Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any other people here who's favourite players are all relative underachievers, or players who aren't at the very top of the game? I have favourites who have done extremely well, such as Del Potro, but none of my faves have ever been truly dominant. It seems most people here support one of Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray... But I've never supported any of them. I quite like Federer, dislike Nadal, can't stand Djokovic or Murray.

It's been disappointment after disappointment for me with my love of attacking, attractive tennis. It seems the best way to win these days is to wait for your opponent to make an error. Everyone seems to be anticipating a Djokovic-Nadal RG final; for me it would be a nightmare, but I must unfortunately prepare for the inevitable.

Anyone else who don't have any favourites in the big 4? Or who don't support dominant players? It's not out of principle for me, it's just none of the players I like the most have ever been right at the very top. Not since peak Hewitt, and that's a long time ago, and he still shared his glory with plenty of others.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
You aren't the only one. I can't say I have a particularly liking for any of the big 4 either. I kinda just pull for upsets against all 4 of them all of the time.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Good for you.

Nothing wrong to like the big champs, like some clowns says.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
You obviously haven't had the pleasure of reading Sombrero's threads.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I like Djokovic pretty well, but none are tier one faves for me.
same here. I find some deficiencies in them. Be it tennis ability, personality or style of play.
But I respect Nadal and Djokovic a lot still because they are talented players who don't vulture at least.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
57,606 Posts
same here. I find some deficiencies in them. Be it tennis ability, personality or style of play.
But I respect Nadal and Djokovic a lot still because they are talented players who don't vulture at least.
Hmm. I am very neutral towards both Federer and Murray and dislike Nadal.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I like Djokovic pretty well, but none are tier one faves for me.
Do remind us what your old username was. :lol:

As for the OP: Nope. I can't stand any of them, and neither can Unforced Terror IIRC.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
You obviously haven't had the pleasure of reading Sombrero's threads.
Sombrerero is a Dull fan IIRC. Dull falls somewhere between Slabinsky and Albot in Somby’s tier of favorites.

Do remind us what your old username was. :lol:

As for the OP: Nope. I can't stand any of them, and neither can Unforced Terror IIRC.
I like Frauderer.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I don't support any of the Big 4. That's not to say I dislike them though, but they aren't a part of my support group (see my signature for my support group
).

·
Administrator
6,073 Posts
Even if none are among someone's absolute favourites, the fact is if you have any preference among them (even if it's just disliking one less than the other) then you'll end up rooting for one over the other when they play each other. And since they have played against each other in so many important matches which get talked about more, people will spend more time talking about the big 4.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts

·
23,064 Posts
I am usually supporting those who really has the guts to beat them, especially those in the 2nd tier time to time that has been consistent in the Top but have become "gatekeepers" of the Big Four. I kind of like Murray and Federer's games equally, now I kind of appreciate Fed's a little bit more but for some reason I like to root for Murray -- he seems just down to earth most of the time. I kind of meh about Djokovic due to his robotic style (whilst effective, seems a little bland from time to time especially if defending) and ugh about Nadal's game, although for some reason I like Nadal's personality more than Djokovic. My main fave of course is Stan, and his story since 2013 have been intriguing to watch. I like Haas because even in this age, his speed and variety is very pleasing. I like Del Potro because he is such a gentle giant that could really harm the Bigs.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Do you hate me then? :sad:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
But surely you have at least some inclination towards one over the others...
For years now it has been these four same players in the finals of big tournaments (often being the last 4 left.) If you seriously have zero interest in watching them play then I guess slams must be pretty boring for you.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts