Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
After the win against Coric, there is no player left in the draw that can stop him.

Carreno Busta is an easy opponent for Zverev because he is physically weak, possibly even injured, and there will be a lot of long rallies in the SF. His body won't hold up.

Medvedev and Rublev are very good match ups for Zverev which is evident when we look at the H2H, 5:1 and 4:0 respectively.

Thiem can certainly beat Zverev in a "normal match" but absolutely not in a Grand Slam final. There is a reason why Zverev is 4 years younger than Thiem but still has 4 times as many big titles as the Austrian. Thiem lacks the champion's mindset which was very evident in the AO final this year and the WTF last year.

De Minaur cannot be found in the final.

Dread it. Run from it. Slamrev has arrived and will lift his 1st Grand Slam trophy on sunday.

Registered
Either Zverev Theim or Medwed winning would be good for tennis to be honest

Thiem's AO final experience will surely help him with nerves and hunger though.

Registered
Medvedev beat zverev quite easily in shanghai last year so don't count him out. But he has a great chance to win the title for sure, especially if med and thiem go all out on each other. However, so far thiem and medvedev played better than zverev.

Reactions: Meddy B盲r

Registered
Yes, I said that too. Slamrev will beat the remains of the winner of Thiem-Medvedev 6h semi epic with one more day of rest.
But this isn't a good thing 馃し鈥嶁檧锔

Registered
Yes, I said that too. Slamrev will beat the remains of the winner of Thiem-Medvedev 6h semi epic with one more day of rest.
But this isn't a good thing 馃し鈥嶁檧锔
He doesn鈥檛 have one more day of rest, this isn鈥檛 AO... They all play semis on Friday.

Registered
Well, not after the jinx.

Carre帽o Busta in semis. What a slam

Premium Member
It's an asterisked slam. It doesn't count as a real one.
You know, for someone who said he "doesn't care about this asterisked slam", you sure are active on this forum lately.

I mean the only thing you do is repeat the same bullshit over and over, but still.

Registered
I still think Medvedev and Thiem have a better chance of winning the title than Zverev, unless they exhuast themselves in their (probable) semifinal against each other.

Medvedev is the only player left who hasn't dropped a set, and he has the confidence of having made the final here last year whereas Zverev has never made a slam final. Thiem has a winning H2H record against everyone left in the draw, including Zverev. He also played by far his best match of the tournament in his last round, so if he keeps up that destructive form he should be the favorite against Zverev in a hypothetical final. Zverev has been serving bombs but has also been very inconsistent and throwing in double faults all over the place. I could see him winning the title if he cleans up his 2nd serve but otherwise he's the third favorite IMO. Let's not forget he was down 6-1 4-2 against Coric who barely possesses any weapons compared to someone like Thiem.

Premium Member
Zverev certainly has a shot at the title but he has to raise his level a lot compared to the QF. I'm not sure that will happen. He might still reach the final but if he faces a focused Thiem/Medvedev there he won't get away with any nonsense.

As for Thiem lacking "champion's mindset", I mean... he may be a bit scared of Nadal/Djokovic in a slam final, but if he faced Zverev there, Dom will 100% believe he can win the title.

Registered
Lock? Loool. I respect Sascha's game but is his tennis and mentality good enough to win this slam? I'm expecting the winner from the bottom half (Thiem or Medvedev).

Registered
Zverev was awful against Coric, including in the sets he won, while PCB was impressive throughout the match against Shapovalov. In their fourth set, Shapo was unplayable.

Among the remaining contenders for the title, I would rank Zverev only above De Minaur and Rublev.

Registered
Zverev has played really well in most of his big finals, with aggressive tennis. But that was when he played the big 3, when he felt like a clear underdog, he played freely with nothing to lose. The masters final he lost to Isner/Medvedev, he played pretty poorly and passive. But when he played the big 3, it was a different story. So the question is, will Zverev feel that way if he faces Medvedev or Thiem? I don鈥檛 think so, Thiem and Medvedev are probably favourites vs him and are in better form, but Zverev knows he can beat them and he probably believes he鈥檚 the superior player to them.

At least to Medvedev, even if it鈥檚 not true so he鈥檒l probably won鈥檛 play with that underdog mindset. He鈥檒l need to up his level significantly if he鈥檚 to win this slam, which I won鈥檛 rule out. WTF 18 was a clear example to me on Zverev peaking out of nowhere.

Registered
After the win against Coric, there is no player left in the draw that can stop him.

Carreno Busta is an easy opponent for Zverev because he is physically weak, possibly even injured, and there will be a lot of long rallies in the SF. His body won't hold up.

Medvedev and Rublev are very good match ups for Zverev which is evident when we look at the H2H, 5:1 and 4:0 respectively.

Thiem can certainly beat Zverev in a "normal match" but absolutely not in a Grand Slam final. There is a reason why Zverev is 4 years younger than Thiem but still has 4 times as many big titles as the Austrian. Thiem lacks the champion's mindset which was very evident in the AO final this year and the WTF last year.

De Minaur cannot be found in the final.

Dread it. Run from it. Slamrev has arrived and will lift his 1st Grand Slam trophy on sunday.
I disagree. Theim is 0-3 in Granslam finals. He lost to Djoker at AO and Nadal at FO (twice). There's no shame in that. He lost against the best players at their favorite tournaments, and these matches were competitive. Zverev won't be able to beat either Theim or Medvedev, unless they play a long tiring 5-setter semi on Friday. Zverev has had an easy draw and that's why he's still standing. I won't be surprised if his match with Busta is more competitive than people think. Busta will have an extra day of rest, and I see Zverev making tons of errors. With that said, I rather have Zverev in the final since it'll be better for the sport.

Registered
Zverev was awful against Coric, including in the sets he won, while PCB was impressive throughout the match against Shapovalov. In their fourth set, Shapo was unplayable.

Among the remaining contenders for the title, I would rank Zverev only above De Minaur and Rublev.
Shapovalov wasn't unplayable. PCB did not play the 4th set; he tanked it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts