Mens Tennis Forums banner

161 - 180 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
If Roland Garros will be held with a crowd, it will be the ultimate testemony what is wrong with our sport.

I can't believe they even consider this. Absolutely digusting, greedy behaviour.

Cases still grow exponencially in France, and Paris is a hotspot. How do you think things will look three weeks from now, with colder temperatures and more people gathering inside? There is a rough winter coming to Europe, trust me on this.

We just need a little more patience. It really looks not bad with vaccines. Why taking the risk now? For crying out loud, we can even have two clay Slams 2021 for the sake of fairness, if this helps saving some lives.

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
You are right.

Problem is he just need some 20ish % votes to be elected because of French system.

Progressists are divided, Labour Party and Ecologists do not fit with pleb anymore and only to what is called Bobo (Boho) in France.... And part of pleb which stayed progressist joined "les Insoumis" which is a Party that is against Finance and Inheritage so will not attract any middle class people who want to transmit their money to their children...

Tories do not have any leader and part of Tories joined Macron.

Fascists are the only one that can gather 25ish % votes or more but anyway they will face a democratic gathering 2nd round.....

So Macron goal is only to reach second round what he could do if he reach 20ish % (which is more or less just some more than blind people that will follow him anyway like Trumpists)

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
If Roland Garros will be held with a crowd, it will be the ultimate testemony what is wrong with our sport.

I can't believe they even consider this. Absolutely digusting, greedy behaviour.

Cases still grow exponencially in France, and Paris is a hotspot. How do you think things will look three weeks from now, with colder temperatures and more people gathering inside? There is a rough winter coming to Europe, trust me on this.

We just need a little more patience. It really looks not bad with vaccines. Why taking the risk now? For crying out loud, we can even have two clay Slams 2021 for the sake of fairness, if this helps saving some lives.

Stop talking like Cassandra....

The French will be definitely held in Fall.

Winter arrives in France in December or January.

Last Year first French cases obviously happened in October 2019, return of the World Military Games in Wuhan and the pandemy started nevertheless in February....

5000 people on Philippe Chatrier would not change the process anyway which is a second wave which cannot be avoided as long as people take subway work make sport in groups go to restaurants and pubs and children and teenagers go to schoolor Universities.

and any way it is not Black Plague, Humanity is far from being Threatened*.... only Federer Slam record.

* pandemy has killed 1 millionish people so far but we are 7 or 8 billion people and 250.000 more a day.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I wonder what the Macron administration has to say about RG being held soon
It's not the only big sports event in France currently. There are football matches (also with a limited number of spectators), there is the Tour de France.

I don't think the French government worries a lot about Roland Garros, since tennis fans are far more disciplined and easier to manage than the spectators of the two aforementioned sports.

These were the scenes in Paris on August 18, when PSG beat Leipzig:

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's not the only big sports event in France currently. There are football matches (also with a limited number of spectators), there is the Tour du France.

I don't think the French government worries a lot about Roland Garros, since tennis fans are far more disciplined and easier to manage than the spectators of the two aforementioned sports.
But both Football and cycling are outdoor sports events. With the new roof on the Chatrier, you have to consider the possibility that 5000 people will be together in what is basically indoors.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Uhhhh, no. There were 154 deaths.

As cases rise, deaths will as well (just much later due to our ability to better treat it)
Nope that was the day before.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
That is true. But clearly it isn't going to stay that low, so I don't know the point of even referring to that figure. The 14-day average in deaths has increased 156% (according to the New York Times)
Yet is still only 1/20 of the peak value of the first wave.

·
Registered
17,620 Posts
Yet is still only 1/20 of the peak value of the first wave.
I don’t understand what this means? Things need to be completely out of control for there to be concern?

Ideally, nobody wants to return to when hospitals were beginning to be overwhelmed.

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
It means that reckless people will continue to underplay the threat until it's too late.

See also: global warming.
Nothing in common with global warming which can ruin Humanity.

Covid can kill 0.5% of Humanity which means 40 million people, which would be replaced in
160 days.
Let say 80 million people with mess in hospitals and sequels...
I know it is very sad for 40/80 million families but Humanity is not endangered.

That said may be I am spoiling a Santa Claus like Secret but we all have to know that we will see our grand parents and parents dying with or without COVID and be ready for it, what would be super sad is if one of us die before his parents or grandparents.

·
justice for all
15,151 Posts
Beyond certain levels, deaths are becoming big data, statistics. But all these people have real friends and families.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I don’t understand what this means? Things need to be completely out of control for there to be concern?

Ideally, nobody wants to return to when hospitals were beginning to be overwhelmed.
Just providing some context numbers to balance your second-hand (from very reliable source NYT) partial information.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Just don't understand))) Today in France is 5 000 cases (just in 2 times less than yestaday)??? And early there was 14 000 smt!

How it even possible???????????????

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dzumhur's coach has done 2nd PCR test as soon as he arrived home and of course he tested negative for Covid

They will most probably sue RG organizers now

161 - 180 of 208 Posts