Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all i want to read opinions of some americans.

can you imagine some american player to work hard on court like Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray, Ferrer?

I remember when Roddick tried something similar 3 years ago, he even played semifinal of clay masters, took set from Fed and then he just gave up 6 months later when he realised how hard it is.

when Monaco bagels and breadsticks two best american player of this decade on hardcourt in your country, something is really wrong...

Maybe this problem has even deeper context and "no pain no gain" is just not part of american dream...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
First off, Miami these days is probably the slowest court on the planet, not just because of the surface, but because of the conditions (balls move slower through the air for example). As it currently is, Miami is going to suit guys who are very consistent from the baseline with great retreiving skills. Big servers could in theory prevail, but they must serve big all match, and return big when it matters, and that's not easy to do but it can be done (see Roddick beating Federer a couple of days ago). America hasn't produced any big retrievers recently. Roddick, Isner and Querry are serve bots. Fish has a good serve, but he has a bit more to his game (Roddick had more to his game a few years ago but seems to have lost it recently). Harrison has the makings of a good retriever, but he needs a lot of improvement.

As it stands, the likes of Simon, Monaco, Ferrer, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Monfils, will eat American tennis for breakfast on courts like Miami as they are currently are.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I wouldn't say they don't work hard enough. I think they are simply not as talented as players like Djokovic, Rog etc. I find that most of American players are simply too one dimensional. it's going to take some time till we see a new talent from the States. I like Harrison but not sure that he'll be able to achieve anything big. Roddick, Isner, Fish etc. are the thing of the past. sure they will some big matches here and there but that's it.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I wouldn't say they don't work hard enough. I think they are simply not as talented as players like Djokovic, Rog etc. I find that most of American players are simply too one dimensional. it's going to take some time till we see a new talent from the States. I like Harrison but not sure that he'll be able to achieve anything big. Roddick, Isner, Fish etc. are the thing of the past. sure they will some big matches here and there but that's it.

Agree in everything but Isner from the past?? He's at the peak of his career right now.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The good ol' American game style is way too dependant of court speed. That style was great on the fast hardcourts we were used to see. Good serve and first punch. But movers and retrievers feast on game styles like that these days if you can't keep up in the baseline rallies. Isner can overcome it at times even on slower surfaces because his serve is the best among the top players, but overall baseline grinders will prevail more often than not. I don't think it has anything to do with work ethics. Most American players play with a big desire to win.

Harrison and and to some extent Young have more to their games than that, but are still a work in progress.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Agassi in his 30s was set the standard for hard work- Harrison now is incredibly fit and hardworking.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
hit the ball as hard as you can, big and hard.

tall and muscular...hit hard hard hard. dunk always instead of long shot that's american culture.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
hit the ball as hard as you can, big and hard.

tall and muscular...hit hard hard hard. dunk always instead of long shot that's american culture.
Wrong sport. :facepalm:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts