Who will win the most slams?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interestingly enough, for all the talk about GS and the Big 3, I don't think this thread has ever been raised. For a long time on MTF it was virtually universally believed that the GS record belonged to Federer. Nowadays that consensus doesn't seem as clear.

So, when all is said and done, who will be the proud holder of the GS record? Arguably the most important record in tennis.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Luca Vanni

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my jugdement, both Nadal and Djokovic will surpass Federer's Grand Slam record. The Next Gen (Zverev, Tsitsipas and Shapovalov) simply has no weapons to stop Nadalovic. Federer won his last Grand Slam at age 36. So Nadal and Djokovic will keep dominating the tour until 2023 (the year Djokovic reaches 36). I also consider that Roger Federer will never win another Grand Slam. He is 37, and honestly too old to compete againt Nadalovic in Grand Slams.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
No1e will win the most slams. But he doesn't need to have the slam record to be regarded as the GOAT. The slam record only looks at quantity. It doesn't look at quality (opposition, for example). Not all slam wins are the same. Nobody in their right mind would say beating Kiefer and Baghdatis in the SF and F (just one example of many) is the same as beating Federer and Nadal in a SF and F (or any one of the two). Yet they all count as 1 slam win in the end, which is so wrong.

If we're looking at quality and not quantity, then No1e already has the most slams. Period.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Most slams
Quantity: Federer
Quality: No1e

No1e already has the most slams if we're looking at quality.

·
6,247 Posts
Probably Federer, but as long as Nole can get the DCGS and standalone AO and hard court goat status, that will be more than enough.
Nadal will probably come close on RG's alone, but Nole will be in a position to challenge on clay next year, and may well stop it.

·
Your visions will happen
47,134 Posts
Not looking past tomorrow's practice session

Not looking past tomorrow's draw ceremony

·
Registered
312 Posts
Among the "Big 3", who will win the most GS?

Most slams

Quantity: Federer

Quality: No1e

No1e already has the most slams if we're looking at quality.

I agree. Novak without doubt won his slams in the most difficult era, (Nadal, Federer, Murray, Del Po, Wawrinka).

With the exception of Nadal on clay, the only time the other two have had any success is when Nole wasn't there. Whereas Nole's success meant he battled through Fed and Nadal constantly.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I think [insert whichever player I support] will win the most Grand Slams because they're great and everyone else is sh*t.

If you want a more serious answer then it's impossible to say. If Nadal was able to sustain his form the way that Federer has, for as long as Federer has, then he would be pretty likely to have the most IMO, because he will almost inevitably keep winning the French Open.

Whether that will happen remains to be seen, as what Federer has done is unique, but much more is now known about how to sustain an athlete physically, so it might not remain unique.

Conversely, Nadal could get a bad injury tomorrow, and never play again.

BTW all of this stuff about 'quality' Slams is just b*llocks. I'd be embarrassed to write it down.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
as of now i’d say fed. nadal is within striking distance but the tennis gods always seem to conspire against him via injury or grandmaster flash whenever he approaches. i haven’t written djoker off completely, but he’ll have to remain healthy and hungry and go on another serious tear very soon to catch fed. winning the uso and ao would be a good start.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Most probably Federer. He has the lead now, and the other two are running out of time.
I think Nadal has a reasonable chance of catching him, but he needs some good fortune: no major injuries, no new emerging player dominating, a beatable Djokovic, winning those tight 5-setters, and most importantly no more Federer slams.

It's hard to see Djokovic catching Federer. Even if he wins as many Slams in the next four years as he did in the 4-year period from 2011 to 2014 (a really good period for him in which he dominated), then he'd get 6 more slams. So even that wouldn't be enough. And by that point, he'll be 35...

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's impossible to predict at this point because it depends on many factors, with the biggest one being their health.

The only way either Rafa or Nole will have a chance to surpass Fed's 20+ count is if they will remain as healthy as Roger has in his 30s, otherwise they basically have no chance of getting there. And staying healthy will be much more difficult in your 30s than when you're in your 20s.

Then another big factor is how much the Next Gens & GenU will step up in the next 5 years. You see, another thing almost no1 talks about which is a huge part of why Fedalovic dominated so much since 2008 until today is because the younger guys who were coming up were basically not a huge threat to them, so they just kept dominating & winning slams for over a decade. The ONLY 3 "young" guys that come to mind who somewhat challenged them but ultimately failed were Raonic, Nishikori, and Dimitrov (and god at some point that list also included Tomic & Harrison), with the 4th 1 being Goffin and maybe 5th one being Thiem who came to the scene a few years later tho. Everyone else was a complete mental midget who had no chance and was lucky enough to be a consistent top 50 plater. With Delpo being injured most of his 20s, Wawrinka peaking too late & recently getting injured, and Cilic/Berdych/Tsonga being complete disasters against them most of their career...it's no wonder that they kept on dominating for the past 10 years. No1 was really good enough or on the same caliber as them to truly challenge them on a week in/week out basis.

But now you look at the Next Gens, and they have way more potential IMO than Nishikori/Dimitrov/Raonic/Goffin/Thiem & their generation did when they were young. There's a lot more variety of them now and they already had some big results, with Chung+Edmund making semis of a slam, Shapovalov making semis of 2 masters at 18/19, Zverev winning 3 or 4 Masters 1000 at 20/21, Tsitsipas making the finals of a Master 1000 at 19/20, Khachanov starting to push them lately, and then FAA emerging to the scene appearing to be the next tennis prodigy. Already by 21/22 they're showing a lot of progress and they are really hungry for a lot of success at the biggest tournaments.

And with the Big 3 aging and being past their 30s, this is their best chance to do some real damage and break through and capture at least 1 slam each year starting next year, which will make it much harder for Djoko & Rafa to catch up to Roger's sweet 20.

Now would they have been able to do just as much damage at a fairly young age like they are now, if they were coming up 5-10 years ago when Fedalovic were at their prime? That will always remain a mystery & be unknown (tho they prob would have challenged harder than Gen U), but right now is almost the perfect time for them to break the ice and capture some slams in the coming years and show that they are indeed the future and will stay to dominate.

And the final factor is really how bad they want this, and how much do they enjoy the game? They don't need to prove anything to anyone anymore, and they're still playing because they want and love to. So if their time will come when they will not enjoy the tour and the traveling as much for whatever reason in the next few years & call it quits...then they would have no chance to pass Roger.

But with all that being said, to answer your question...I have a feeling that Nadal might surpass Roger's count by the end of their career, or be tied at the very least. He's not that far behind, yet is a whopping 5 years younger. Even if he only wins the next 3/5 RGs, you have to think he will win another US Open/AO or 2 in this time period as well, and that would already put him ahead of Roger assuming he doesn't win any more slams or only 1 more. And Djokovic has a much longer way to go, yet is around the same age as Rafa, so statistically he's much less likely to surpass either Rafa or Roger, but only time will tell.

1 thing's for sure - this year's US Open would be huge for all of them and there will be a lot to fight for, esp given how unpredictable it's been in the past several years.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Been reading this forum for some time.

Is this the most original thread you could come up with?

Only 393375389739329523962358926398325 threads like this have been created.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Among the "Big 3", who will win the most GS?

I agree. Novak without doubt won his slams in the most difficult era, (Nadal, Federer, Murray, Del Po, Wawrinka).

With the exception of Nadal on clay, the only time the other two have had any success is when Nole wasn't there. Whereas Nole's success meant he battled through Fed and Nadal constantly.
As far as I am concerned, Nadal leads the H2H over Djokovic in Grand Slams 9-5 (including 2-1 at the US Open). If Nadal has only had success with Djokovic on clay, why does he lead the H2H over him at the US Open? It seems like your comment is based on a false premise (Djokovic leading the H2H over Nadal everywhere in non-clay Grand Slams).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Probably Federer, but as long as Nole can get the DCGS and standalone AO and hard court goat status, that will be more than enough.
Nadal will probably come close on RG's alone, but Nole will be in a position to challenge on clay next year, and may well stop it.
By this logic of hoping for the past to be repeated, Nadal can repeat the 2010 season (only player to win 3 Grand Slams on 3 surfaces the same calendar year) or the 2013 season as well.

If Djokovic wins one more Australian Open he still needs to improve his US Open resume to be the best hard court player. Federer has 11 Grand Slams on hard courts, Djokovic would have 9 if he wins the Australian Open next year.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Among the "Big 3", who will win the most GS?

As far as I am concerned, Nadal leads the H2H over Djokovic in Grand Slams 9-5 (including 2-1 at the US Open). If Nadal has only had success with Djokovic on clay, why does he lead the H2H over him at the US Open? It seems like your comment is based on a false premise (Djokovic leading the H2H over Nadal everywhere in non-clay Grand Slams).

We don't have to agree. As far as I'm concerned, Djokovic did not emerge into what we know him for until post 2010. Nadal has 5 slam wins over Novak before 2010. 3 of which came on clay...2 of which Novak retired (around 2007, im missing the other year). 1 of them a US Open. (Those shouldn't add up by the way, some matches are referenced twice there).

2011 onwards the record is 5-4 (if I've done the math right?) in Novak's favor. 3 for Nadal on Clay. And 1 US Open. Certainly the trend is that Nadal had more success on Clay in Djokovic's prime era.

I'm not saying we just completely ignore Djokovic's pre 2010 results, but every player when they first come on to the scene has a period where they are still learning the sport, and 2007 - 2010 is just a different Novak. One who had fitness issues, lacking confidence, and just not the same player who showed up 2011 onwards.

I would give Nadal and Roger the same courtesy, in their head 2 heads except Novak wasn't an elite player when those guys came onto the tour so he doesn't have wins over them when they were still innocent teenagers.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think you've been paying attention. :rollseyes2:
Actually, I don't think it has. Then again, since you've been paying close attention, you're free to direct me to the thread in place. :yeah:
Been reading this forum for some time.

Is this the most original thread you could come up with?

Only 393375389739329523962358926398325 threads like this have been created.
Whose double account are you?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts