Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alun Jones is playing some of the best tennis of his life this past month. Barely ranked inside the top 200 a few weeks ago, Jones is now poised to crack the top 150 for the first time. A fortnight ago, as the top seed, Jones convincingly won a Futures tournament in Frinton. Last week, again as the top seed, he reached the quarter finals of a Challenger tournament in the UK, and this week, Alun upset the top seed en route to capturing the Nottingham ATP Challenger tournament, in arguably the biggest success of his career to date. This means Jones has now won 12 of his last 13 matches!

With a record like this, Alun must be brimming with confidence. It will be very interesting to see how he goes in the next few weeks in the lead up to the US Open qualifiyng event. Hopefully he can continue to improve his ranking before embarking on the Aussie Pro Circuit...good luck for the future :cool: :yeah:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
It's been a real good few weeks from him. I think he will jump Nathan Healey in the rankings after this result. He's playing a $125K event in Spain next week, hope he does well.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Alun Jones continued his good form into Spain and won his first round over Dustov 6-3 6-4, if he wins one more match he will defend his points and move more up the rankings. He will play Rosol who just beat the number 2 seed Olivier Rochus.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jones is in the final against Verdasco (41) Great effort so far, Good Luck. Getting close to direct for US. That will give us 4 plus a wildcard. Best for a while!:worship: :worship:

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
It's becoming an unbelievable form streak, I think some of the draws have been kind to him but amazing that his fitness has held up despite having virtually no rest for a month.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Alun's been given a wildcard into the US Open thanks to the Aussie federation's agreement with the US. He's going to play qualies at New Haven the week before. Good luck to him...a couple of good wins could get him into the top 100.

The women's wildcard has gone to Jessica Moore...at around 630 in the world, she hardly likely to make an impact. She's only the 29th ranked junior in the world!

Australian women's tennis :bigcry:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alun's been given a wildcard into the US Open thanks to the Aussie federation's agreement with the US. He's going to play qualies at New Haven the week before. Good luck to him...a couple of good wins could get him into the top 100.

The women's wildcard has gone to Jessica Moore...at around 630 in the world, she hardly likely to make an impact. She's only the 29th ranked junior in the world!

Australian women's tennis :bigcry:
Alun :yeah:

Don't knock Jess Moore...as long as she learns from the experience, it's worth it :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Alun :yeah:

Don't knock Jess Moore...as long as she learns from the experience, it's worth it :)
I'm not knocking her, just saying it's a bit sad that our next best prospect outside the top 4 women appears to be a girl ranked in the 600s. Effing Damir Dokic :mad:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Does anyone know where Alun will be playing in the coming weeks, I saw him on the list for China Open but he didn't make the cut and he is going to be with the Davis Cup team the week after. Where will he be in the weeks after that? Will he go back and play challengers?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know where Alun will be playing in the coming weeks, I saw him on the list for China Open but he didn't make the cut and he is going to be with the Davis Cup team the week after. Where will he be in the weeks after that? Will he go back and play challengers?
Not really sure, but looking at his schedule up to this point I'd say he'll go back to challengers and try to improve his ranking to around 100 in time for the Aussie Open which would guarantee him direct entry :bounce:

Good luck in your upcoming tournaments Alun

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not knocking her, just saying it's a bit sad that our next best prospect outside the top 4 women appears to be a girl ranked in the 600s. Effing Damir Dokic :mad:
Well she only just turned 17, put in an impressive performance vs. Safarova R1 US Open, reached the quarters of the juniors, and I think will be ranked top 400 by end of November

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump!

Jess won a 25k challenger in Victoria recently and is now ranked 376 :)

And Alun continues his losing streak :mad:

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Poor Alun underperforming in the last 2 aussie Challengers only making QF in both now his in Tasmania for the last one lets hope he can make a good run :yeah:

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Alun just beat Junaid 6-0 6-1 to capture Burnie Challenger. A convincing win which should see him go to approx 130 in the rankings. I think he is pretty much guranteed a wildcard for the Oz open on the back of this win, nathen healeys dreadful form and luczak and the gooch getting direct entries.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great win for Alun! And he's back up to 131 in the rankings with that win...

He's playing the wildcard playoff (starting tomorrow) and hopefully he can win it (and not Philippoussis :rolleyes:)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts