Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 of 4 Zverev 2018 slam losses have included a bagel...

So far this season he's copped 2 true bagels (Chung, and Gulbis) and one virtual bagel from 3-0 up in set 4 to lose 6 games in a row 3-6 to Kohlschreiber! Thiem nearly delivered a third set bagel too at RG.

That's quite unbelievable given his big serve and solid everything else.

·
52,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn’t you make this thread at Wimbledon? He didn’t get bagelled today so why make it now ?
I don't think I did. :scratch:

he did get bagelled, just not a true bagel. Virtual (or hidden) bagel = losing 6 games in a row regardless of prior scoreline in the set. So you can be up 4-0 and lose it 4-6 and it would be a bagel in virtual terms cos somebody lost 6 games on the trot.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
You're really reaching, here. The guy didn't get bagelled, full stop.

·
52,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're really reaching, here. The guy didn't get bagelled, full stop.
nevertheless I don't need to write the word bagel for this to be true: he lost the last 6 games of the match. i.e. he let momentum escape him very badly and irreversibly.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
3 of 4 Zverev 2018 slam losses have included a bagel...

So far this season he's copped 2 true bagels (Chung, and Gulbis) and one virtual bagel from 3-0 up in set 4 to lose 6 games in a row 3-6 to Kohlschreiber! Thiem nearly delivered a third set bagel too at RG.

That's quite unbelievable given his big serve and solid everything else.
We already got a discussion about his slam performance going on in the other thread.

My personal take is, whatever strengths he has to offer, his mentality just doesn't seem suitable in a GS, at least for the time being, making his strengths kind of irrelevant outside of slams.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
nevertheless I don't need to write the word bagel for this to be true: he lost the last 6 games of the match. i.e. he let momentum escape him very badly and irreversibly.
A bagel is when someone wins the first game of the set and the last game of the set without losing a game. No need to bastardise Philip Kohlschreiber's achievement. He won games in a row. No need to call it a bagel.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A bagel is when someone wins the first game of the set and the last game of the set without losing a game. No need to bastardise Philip Kohlschreiber's achievement. He won games in a row. No need to call it a bagel.
Thats why he said its a virtual bagel. Relax no one died so dont take it seriously. Virtual bagel has been around and known for a long time in this forum.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It might also have to do with pressure, he does exceptionally well outside majors and everybody think he will replicate that the next slam, new coaches, a lot of training, then his level isn´t there and he founds himself frustrated. Other players in his generation like Chung or Coric are the opposite they slightly increase their levels at some point in slams, specially playing Zverev

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
... This 'virtual bagel' schtick is asinine to say the least.

Ok,I'll bite... Federer suffered a 'virtual bagel' when he lost 9 games on the bounce against Davydenko during their Australian Open Quarter Final clash those years ago.

Nadal also lost 8 games in a row to Djokovic during their French Open final clash which was then interrupted due to rain.If it weren't for the rain then maybe Djokovic could've delivered a 'virtual double bagel in the process'... Boom-Boom! ;)

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
You know you're faulty AF at slams when you can't even bagel yourself properly.

·
52,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... This 'virtual bagel' schtick is asinine to say the least.

Ok,I'll bite... Federer suffered a 'virtual bagel' when he lost 9 games on the bounce against Davydenko during their Australian Open Quarter Final clash those years ago.

Nadal also lost 8 games in a row to Djokovic during their French Open final clash which was then interrupted due to rain.If it weren't for the rain then maybe Djokovic could've delivered a 'virtual double bagel in the process'... Boom-Boom! ;)
Kei actually delivered a virtual double bagel to Chardy at RG last year 3-3 in first set to 6-3 6-0 3-0

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
Always wondered what "virtual bagel" meant, now I know. A very educational thread. Seems like an useful qualifier to describe a massive momentum shift in a match.

·
52,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
... Serena Williams was 'virtually double bageled' a few weeks ago when she led Konta 1-0 and then lost 6-1,6-0.

Boom-Boom!... Over to you :)
Bouchard had that delivered to her by Vinci too.

Always wondered what "virtual bagel" meant, now I know. A very educational thread. Seems like an useful qualifier to describe a massive momentum shift in a match.
well I love this thing :p Diego did it in Istanbul 2 times and actual bagel in the final.

https://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/789753-diego-schwartzmans-special-feat-3-effective-bagel-sets-istanbul.html

·
52,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
How can you dig up such an old thread? I can't find any of my posts from when I joined. :surprise:
I dig up threads I created :lol:

There is a function for that, if tech is working...

https://www.menstennisforums.com/search.php

Type in your username under 'search by username' (and you can pick 'find posts' or 'find threads' and under search options go to 'sort results by' and select 'Last posting date' 'in ascending order', and show results 'as posts'.

your first post was this one: https://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/881681-federer-2017-clay-schedule-thread-bombshell-federer-will-not-play-rg-31.html#post38786433

first thread: https://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/940026-delray-beach-r2-d-shapovalov-def-j-donaldson-6-7-8-6-4-6-4-a.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts