Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Really Shambolic organising by the French Federation, compared to the USTA it's a light and day difference.

Reactions: hammett and emotion

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Draw is out.

Apparently four players were withdrawn because of positive Covid-19 tests (of themselves or members from their team).

Here's the draw:

Cecchinato vs Gulbis is the meeting of two former RG semifinalists. Unfortunately Ernie will lose this one, I'm afraid. He's in bad form since tennis resumed, and he was actually playing well before the hiatus. :(
"A minimum of 4, ..., could raise the figure to 15."
What a joke of this journalism!

All right, just take 15. They arrived no later than Thursday, so 15 cases in 3 days, daily cases = 5.
If the number is closer to 4 rather than 15, say, 5, then the daily cases = 1.

Some context, currently daily case in France is 10000. Scaled by population, Paris should have 300 daily cases.
Considering that the testing frequency among RG participants is 100%, much much higher than normal citizen. Assuming 1% of regular citizen get test. So at the end of day, 5 out of 30,000, or 1 out of 30,000 is what we are talking about. So stop freaking out.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
"A minimum of 4, ..., could raise the figure to 15."
What a joke of this journalism!

All right, just take 15. They arrived no later than Thursday, so 15 cases in 3 days, daily cases = 5.
If the number is closer to 4 rather than 15, say, 5, then the daily cases = 1.

Some context, currently daily case in France is 10000. Scaled by population, Paris should have 300 daily cases.
Considering that the testing frequency among RG participants is 100%, much much higher than normal citizen. Assuming 1% of regular citizen get test. So at the end of day, 5 out of 30,000, or 1 out of 30,000 is what we are talking about. So stop freaking out.
It's worth being worried about, that could completely impact that draw if people test positive after it. Imagine walkovers due to covid? It could be a disaster; I'm not entirely sure of your point.

Reactions: alypen

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It's worth being worried about, that could completely impact that draw if people test positive after it. Imagine walkovers due to covid? It could be a disaster; I'm not entirely sure of your point.
I guess what I meant is it is normal to find some cases among players and their teams. No need to disqualify players if they themselves are not tested positive.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Why don't the French be more creative?

They invented hot air balloons — they could deploy those to safely transport the playes above the corona infested Parisian suburbs / Île-de-France region.

Reactions: jojjeshruk

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
You know... I understand that it's tough to accept that you have to sit out on a GS because you or your coach tested positive while you're feeling totally healthy. BUT all those players suddenly becoming experts in epidimology and PCR tests and thinking they understand more about the matter than the medicial stuff who are doing the tests is becoming a bit laughable at this point.
He is right and whoever is responsible for the withdrawing is wrong. And I seriously doubt there are "experts" behind this decision, the rules that everybody with a positive test or a positive team member gets withdrawn are likely created by some FFT bureaucrats and now enforeced by the same.

I don't know when he received the result of the antibody test/when he was infected, but you can still receive a positive PCR result several weeks (possibly months) after the infection is cleared (also happened with Paire although his infection only dated back a week or so). Alternative is indeed a false positive (unlikely) or a reinfection (extremely unlikely).

Shambolic stuff, the testing/handling of Dzumhur's trainer. If this is the level of professionalism from RG, godspeed
Well, they fail to organize the event properly even in normal times, in a way this was never in doubt.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
If it's so bad then surely Rafa's gonna pull out? That was his excuse for pulling out of the US Open, no? That it wasn't safe enough?
If Nadal is going to play under those conditions, finally we all know how far he is willing to go to get another win at RG.

His excuse for cancelling the US Open ("situation not fully under control") must be one of the biggest and most disgusting lies in tennis ever. I will point it out every day, just to remind you what kind of man Nadal truly is.

He could still make me look like a fool, though, if he just withdraws.

·
Registered
465 Posts
When you already have antibodies and the PCR is weakly positive, you're NOT infectious. That's something every microbiologist will agree with. I don't even like Dzumhur, but that's an absolutely ridiculous decision by the FFT.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

Google translation:

Petar Popovic (coach of Damir Dzumhur): "It's a huge scandal"

The former 23rd world player Damir Dzumhur was not allowed to join the Roland-Garros qualifying draw, which begins on Monday, because his coach, Petar Popovic, tested positive for Covid-19. But this result appears impossible for the latter since he had contracted the coronavirus in early July.

Julien Reboullet, September 20, 2020 at 7:54 p.m.

There would already be between five and fifteen positive cases listed by the Covid checks carried out as part of the Roland-Garros tournament, whose qualifications begin this Monday morning, at 10 am! According to the Spanish daily Marca , would be particularly concerned the Spanish player Bernabe Zapata Miralles , 144th ATP, who had just won the Challenger de Cordçons and lost in qualifying in Rome against the Italian revelation Lorenzo Musetti.

Serbian Krstin, Uzbek Istomin and American Escobedo have also disappeared from the radar. The FFT has not yet confirmed this information but the case of the disqualification of Bosnian Damir Dzumhur (23rd in the world two years ago) is certain. On the phone, his Franco-Serbian coach Peta Popovic explained to us, between disgust and anger, what happened to them.

“Petar Popovic, it seems that your player, Damir Dzumhur, 114th ATP this week, has been withdrawn from the Roland-Garros qualifications because of a positive Covid test. It's the case ?
Yes, but it is not at all Damir who is positive. It was my test that was on the borderline between positive and negative. I've had twenty or twenty-five, tests, over the last thirty-five days, between the United States, Italy and even here in Paris, where we have been for six days and where the first test was negative. But since I had the coronavirus two and a half months ago, there are antibodies that can sometimes give wrong results.

Are there any tests that would be open to interpretation?
Doctor ( Bernard ) Montalvan ( head doctor of the FFT in charge of all the health protocol) told me that I was at the limit and that they were giving themselves a few hours to make a decision. They did take it after a few hours, but without giving me another test. I find it very serious because human error can happen. They didn't give us a chance to be tested a second time to see if it was negative. I wanted at least a second sample to be taken in my nose, because there are so many false negatives. I am 99.9% convinced that this positive is false and, above all, I am very sad for Damir, who was well prepared. He does not have the right to defend his chances. They disqualified him like that. It is a huge scandal.

But did you know the "rules" of the game?
Yes of course, but we did not know that we would not be entitled to a second test to prove a possible false positive. I find that quite inhuman. We felt so small and weak. I'm sure if it had happened to a bigger player he would have had the opportunity to prove that it's not a fake. I think if Rafa was in our case, he would be entitled to a second or third test to verify. So we're really disgusted with what's happening to us. We leave with a bitter taste. Damir was just outside the final draw, two or three places outside. He had just made two very good matches in Rome ( victories over Verdasco and Robredo) and I think he could come out of the qualifiers and hope for something in the big picture. But there you go ... I'm going to retest tomorrow and the day after tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be negative. "

·
Registered
3,252 Posts

Google translation:

Petar Popovic (coach of Damir Dzumhur): "It's a huge scandal"

The former 23rd world player Damir Dzumhur was not allowed to join the Roland-Garros qualifying draw, which begins on Monday, because his coach, Petar Popovic, tested positive for Covid-19. But this result appears impossible for the latter since he had contracted the coronavirus in early July.

Julien Reboullet, September 20, 2020 at 7:54 p.m.

There would already be between five and fifteen positive cases listed by the Covid checks carried out as part of the Roland-Garros tournament, whose qualifications begin this Monday morning, at 10 am! According to the Spanish daily Marca , would be particularly concerned the Spanish player Bernabe Zapata Miralles , 144th ATP, who had just won the Challenger de Cordçons and lost in qualifying in Rome against the Italian revelation Lorenzo Musetti.

Serbian Krstin, Uzbek Istomin and American Escobedo have also disappeared from the radar. The FFT has not yet confirmed this information but the case of the disqualification of Bosnian Damir Dzumhur (23rd in the world two years ago) is certain. On the phone, his Franco-Serbian coach Peta Popovic explained to us, between disgust and anger, what happened to them.

“Petar Popovic, it seems that your player, Damir Dzumhur, 114th ATP this week, has been withdrawn from the Roland-Garros qualifications because of a positive Covid test. It's the case ?
Yes, but it is not at all Damir who is positive. It was my test that was on the borderline between positive and negative. I've had twenty or twenty-five, tests, over the last thirty-five days, between the United States, Italy and even here in Paris, where we have been for six days and where the first test was negative. But since I had the coronavirus two and a half months ago, there are antibodies that can sometimes give wrong results.

Are there any tests that would be open to interpretation?
Doctor ( Bernard ) Montalvan ( head doctor of the FFT in charge of all the health protocol) told me that I was at the limit and that they were giving themselves a few hours to make a decision. They did take it after a few hours, but without giving me another test. I find it very serious because human error can happen. They didn't give us a chance to be tested a second time to see if it was negative. I wanted at least a second sample to be taken in my nose, because there are so many false negatives. I am 99.9% convinced that this positive is false and, above all, I am very sad for Damir, who was well prepared. He does not have the right to defend his chances. They disqualified him like that. It is a huge scandal.

But did you know the "rules" of the game?
Yes of course, but we did not know that we would not be entitled to a second test to prove a possible false positive. I find that quite inhuman. We felt so small and weak. I'm sure if it had happened to a bigger player he would have had the opportunity to prove that it's not a fake. I think if Rafa was in our case, he would be entitled to a second or third test to verify. So we're really disgusted with what's happening to us. We leave with a bitter taste. Damir was just outside the final draw, two or three places outside. He had just made two very good matches in Rome ( victories over Verdasco and Robredo) and I think he could come out of the qualifiers and hope for something in the big picture. But there you go ... I'm going to retest tomorrow and the day after tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be negative. "
Popovic..another one...🤦‍♀️

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That's like saying: "On the verge of being pregnant."
Tbh, that would actually make just slightly more sense to me personally, since you can at least try as hard as you can to get pregnant by different methods if you want to, and thus kind of 'be on the verge of getting pregnant, can't you?
Haven't tried that myself though, so I don't speak from experience.

But trying as hard as you can, or being forced to try as hard as you can, to test positive for a disease, while still being on the verge of possibly not managing to catch the disease, nor test positive for it - no sense whatsoever to me.

·
11,046 Posts
Why don't the French be more creative?

They invented hot air balloons — they could deploy those to safely transport the playes above the corona infested Parisian suburbs / Île-de-France region.
Then the RG neighborhood would complain about Hot Air Balloons instead of flood lamps :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't know... this is becoming a farce of an epic, epic proportions. They can test 'positive' any player or team member out there, and remove them from the tournament without 2nd independent lab testing and verification. It is getting absurd. Not much noise will be raised for qualifiers, but imagine this happening (as we already seen it in USO) to higher ranked players?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts