Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
uk viewer here. I am very disappointed with Amazon Prime. There is no on demand replays of the matches. The Us open id a different time zone so i am probably not going to be able to watch the novak and federer quarter final if it happens. Eurosport and tennis tv are far better channels for the tennis.

Also...the commentary is prettt awful for the most part....apart from Jim Courier...Mark Petchy...Robbie K and Nick L. The presenters are awful...no charisma...or chemistry apart from gregg rusedski. I miss the eurosport commentators....Matts Willander....Fru....Chris Bradnam...much much more fluent and charasmatic. How do amazon prime expect us to stay up and watch it live until 4am with no option of replays the next day. This isnt Prime...this is No Frills broadcasting. Amazon Will never do tennis jusfice...Amazon is an audience for all....and a master of nothing. Eurosport has a very dedicated....loyal team that do a great job

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree to a point. I can’t find any coverage at all outside of live matches, and some of the commentators I’ve had to listen to have had me pulling my hair out. Only plus so far is that there are no ad breaks so we get uninterrupted live tennis

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
So will you quit Amazon Prime because of the poor tennis coverage? Probably not, and Amazon knows that.

They don't need to put much effort in it, because they don't compete with other sports channels. Getting exclusive rights for the US Open was just a way to get more people hooked to Amazon Prime.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No offense US citizens...but the american commentary is very dull and boring. Its difficult to enjoy matches like that. What i do if start watching the broadcast 3 hours after it starts and just press that skip 10 seconds button to the next point so i can bypass most of the commentary and save me some time

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Don't know if I agree with the commentary being notably worse than Eurosport - Chris Bradnam and Mats Wilander are amongst the very worst commentators in my book... but overall what I heard was fairly bland.

The framerate wasn't great on my stream and it was also a good 3 or 4 points behind the livescores - which meant I couldn't really live react with others watching. The Sky coverage of tennis was excellent, and the USO in particular has been a lot less enjoyable since they lost it. If Amazon truly is to become the new home of tennis for the foreseeable then I'm actually quite glad my interest in the sport is waning.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Positives:

1. No ads.
2. So far haven't heard Chris Bradnam and Andrew Castle's voices on commentary.
3. Available on multiple platforms.
4. Free to use if you go for the one month amazon prime trial.
5. No Mats Wilander in the studio - thank God.
6. Easy to scroll back and catch up.
7. No lag so far, I'm on a 300mb/s connection to my PC and around 40mb wifi to the TV, which helps.

Negatives:

1. No in play court selection. In other words if you're watching AA you have to go back to menu to go to LA. Eurosport and Sky Go kill Amazon in this regard.
2. Commentary team is not the best, I miss Frew McMillan.
3. In play updates, I don't need them. If I want to know about Kyle ****ing Edmund I would watch him, no need to constantly update.
4. Quality - seems as if there's no UHD.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Don't know if I agree with the commentary being notably worse than Eurosport - Chris Bradnam and Mats Wilander are amongst the very worst commentators in my book... but overall what I heard was fairly bland.

The framerate wasn't great on my stream and it was also a good 3 or 4 points behind the livescores - which meant I couldn't really live react with others watching. The Sky coverage of tennis was excellent, and the USO in particular has been a lot less enjoyable since they lost it. If Amazon truly is to become the new home of tennis for the foreseeable then I'm actually quite glad my interest in the sport is waning.
Haha exactly. Chris Bradnam and Wilander are beyond awful. Both spout absolute superlative garbage. When they're together commentating it gets even worse, they both bounce off each other with their idiocy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was watching Azarenka last night, and Sam Smith and the woman with her literally said “when Vika was at her very best” every other sentence throughout the match. It was excruciating. When she was at her very best she would have made that. When she was at her very best there was no hitting through her. When she was at her very best her forehand was a little harder. ENOUGH ALREADY

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Yeh thank god at least no Castle, Bradnam and Wilanders. but that's the least we deserve.

Really hate that we can't watch any court like you can with BBC or Eurosport. And no on-demand is a joke. Streams seemed a bit dodgy to me except for the Arthur Ashe stream. I'll not bother with Prime if it's gonna be like this next year; I'll find some other way to watch US Open in future.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Interesting to read this thread. When I first heard about Amazon getting the rights to the atp matches, i was terrified (I'm in Canada, turns out not here, only in UK). I assumed they would suck. Hope you have another choice with slams?

I knew Amazon would have no idea on how to present tennis. It's gross and weird that they're even involved ... Why? It's not like they have a shortage of more lucrative things to pillage.

As for the commies, take comfort in that they're even worse in Canada--I can't stand Koenig and Lester and Petchey et al, most commies are a blight--Cahill is the one glaring exception. Sometimes we get feeds from the UK and I hear alot of commies I don't normally hear, and either they are inncocous by comparison (fine) worse (Petchey) or sometimes better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No offense US citizens...but the american commentary is very dull and boring. Its difficult to enjoy matches like that. What i do if start watching the broadcast 3 hours after it starts and just press that skip 10 seconds button to the next point so i can bypass most of the commentary and save me some time
The US commentary is a joke. Chris Fowler and John McEnroe having a five minute conversation about Rafa and Ferrer's perspiration was just stupud.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fjnd it strange how Amazon have got involved. I mean....most people who have prime would watch a movie than to watch tennis so i dont think we can expect anything other than no frills. The presenters bug me...catherjne whittaker (just meh..maybe as a female tennis player correspondent but not as the lead presenter) and daniel hantuchova (too robotic/formal). The Eurosport presenters and correspondents were relaxed and witty. What we have with Amazon Prime is a strange mix. Some good (rusedski...petch...courier...robbie...nick - although they hardly have made an appearance) and some awful ones...(the rest of them...who seem to be doing way too much of the commentating)....Personally i also think Wilander is an excellent commentator...very humble. He gets some calls and predictions badly wrong but he isnt a genie. Maybe he is too opinionated for some but thats his job. Better than the crazy mix we have now

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
uk viewer here. I am very disappointed with Amazon Prime. There is no on demand replays of the matches. The Us open id a different time zone so i am probably not going to be able to watch the novak and federer quarter final if it happens. Eurosport and tennis tv are far better channels for the tennis.

Also...the commentary is prettt awful for the most part....apart from Jim Courier...Mark Petchy...Robbie K and Nick L. The presenters are awful...no charisma...or chemistry apart from gregg rusedski. I miss the eurosport commentators....Matts Willander....Fru....Chris Bradnam...much much more fluent and charasmatic. How do amazon prime expect us to stay up and watch it live until 4am with no option of replays the next day. This isnt Prime...this is No Frills broadcasting. Amazon Will never do tennis jusfice...Amazon is an audience for all....and a master of nothing. Eurosport has a very dedicated....loyal team that do a great job
I know someone who got in contact with customer services, apparently we are supposed to get match replays but they have some sort of technical issue. Teething problems I assume. Hopefully they fix it ASAP.

Agree with everyone about the court selections, that is the disappointing thing for me. I wanted to watch Garbine last night, instead, we got Heather Watson, once again they assume we want to watch anyone British. It really irritates me.

I don't miss Chris Bradman, he is my commentary nemesis, he seems to commentate on every WTA match on BT Sport and I find him unbearable now. Small doses is best.

·
Registered
753 Posts
So will you quit Amazon Prime because of the poor tennis coverage? Probably not, and Amazon knows that.

They don't need to put much effort in it, because they don't compete with other sports channels. Getting exclusive rights for the US Open was just a way to get more people hooked to Amazon Prime.
It's interesting that you say this because I've made the decision not to get Amazon Prime, and to forego watching the US Open. Same with Eleven Sports who have the rights to La Liga and Serie A, but don't even have a TV channel.

I'm drawing a line at this point. It's getting beyond a joke. And these streaming services cannot deliver the same quality as a traditional broadcaster, at least not yet. I could conceivably watch The Man in the High Castle at some point, as I like Philip K. Dick, although I highly doubt I would enjoy it as much as the book. I literally have no interest in anything else on Amazon Prime.

There is no way I'm signing up to it just for the ATP Tour, so I'm getting accustomed to it now by missing the US Open. They don't even give a sh*t about tennis, it's just pure greed. They've already killed the high street, they're not getting any more of my money.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I guess you could buy a VPN service and use Eurosportplayer. Court selection for all courts is available.

Only downside is, there is no longer a monthly subscription available. Only annual sub for 50 EUR, which sucks. Used to buy a monthly sub for AO, RG and USO. Now I'm forced to buy the more expensive annual sub. Or watch Eurosport 1 on free tv but they don't always show the match you want to see.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Only annual sub for 50 EUR, which sucks. Used to buy a monthly sub for AO, RG and USO. Now I'm forced to buy the more expensive annual sub. Or watch Eurosport 1 on free tv but they don't always show the match you want to see.
I see Eurosportplayer every so often for 30/year, or even cheaper.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
I guess you could buy a VPN service and use Eurosportplayer. Court selection for all courts is available.

Only downside is, there is no longer a monthly subscription available. Only annual sub for 50 EUR, which sucks. Used to buy a monthly sub for AO, RG and USO. Now I'm forced to buy the more expensive annual sub. Or watch Eurosport 1 on free tv but they don't always show the match you want to see.
I booked Amazon Primes ES player channel, costs only 6 EUR I think, much cheaper than the annual ES Player sub. Don't like it though, even though it is possible to select every court, you can't see who is actually playing on it, so you basically have to try every stream till you found the Court you had been looking for. :lol:

·
Registered
343 Posts
There's no way to record or replay last night's matches the following day. So unless you can stay up til 5am every night you're going to miss every important match in the tournament. What a fucking useless joke, it's not worth the money at all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts