Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ginepri and Blake won a tourny this summer and have played well this US OPEN! Dent is in the mix still after beating more top 10 players this year than Andy has.(Safin, Hewitt)

Can these guys make a run for the top ten and take some of the weight off Andy's shoulders?

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Fumus said:
Ginepri and Blake won a tourny this summer and have played well this US OPEN! Dent is in the mix still after beating more top 10 players this year than Andy has.(Safin, Hewitt)

Can these guys make a run for the top ten and take some of the weight off Andy's shoulders?
no

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
Right now Robby and James seem to be having a great summer. I don't know if any of these guys will ever help unburden Andy but they sure seem to be trying hard...

American men vanishing at U.S. Open
Only six U.S. players remain after 18 started tournament
The Associated Press
Sept. 1, 2005

NEW YORK - When the U.S. Open got under way, there were 18 American men in the draw.

By the time Wednesday’s play was over, two-thirds were gone with fourth-seeded Andy Roddick’s loss the biggest upset in the Open so far. And of the six Americans left, only seventh-seeded Andre Agassi, an eight-time Grand Slam champion, is a household name.

“It’s a shame,” Taylor Dent said Wednesday after beating Germany’s Lars Burgsmuller 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4. “Obviously, all the hype with Andy coming in here, this was his tournament. Even though Federer’s the No. 1 seed, Andy was kind of the hot kid coming in here.

“It’s a bummer for the tournament that he lost. But that’s men’s tennis. Unfortunately, it’s just so deep. Anybody can lose on any given day.”

Gilles Muller, the only man from Luxembourg to play at the Open, ruined Roddick’s 23rd birthday with a 7-6 (4), 7-6 (8), 7-6 (1) Tuesday night.

A day later, the loss was still the talk of the tournament. And not just among the men.

“It was tough. It was sad,” two-time champion Venus Williams said. “I’d like to see an American win this. He obviously had a great chance. But it happens. That’s sports. The best part is that he’ll have another chance very soon.”

Seeded 25th, Dent is now the only American remaining in the top half of the men’s draw. The other remaining U.S. hopefuls are James Blake, who won his second career title last weekend dat New Haven, Conn., and Robby Ginepri, who won his second career title at Indianapolis last month.

Veteran Vince Spadea and wild card Brian Baker also are still playing. Scoville Jenkins, another wild card, lost to French Open champ Rafael Nadal 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 late Wednesday.

There’s more than national pride at stake for the Americans left at the Open. Agassi, now 35, announced Monday that he is not going to represent the United States in a critical Davis Cup playoff against Belgium later this month. The Americans must win if they want to keep a spot in the coveted 16-nation World Group next year.

That means Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe has to find a second singles player to back Roddick in the playoff, which will be indoors on clay in Leuven, Belgium, on Sept. 23-25. So, he’ll be watching Dent, Blake, Ginepri, and maybe even Spadea.

Dent, the son of former pros Phil Dent and Betty Ann Stuart, understands that the popularity of tennis in the United States is, to some extent, tied to the success of the homegrown players.

Dent hopes his class of colleagues can eventually stir up interest for tennis the way that Agassi, Pete Sampras, Jim Courier and Michael Chang did.

“You can’t tell me that if me, Andy, Robby, James, Mardy Fish, a whole bunch of American guys were in the top 10, that tennis wouldn’t be huge in America,” Dent said. “We are working so hard to get there. We want tennis to be huge in the States.” :yeah:

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
I'd say its probably more down to the fact that Roddick is dropping to their level, rather than them catching him up :bigcry:

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
tangerine_dream said:
Right now Robby and James seem to be having a great summer. I don't know if any of these guys will ever help unburden Andy but they sure seem to be trying hard...

American men vanishing at U.S. Open
Only six U.S. players remain after 18 started tournament
The Associated Press
Sept. 1, 2005

NEW YORK - When the U.S. Open got under way, there were 18 American men in the draw.

By the time Wednesday’s play was over, two-thirds were gone with fourth-seeded Andy Roddick’s loss the biggest upset in the Open so far. And of the six Americans left, only seventh-seeded Andre Agassi, an eight-time Grand Slam champion, is a household name.

“It’s a shame,” Taylor Dent said Wednesday after beating Germany’s Lars Burgsmuller 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4. “Obviously, all the hype with Andy coming in here, this was his tournament. Even though Federer’s the No. 1 seed, Andy was kind of the hot kid coming in here.

“It’s a bummer for the tournament that he lost. But that’s men’s tennis. Unfortunately, it’s just so deep. Anybody can lose on any given day.”

Gilles Muller, the only man from Luxembourg to play at the Open, ruined Roddick’s 23rd birthday with a 7-6 (4), 7-6 (8), 7-6 (1) Tuesday night.

A day later, the loss was still the talk of the tournament. And not just among the men.

“It was tough. It was sad,” two-time champion Venus Williams said. “I’d like to see an American win this. He obviously had a great chance. But it happens. That’s sports. The best part is that he’ll have another chance very soon.”

Seeded 25th, Dent is now the only American remaining in the top half of the men’s draw. The other remaining U.S. hopefuls are James Blake, who won his second career title last weekend dat New Haven, Conn., and Robby Ginepri, who won his second career title at Indianapolis last month.

Veteran Vince Spadea and wild card Brian Baker also are still playing. Scoville Jenkins, another wild card, lost to French Open champ Rafael Nadal 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 late Wednesday.

There’s more than national pride at stake for the Americans left at the Open. Agassi, now 35, announced Monday that he is not going to represent the United States in a critical Davis Cup playoff against Belgium later this month. The Americans must win if they want to keep a spot in the coveted 16-nation World Group next year.

That means Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe has to find a second singles player to back Roddick in the playoff, which will be indoors on clay in Leuven, Belgium, on Sept. 23-25. So, he’ll be watching Dent, Blake, Ginepri, and maybe even Spadea.

Dent, the son of former pros Phil Dent and Betty Ann Stuart, understands that the popularity of tennis in the United States is, to some extent, tied to the success of the homegrown players.

Dent hopes his class of colleagues can eventually stir up interest for tennis the way that Agassi, Pete Sampras, Jim Courier and Michael Chang did.

“You can’t tell me that if me, Andy, Robby, James, Mardy Fish, a whole bunch of American guys were in the top 10, that tennis wouldn’t be huge in America,” Dent said. “We are working so hard to get there. We want tennis to be huge in the States.” :yeah:
It will not happen, and the easiest way to look at that is see who is currently at the top 20, add some people outside that have the potential to move in and compare them with the young Americans. James or Robby might occasionaly enter the top 20 but it is hard to see them establishing themselves at the top group on a more permanent basis. In short, Andy will continue to carry the flag of American tennis.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this would be good time to bump this thread. Seeing as I was right.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
None of these guys will make the top 10, the best that they will be is between 11-20 and that's at absolute best. Dent needs to get fitter. Blake is having a good run now, but still needs to improve court construction. Fish needs to be fit and decides if he really wants to play tennis and Ginepri this is the last tournament of the year to make an impact and this is fleeting.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The only way to say they aren't catching up is to say Andy is improving at a fast pace which doesn't seem true right now. That's because Ginepri and Blake are playing great this summer. At the moment certainly they are improving their play faster than Andy. They're on the rise in rankings and even if they both only achieved top 20 then it would still be great for US tennis.

I'm not sure about Dent. He's pretty much the same player he was 1-2 years ago.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Can they get in the top 10? - Of course

Plenty of fairly modest players have spent time in the top 10. You just need to figure out how to pick up the necessary points.

The big problem I would have thought is that they are playing well now. What happens when they are not playing well? Can they pick up wins and points when they are off their peak?

Top 10 players win a lot of matches playing average tennis. Can Blake win matches on other surfaces? Can Ginepri?

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
Blake and Ginepri have more chance than Dent IMO, who seems to rely too much on serve, whereas the first two have more varied weapons.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I could see James possibly hitting the top 10 but other than that I don't see any of the rest of them.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I see them all in the range of 15-30 in the world provided they are playing their best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts