1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Google automatic translation:

ATP - Alexander Bublik: "If there was no money ... I would quit tennis!"
"I don't see any positive in being a tennis player"

In Montpellier two weeks ago, the 22-year-old said: "I hate tennis with all my heart. I hate every day that I have to play." Playing in Marseille, the world 55 has been very open to our colleagues. "To tell you the truth, I don't see any positive in being a tennis player. I only play for money. If there was no money at stake, I would stop right away. " he confided bluntly. With more money, the Kazakh would not even be on the court anymore, according to him. "No, otherwise I would have already retired. Or maybe not ... I haven't gotten to the same point as my friend Bernie (Bernard Tomic) yet. But I'm not far away (laughs) ). " As a reminder, Bernard Tomic had confided in 2017, already in the columns of L'Equipe, that he only played for money.

"I have to practice in this freaking sport every day"
However, it is very interesting to note that Alexander Bublik is not disgusted by tennis but by the professional world. The demands, the demands, the pressure ... This is what seems to bother the 55th player in the world. But without a doubt, tennis is part of his life and what he loves.

"Yes, I have seven tattoos and each one is linked to a specific moment in my life. The one on tennis (a skeleton of a hand holding a tennis ball) is probably to remind me that I have to deal with this freaking sport every day. I love this sport, I can't say I don't, I love to hit the ball. After my career I'm sure I will keep hitting thousands of balls. I think I will die playing tennis. But being a professional player, facing new opponents every day, even if you are in pain everywhere, is difficult. You can't say "I don't feel good so I don't play".

Before concluding: "If you break up with your girlfriend, if you get divorced, you still have to go play. And when you lose, everyone asks you why you lost. But go f-ck yourself, go on the court if you think you could do better than me ... It's this part of tennis that I hate. " he said. A testimony that will be talked about but which turns out to be very interesting.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I'm sure 99% of the tour wouldn't play anywhere near their current level if money wasn't at stake, they just try to swallow the negativity and push themselves hard because the paycheck is waiting, although most wouldn't admit it. Bublik is just being himself, it's pretty evident from his attitude during matches, and I don't blame him for it. He's definitely one of those players who enjoys "playing" tennis, creative shots, fun rallies...... But I imagine he gets stuck in a nightmarish mental fight all the time in matches, between the side of him that tries to flow naturally and play the way he loves the most, and the nagging voice from mentors and fans that tells him to be disciplined, be "boring" and win matches even when he doesn't feel like it. It's unavoidable, I just hope he can find the right balance and at least become a mainstay on tour, since his variety is a great addition to entertainment.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,556 Posts
Well the problem is when the sport turns from recreation to career. Playing with a friend and having a fun match is easy, and the result doesn't matter at the end of the day. But do it for a living, and suddenly you have stress of demands, expectations and of course the everyday work you have to put in. It can be a very lonely sport (See Nick Kyrgios as an example). Being a consummate professional where everything depends on how well you compete out there with a ball is tough. Honestly, I say this for any sport. Yes, there are fantastic privileges for these elite guys who can get paid for what they do (and get to travel the world), but there are quite a lot of big costs and sacrifices that you have to make that ordinary folk don't need to deal with e.g. setting aside education, or for women, it might be choosing to have kids later.

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
"I hate tennis with all my heart. I hate every day that I have to play. To tell you the truth, I don't see any positive in being a tennis player. I only play for money. If there was no money at stake, I would stop right away."

"I love this sport, I can't say I don't, I love to hit the ball. After my career I'm sure I will keep hitting thousands of balls. I think I will die playing tennis."

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
No surprise, at the end of the day, Bublik is playing in the Elite League (that's what Top 100 means), and to get there, you will always have to make sacrifices of any kind. Some get lucky and get really good returns on their investments, like the Big 3, and I'm not just talking about money.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
"I hate tennis with all my heart. I hate every day that I have to play. To tell you the truth, I don't see any positive in being a tennis player. I only play for money. If there was no money at stake, I would stop right away."

"I love this sport, I can't say I don't, I love to hit the ball. After my career I'm sure I will keep hitting thousands of balls. I think I will die playing tennis."
The first refers to the profession and the second to the sport.

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
The first refers to the profession and the second to the sport.
That's not how its worded.

Plus, it'd still be senseless. He says he see's no positives in playing tennis. How bout the one that you love playing tennis?? Lol

·
Registered
958 Posts
This guy really tries to emulate Kyrgios in every way possible doesn't he?

Also literally makes no sense with the whole "I hate tennis with all my heart" and then "I love this sport" two seconds later. Seems to me like someone just trying to be real edgy and too cool for school as usual. Big deal, regular people work crappy jobs they don't like for 8+ hours every day and they don't also get to make potential millions and travel the world. I think players like Bublik and Kyrgios should be thankful that they can make a more-than-comfortable living playing tennis, because I doubt they'd do so well in the real world with their constant mercurial outbursts.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
yeah may be right everything has a counterside . All the same , to say it like that visibly contradicted in the same interview even though one can infere the point of his arguments he does sound contradicted "I hate it I love it" , something is not right . Sounds like someone who'd not be content with any thing . I don't get it . What about the prospect of reaching glory , no other job has a Wimbledom or RG or even a messurable way of being top 10 in the WORLD WHILE earning millions AND what about getting to know the whole world ? Who else has chance like that . Pardon me but this guy puts a lot emphasis on the cons. That's a choice , an actively concious choice .

He's already there with the best . Johnny Groove would not approve

Reactions: eljefe

·
Your visions will happen
48,556 Posts
"There is no money in tennis. I have already retired from the game"

- Every player ever who never cracked top 300 aka 99.9999999999999% of players who ever picked up a racquet

yeah may be right everything has a counterside . All the same , to say it like that visibly contradicted in the same interview even though one can infere the point of his arguments he does sound contradicted "I hate it I love it" , something is not right . Sounds like someone who'd not be content with any thing . I don't get it . What about the prospect of reaching glory , no other job has a Wimbledom or RG or even a messurable way of being top 10 in the WORLD WHILE earning millions .

He's already there with the best . Johnny Groove would not approve
I agree very much when he says it sucks having to play while hurt or you don't get money, I've always hated that aspect of the game, always made us players feel like paid monkeys and sometimes not paid very well at all.

But still, when you are freaking #55 in the world, damn, you gotta push through it man, power through it man. You don't know if you ever can get back to this level again or sustain it. You gotta give it your all for as long as it is feasible. Get that money for another 5-10 years, and chill out the rest of your life.

Biggest thing is guys need to find things to do after retirement OTHER than coaching. It is very much the same grind and toil, with far less glory, money, and job security. He says he feels he is almost doomed to hit tennis balls rest of his life. Fuck that. There are millions of other things to do in life than tennis. I know it is tough to face that prospect of basically starting from 0 after doing only tennis your whole life, which is where I am currently, and where as I said 99.99999999% of players end up when they finish playing and don't want to coach into the grave

But we will see what's going on. Bublik should power through and save all his money and invest wisely so he does not have to coach some fucking brats with douchebag parents for X amount of dollars an hour the rest of his life. THAT is what he is really afraid of.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
"There is no money in tennis. I have already retired from the game"

- Every player ever who never cracked top 300 aka 99.9999999999999% of players who ever picked up a racquet

I agree very much when he says it sucks having to play while hurt or you don't get money, I've always hated that aspect of the game, always made us players feel like paid monkeys and sometimes not paid very well at all.

But still, when you are freaking #55 in the world, damn, you gotta push through it man, power through it man. You don't know if you ever can get back to this level again or sustain it. You gotta give it your all for as long as it is feasible. Get that money for another 5-10 years, and chill out the rest of your life.

Biggest thing is guys need to find things to do after retirement OTHER than coaching. It is very much the same grind and toil, with far less glory, money, and job security. He says he feels he is almost doomed to hit tennis balls rest of his life. Fuck that. There are millions of other things to do in life than tennis. I know it is tough to face that prospect of basically starting from 0 after doing only tennis your whole life, which is where I am currently, and where as I said 99.99999999% of players end up when they finish playing and don't want to coach into the grave

But we will see what's going on. Bublik should power through and save all his money and invest wisely so he does not have to coach some fucking brats with douchebag parents for X amount of dollars an hour the rest of his life. THAT is what he is really afraid of.
Also, I think being a top player changes the equation completely. Because, you're then fighting for glory and being engraved into history. Not sure if Bublik believes he's able to win slams eventually though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts