawrinka not get 150 extra points for reaching the final of Rosmalen/Hertogenbosch last year?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will Wawrinka not get 150 extra points for reaching the final of Rosmalen/Hertogenbosch last year?
He does. The remaining 17.5 extra points are his Wimbledon 2012 and 2013 points. :eek:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I fallow tennis for a number of years and knew Wimbledon had a diferent seeding from other GS.

But only this year did i discover the formula.

And talk about beeing biased and elisted. Imagine of RG did the same. The outrage and outcry vs Rafa would be umberible.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
And talk about beeing biased and elisted. Imagine of RG did the same. The outrage and outcry vs Rafa would be umberible.
:rolleyes:

There are almost two dozen clay events on the calendar, including a major, three Masters, and three 500s.

Only six grass tournaments, with only one above the 250 level. Can't be compared.

For what it's worth, though, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to surface-based seeding for clay. It would make some sense, if not as MUCH sense as it does for grass.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I feel a bit bad for Stan - imagine being #3 and yet dropped to #5 for Wimbledon - but I can't get too exercised about it, because he's not good on grass, so his seed is unlikely to make a big difference anyway.

Z

·
0 Posts
Federer could feasibly lose his top 4 seed. It seems unlikely, but it could easily happen.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
:rolleyes:

There are almost two dozen clay events on the calendar, including a major, three Masters, and three 500s.

Only six grass tournaments, with only one above the 250 level. Can't be compared.

For what it's worth, though, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to surface-based seeding for clay. It would make some sense, if not as MUCH sense as it does for grass.

Im not comparing clay vs grass. Clay has much more tournaments then grass. My problem is giving more points to previous winners.

Has it always been like this? Even when grass had more tournaments like in the 70´s?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im not comparing clay vs grass. Clay has much more tournaments then grass. My problem is giving more points to previous winners.

Has it always been like this? Even when grass had more tournaments like in the 70´s?
Before 2001, the seeding method was totally subjective--a Seeding Committee sat around and decided the seeding. Now it's at least objective and transparent.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just realized my "grass bonus points" aren't actually final--you get to add 100% of any points you earned on grass in the last 12 months...meaning any points gained in June for Halle or Queens would also be added on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts