Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer did much, much better than I expected today. He tightened up rather unfortunately on his match points, but they were on Nadal's serve so I'm not going to be too hard on him. Didn't get to see the last three or so points of the final tiebreak, so I can't comment about those. My first impression--maybe it will change later, as my book and movie reviews are often drastically different a day or week later than immediately after finishing the item in question--is that Federer has figured Nadal's game out well enough to beat him, but Nadal is still mentally tougher. Federer, if I remember correctly, won one game more and five points more, but there were about seven points--from 15-40 to game and 4-5 to 7-5--that Nadal just plain played better.

My hope is that my impression is right, and Roche and Federer come to this conclusion as well: that he came into today's match not knowing he had the game to beat Nadal, so he didn't have the confidence when it came down to the wire, and that now that he has that knowledge, he can take the confidence into the French and not tighten up.

Man, Rafa's tough.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts