Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of Steve Johnson's game? He's been under the radar compared to Isner, Sock and Querrey but I feel like he could develop further at least establish good stand in the rankings. His background is interesting, only joining the ATP tour last year, after good success on the American college system. He's only a few days older than Nishikori so there's time for him to keep improving.

His run at Washington was remarkable. Taking down Tomic, Dimitrov and Sock, and almost tipping the tables on Isner. Watching the highlights of the Isner encounter, this guy is quite a creative player, good serve, 2nd serve has nice kick out wide, while he may lack a conventional BH he can still keep in rallies with slice and the FH is very efficient, when he's on, that wing targets so well. I also see a degree of clarity in his game compared to Querrey in that he's less likely to spontaneously implode. Had he beaten John Isner, it would have been his first final at any level, for ATP500 would be impressive indeed. The only thing keeping him from being a top 40 contender on consistent level is that he hasn't adapted to clay or grass surfaces as well as HC and needs more experience in pressure situations. But from a purely technical standpoint, Johnson is quite truly a delight to watch and should get more appreciation from tennis fans. If he can keep this level through the remainder of season on HCs, maybe time will tell.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Re: An appreciation for Steve Johnson: thoughts on his game

only joining the ATP tour last year.
:confused::unsure:

As for his game, I don't mind watching Johnson, but I think his peak will remain around the 30-40 mark. That backhand holds him back way too much, and his serve/FH combo is only so lethal. I see him as a poor man's Sock, to be honest. (right now they may be at a similar level, but Sock is the bigger prospect)

·
Bring it Home
20,500 Posts
He is a decent player, with some flaws, but he's very smart.

Smart players tend to be overacheivers. He most likely will reach TOP 20 at some point, but that's all.

·
54,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is a decent player, with some flaws, but he's very smart.

Smart players tend to be overacheivers. He most likely will reach TOP 20 at some point, but that's all.
That smartness is very welcome on the ATP amongst so many headaches and chokers. He really sets his*points quite*well. But yeah that BH is a weakness, he does run around it a lot. Agree with your assessment.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
I watched Johnson play for the first time back in 2012 in Aptos. He won the title without losing a set. I was even more impressed with his game later that year after he managed to beat Ram and Gulbis at US Open.

Could see Johnson winning couple of ATP 250 and reaching top 20-25 in the rankings at some point but that's probably his maximum.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Re: An appreciation for Steve Johnson: thoughts on his game

I see him as a poor man's Sock, to be honest. (right now they may be at a similar level, but Sock is the bigger prospect)
Pretty much. I like Sock's game more (that FH :drool:) but Johnson got a better mentality and is a more likeable guy.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Unfortunately, I think he's reached his ceiling. There's only so much you can do without improving the bh side, right now he's just another american clone. I don't see improvement out of him, except that he can cover his weaker side a lot better now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
johnson's game is too passive, i was surprised he almost beat isner. johnson does have a good 2nd serve kicker, but other than that he has nothing. he gets destroyed by players with a power game. last week he lost 4 and 2 to berankis in atlanta..

·
Your visions will happen
49,294 Posts
Johnson is the USA Estrella Burgos

Good serve, good forehand, good fitness, strong and mature mentally.

BUT AN INABILITY TO ATTACK FROM THE BACKHAND SIDE

If you cannot attack from both sides, top 40 is the most you can achieve

·
Registered
17,950 Posts

This could be reversely true to Sock as well.
His backhand is a big liability still. He may never enter Top20 if he won't improve on it.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Poor man's Sock? Sock isnt even a TOP25 player and he's not a young gun. Or he shouldn't be considered one while hes ranked so low at his age. :facepalm:
Steve is my fav american player and since he went to college he couldnt invest as much time into his game as all the other ppl ranked close to him. I think he's talented and hard working and I said that he'll be in TOP20 at some point in his career. Obviously, he has a lot of room to improve. And its the dedicated, hardworking types, in which I trust the most to live up to their potential.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

There are lots of players in the top 40 who cannot attack well from both sides.

·
Bring it Home
20,500 Posts

Lopez managed to reach #12. :eek:

·
54,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Poor man's Sock? Sock isnt even a TOP25 player and he's not a young gun. Or he shouldn't be considered one while hes ranked so low at his age. :facepalm:
Steve is my fav american player and since he went to college he couldnt invest as much time into his game as all the other ppl ranked close to him. I think he's talented and hard working and I said that he'll be in TOP20 at some point in his career. Obviously, he has a lot of room to improve. And its the dedicated, hardworking types, in which I trust the most to live up to their potential.
This is what intrigues me most. If he was fully devoted during those years imagine how much better he could be with his raw talent.

There are lots of players in the top 40 who cannot attack well from both sides.
Yep I have Tsonga, Raonic, Lopez, Karlovic and Isner in mind. But of course they cover it up with something else.. serve and FH really. And of course Roddick.

·
29,637 Posts
Nothing special. OK serve, OK forehand, that's that.

Motivated Fognini even off clay has more in his locker- no big surprise.

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
He's such a typical american. Big serve, big forehand. But avarage movement and shitty backhand. Jesus. Have they learned nothing the last 10-15 years? That won't do the job anymore.

Not only are Johnson's skills very limited but he is also a choker. Boring player.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts