Mens Tennis Forums banner

3761 - 3774 of 3774 Posts

·
4,635 Posts
"How it's possible that one is 38 years old, another one is 33, and they're still winning and still crushing everybody".

OK, darling, by all means exaggerate to prove your point, but you know damn well Roger is a year and a half younger than you. :p :lol:

nrzkwDVYm3I

·
4,635 Posts
Some words of support for the BNP Paribas Cup juniors tournament. I love the contrast between Marat and Yevgeny.

Safin: "Guys, just enjoy tennis, don't take it too serious. Once you take tennis too serious, then you have big problems and you'll never win anything. Just let it go, meet some people, and live the life. Life is too short."

Kafelnikov: "I wish everyone come and watch this wonderful junior tournament, there's lots of young talent will be playing there and hopefully one of them will win the French Open, like I did".

bIVtTR2lYbA

hcD0znMSyXA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
such a cool interview. still an interesting man, wary of small talk. :)

definitely not politician material.

personal opinion now: I still think that somehow he is still fronting when it comes to tennis. I feel like that it is still some lingering anger there somehow. I know I am probably realllllyyyy offf, but during this interview he was always trying to highlight the fact that there is so much going on behind the scenes etc which can influence the way you play. I would elaborate more but can't really put my finger on it. Just to make it clear it is totally cool if he doesn't want anything to do with this world, even if this means that he will disappear from our radar and we will never have the opportunity to see him play again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think you are right, rosespower - Marat has always been ambivalent about his tennis 'career', even when he was in his prime - I suspect he would not have made the choice for himself - well, he has said as much more than once -but probably felt he had no other options - and once he won the US Open ('by accident' ) he maybe did have 'no choice' ... I think he was similarly 'persuaded' to get into politics - at the risk of repeating myself, he pretty much said that himself as well- but at least once he realised it was not for him, he got out at the first opportunity - which may have been what he should have done when he got that major knee injury....so he learned his lesson I guess!!

I actually think that what we are seeing now is what the 17-18 year old Marat may have done if his parents had not made the choice for him as a child...freewheeling around the world in search of himself - it's kind of ironic that he would perhaps not have had the chance to do so if he hadn't made his fortune in tennis, although, he could of course have earned plenty of cash as a male model...I'm not sure it's anger you are sensing behind his comments....I suspect it is more a sense of irony that something he never 'loved' has provided him with the opportunities to pursue things now that he can 'love'....he's being his true self now, and that is a happy thing to see!!

·
Registered
9,117 Posts

could anyone give a bit of translation on this? at least a few highlights since there are no subtitles in english.

Thanks in advance!

3761 - 3774 of 3774 Posts