1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Bummer... Hamstring injuries can take many weeks, if not months to really heal. Definitely a big shadow over his campaign.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Sounds like it's just tightness. If it he an actual strain he'd probably have almost no chance of being fit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
To give Sascha fans some hope, let's remember this:

"Alexander Zverev was afraid of not being able to play the grass season. The world no. 3 suffered an injury to his left hamstring at the French Open during his loss to Dominic Thiem in the quarter-finals, and in his pre-tournament press conference at the Gerry Weber Open on Sunday, he admitted his relief for his injury to have healed much earlier than expected.

'Normally it takes about four weeks for this kind of injury to heal, but it took nine days. At first, I feared not being able to play Halle and Wimbledon at all,' said Zverev. 'Today, I trained properly for the first time and it was ok.

I'm happy to be able to play in the tournament.'"

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Interviews/56551/alexander-zverev-i-feared-not-being-able-to-play-halle-and-wimbledon-/

Side note: he lost 6:1 6:4 to Coric in R1 of Halle. However, Coric won the tournament.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Just got scared of another spanking from Coric. :shrug:

Seriously, I really hope he'll be fine for AO. Another top 5 player drop is the last thing everyone needs.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I guess the injury isn't serious enough to make him miss the AO, but it will probably have a negative effect on his preparation. The media is generally not trustworthy at all with such issues, they even reported Thiem was in danger of missing last years AO after Bresnik and Thiem himself confirmed he was entirely healthy (and some people here valued this article pretty highly as a reminder).

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I guess the injury isn't serious enough to make him miss the AO, but it will probably have a negative effect on his preparation. The media is generally not trustworthy at all with such issues, they even reported Thiem was in danger of missing last years AO after Bresnik and Thiem himself confirmed he was entirely healthy (and some people here valued this article pretty highly as a reminder).
Not only will it affect his preparation, it's probably going to affect his performance the deeper he he goes into AO. How much, remains to be seen.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Judging from the betting market, most betting people don't think Zverev's injury is very serious. The odds of him winning only increased from around 10-11 (9-10 % chance of winning) up to 13-14 (7-7.5 % chance of winning) on betfair after the news came out. He is still the fourth time favorite for the AO by some margin, only slightly behind Nadal.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Sounds like it's just tightness. If it he an actual strain he'd probably have almost no chance of being fit.
Yeah I agree. He did use the word "pull" when referring to the injury but I think its a case of lost-in-translation and he just didn't pick the most appropriate term to use in english.

Hopefully for him a few days rest will have that hammy feeling much better

1 - 18 of 18 Posts