Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like scoobsuk did after this year's FO final. The "final score thread" is full of bullshit (which was predictable) and... right folks, something we really adore: tardism. So let's just try to leave emotions discuss what happened

FEDERER

In my opinion, the better one won. Roger's serve was sometimes shaky, but it was great when he needed it. Just look at these series of aces on BPs and stuff - great thing, especially because some people called him mental midget (LOL)

Forehand was not near his best, except for the 5th set. Too short, too defensive, like he was afraid of shooting his opponent down with this. Dunno why, the wind was not such a big factor today, he could risk more, not only on Rafa's 2nd serves

Backhand was good, not very good, but helped him at times. When he started showing some good stuff from the BH side in the beginning of the match, I thought it's going to be an easier victory than last year, but I was wrong. Slice was effective as always, but not as good as during his match against Safin when the ball was almost sitting on the grass and not getting up

Net game - a bit shaky, many errors during S&V attempts. What is more weird, is that IMO he's one of the best serve'n'volleyers on the tour today(if not the best) and today he was making way too many very silly mistakes

On the other hand, returns were really something worth mentioning. Those were mostly deep and didn't let Rafa to get total control of the point from the very beggining. Almost no mistake in the most important moment

Not so many dropshots. Why? Dunno. Sure, he doesn't show us many, but today they would be very effective IMO. Maybe he just knew Rafa didn't play that much recently as Djokovic retired and he knew he won't make him tired that way

NADAL

Chapeau-bas, it was a great performance. The forehand was always able to find Rog's backhand and that gave him many points. Very few mistakes, which is no surprising, but a visibly progress when you compare it with last year's final

The backhand was also better than average. Roger tried to use the specific tactics and played shorter cross-court forehands, but Rafa seemed really untroubled by that. Slice was a proper thing, not too offensive, but it never is in case of players using 2-handed BH

Serve was as it should be - to BH side, with a very high percentage of 1st ones. John McEnroe said that what helped him and Connors dominate Wimbledon was that a lefty serve was really troublemaking for their rivals on grass, and here was an example of it

Return was quite poor, but Roger wasn't able to get advantage out of it many times, so let's just say that it was enough for today (I'm talking about the shot itself, not the ability of reading Fed's 1st serve, because on grass it's sometimes close to impossible)

What else? Oh yeah, properly used dropshots. Mostly

CONCLUSION: This match showed us an importance of this little thing called MATCHUP. That's why it lasted so long. Nevertheless, Roger's game suits perfectly to grass, and therefore he won after bringing some godlike performance in the 5th set

Feel free to criticise and add some of your remarks please

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Bottom line is, Federer won because of his serve. Full credit to him.
Yep. Fed's serve appeared to be the deciding shot. Had it been OFF, Rafa would have won this match easily.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It really coresponds with what one user here mentioned - that Roger's serve is the only really masterful shot he's showed at this year's Wimbledon. But try to look at that from the other side - it gives him not only the place in the final, but also victory as well. Anyway, I think the serve played a great role, but it would not be enough to defeat Nadal anywhere, so it must have been a combination :)

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
More than that I think it was mental strengh and the confidence that Roger has on grass that won him the match because he served well but when it mattered he served absolutely brillantly.

Full credits to Nadal for playing an incredible match no one else would have been able to push Federer like that, his CC backhand was punishing Roger everytime he tried to run around his own backhand. Two truths denied by some idiots MTFers were exposed today : YES Nadal can play extremly well on surface other than clay and NO Federer is not a mental midget he has the heart of a champion

·
Registered
737 Posts
Fed's serve help and getting out of that mental fog.

Things would have been easier if it wasn't so much pressure to match and grass imo isn't really grass anymore.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Things would have been easier if it wasn't so much pressure to match and grass imo isn't really grass anymore.
There's a huge load of truth in this sentence. I'm not complaining about the game on grass now, cause it's more entertaining than the ace competition we had in the 90s, ut when Federer and Nadal play there's always much on the line, but nevertheless, today's match was really admirable

·
Registered
455 Posts
Fed... I wish he could be as brave and accurate as Nadal today when playing his attacking game....

I think the biggest factor that won Fed the title is strong endurance. It was amazing he could maintain his big service games and didn't crack his mind when getting 'misfortunes' or being under pressure.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Federer has the better serve, used it to great advantage on pressure situations.. two things.

Federer is a finesse player, who relies more on getting his opponent out of position..but this is difficult to do against Nadal...'cause he keeps bringing the ball back to your backhand.

So Federer needs to think about his court positioning against Nadal...Nadal is waaayy too powerful, for Roger to keep leavin that forehand corner so open.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the difficult thing for Roger when he plays against Nadal is that he needs to make new tactical ideas. That is because he doesn't have flat, sharp strokes like Blake which make him bad matchup for Rafa. He has to come up with new ideas, cause Nadal may get accustomed to the old ones and take advantage of it

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I wonder though, had the tables been turned. If Rafa had the fresher legs and Roger had been playing for 7 straight days, would Roger have been able to produce the kind of tennis he was able to in the 5th set?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder though, had the tables been turned. If Rafa had the fresher legs and Roger had been playing for 7 straight days, would Roger have been able to produce the kind of tennis he was able to in the 5th set?
Why not? Federer hardly ever sweats when playing on grass :D

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't think roger would need 5 sets against soderlingen, so then it wouldn't be 7 straight days

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
NADAL

Chapeau-bas, it was a great performance. The forehand was always able to find Rog's backhand and that gave him many points. Very few mistakes, which is no surprising, but a visibly progress when you compare it with last year's final
It IS surprising. Last year, I pretty much dismissed his low UE count, thinkin 'of course he doesn't UE when he never attacks, just retrieves the ball and relies on his superior physique to get him out of trouble'.

But this year, he was actually going for winners, attacking Fed on GRASS, and pulled off even MORE winners than Fed himself (aces excluded): 49 to 41. So yes, his STILL low UE count is VERY MUCH surprising, at least for me.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
1. Slow and high-bouncing grass (sun-struck also) taking away all advantage from Federer and allowing Nadal to effectively employ his ussual game. It was an even contest, both players played great and it was great to watch, but not grass-court tennis

2. Federer proved he is mentaly tough against Nadal also

3. Nadal risen to the occasion and played his best match outside of clay, but also once again proven everytihng bad that he stands for and with which he irritates people. He began his appearance with irritating gamensmanship, that maybe most affects the audience - destroying the rhythm of the match and taking away the joy of watching, and ended it with a shamefull speach, in which he maliciously imitated Federer.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts