Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q. What did it feel like? Must have been a difficult situation having the crowd like that. Why did you feel the need to apologize when you didn't really do anything wrong?
ALEXANDER ZVEREV: I mean, it was a tough situation I think for everybody, I think for Roger, for me. For the crowd, there's obviously a lot of Roger fans, as he deserves to have them, all over the world. He's the greatest player of all time. He's also one of the greatest people that ever played on a tennis court. He deserves to have all the fans in the world.

I just wanted to kind of say not even sorry from my perspective but just sorry for the situation, that it had to happen, that we had to replay the point.

I aced him after that, as well, so that probably didn't help the situation. I mean, it helped me, so what can I do?

ASAP Sports Transcripts - Tennis - 2018 - NITTO ATP FINALS - November 17 - Alexander Zverev

·
justice for all
13,137 Posts
This is a surprisingly humble and nice opinion from a player who happens to be arrogant sometimes. Well, as you can see, even the most perky players appreciate Roger's greatness.

It's a pity all those Fed haters and fanboys of the Serb and the Mallorcan can admit this obvious truth about Fed.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
When Zverev doesn't try to play tough, you can see how much appreciation he has for those legendary players. He was 1 years old baby when Federer turned pro. He was growing up watching him play and become one of the greatest in history.
Post match interview was a hard one to watch. Almost USO final level of cringe. He didn't deserve that (and unlike in Flashing Medows the crowd was actually booing him, not the situation). At the same time, I think that was a humbling experience and an important life lesson. He may be a good player already and one of the top players at the moment, but he's light years from being great or universally accepted as such. He has a long way to go and a lot of work ahead of him. You can't expect or demand the love and support. You must earn them.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
Fanboyrev :lol:

However, nobody can top Goffin with posting a pic of him with an RF-kit while practicing.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Zverev is a young upcoming player, so why would he risk upsetting a large section of Federer fans by saying something bad about him. Only someone like Benneteau, who has nothing to lose would dare say something negative about Federer. No one is perfect, we all make mistakes, so hearing all the time about how perfect Federer is just does not ring true. I'm not saying Federer is a bad guy, I'm saying none of the big 3 and all the other tennis players are perfect.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
He is one of the greatest players of course, but he is not one of the greatest people. Highly overrated in that regard. But for some reason the whole world decides to partake in this collective delusion that Federer is such an amazing person. I mean don't get me wrong, he isn't a "bad" person, there's nothing wrong with him, but as far as I can see he's pretty average morally speaking.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Just trying to win the nosetard fanbase so that he won't be heckled as much next time.
I really wish players would stop doing this. It's embarrassing. Djokovic and Nadal also do it too much. If I was a player of Djokovic or Nadal's caliber I would not be treating Federer as a superior. But this is the one orthodoxy of tennis that must not be broken. We saw what happened to Zverev when you transgress :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts